Extension To 24 Instead Of 16 Months Without Special Permission

No name
Posted
Posted

I'm so confused. I think I have great news but I'm surprised I have seen nothing around the net regarding this. If it is accurate.The last time my GF went to Mandaue to get my extension she asked for confirmation on how many more time i could get an extension. the answer, we thought would be one more time before I make my next VISA run. Hey, I'm poor, no cash in the bank. sniff sniff, someone want to invest in my bank account? haha...Anyway, she the BI official told her I could now extend up to 24 months without getting special permission from the Division Chief which means a trip to Manila. She said she asked the woman so many times that "She thought I was dull." LOL She found it hard to believe too.Nobody else has heard this? I checked the BI site just a couple of days ago, nothing there about it. I've wrote about it elsewhere and no one has heard of it. So I'm afraid the woman was new and wrong.Confusing me even more is that the day before, I got a reply from BI when I asked how to do it, t hey explained I write a letter to the Division Chief and once approved then I must proceed to Manila to pay the fees and get the documents I need. For me, that kills the benefit of getting the extra six months. There are several direct flights out of Cebu to International locations so I can bypass paying for a trip to Manila to get out of the country now.Has anyone heard anything? I will post more when I know for certain. It would sure help my budget out if I could stay in the PI another six months. I'm a bit blind at the moment, hope this is making sense.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I'm so confused. I think I have great news but I'm surprised I have seen nothing around the net regarding this. If it is accurate.The last time my GF went to Mandaue to get my extension she asked for confirmation on how many more time i could get an extension. the answer, we thought would be one more time before I make my next VISA run. Hey, I'm poor, no cash in the bank. sniff sniff, someone want to invest in my bank account? haha...Anyway, she the BI official told her I could now extend up to 24 months without getting special permission from the Division Chief which means a trip to Manila. She said she asked the woman so many times that "She thought I was dull." LOL She found it hard to believe too.Nobody else has heard this? I checked the BI site just a couple of days ago, nothing there about it. I've wrote about it elsewhere and no one has heard of it. So I'm afraid the woman was new and wrong.Confusing me even more is that the day before, I got a reply from BI when I asked how to do it, t hey explained I write a letter to the Division Chief and once approved then I must proceed to Manila to pay the fees and get the documents I need. For me, that kills the benefit of getting the extra six months. There are several direct flights out of Cebu to International locations so I can bypass paying for a trip to Manila to get out of the country now.Has anyone heard anything? I will post more when I know for certain. It would sure help my budget out if I could stay in the PI another six months. I'm a bit blind at the moment, hope this is making sense.
I haven't heard of it but it will cost you nothing much to find out if it is true or not.Extensions can be arranged up to a month in advance so when you are at 15 months, try to have the extension done in Cebu. All, they can do is say no.What I have read about, on PI at night, is foreigners living in Manila past 16 months and some past 2 years. They say they just keep going into the Manila office, with no special reason given why they haven't left the Philippines and no special need mentioned for needing to extend and they are getting extensions.Regards; Jim

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Flirtilizer,I noticed your post last night and was just waiting to see if anyone was going to comment on your situation and no one has! So, I'm going to jump in and give you my personal opinion as I see it! Since you haven't seen anything on the website about any changes to the rules of tourist visa extensions is that because there has been no changes to the original memorandum concerning tourist visa extensions which still stands, 59 day tourist visa extensions up to 16 months! Since you already contacted the BI office in Manila and they gave you instructions in how to apply for an extended stay for an additional 6 months, all you can do is try it, but there are no guarantees! Just make sure you present yourself in a clean appearance and good attitude when speaking with the BI official interviewing you and bring with you any pertinent documents paragraph 9A below, that may help the official in determining your personal and financial status!Your last resort if everything else fails, is to leave the country, return and start the visa extensions all over again up to 16 months! Or get married and get a 13a permanent resident visa! You will need an (ECC) Exit Clearance Certificate prior to you departure and a cheap follow on ticket ($35 to $75 with Asia Air or Flying Tigers) from your point of original prior to your departure returning to the Philippines, because most airlines overseas will ask to see your follow on ticket before they will let you board the airplane bound for the Philippines! I've just presented you with the facts as I know them and what I experienced myself over the years! It's not really open to interpretations, because it's all in the Philippine government website for all to read in black and white! Others can chime in to add anything if I missed of importance! I'm just here to help and not get into any confrontations with other members, because it's nonconstructive and it just confuses the readers more! Good luck! How to apply for a visa extension: http://www.ehow.com/how_5885260_apply-obtain-tourist-visa-philippines.htmlBelow are just a few excerpts that you can find on the internet, the Official Philippine government website:9A: TEMPORARY VISITOR’S VISA FOR PLEASURE (TOURIST VISA) * Copy of Credit cards and/or travelers checks or foreign exchange endorsement of the passport * Letter from inviting party (if applicable) indicating complete address and telephone number * If employed, applicant’s Certificate of Current Employment from Employer to include employer’s full name, address and telephone number, applicant’s length of service and salary details * If self-employed, photocopy of latest Income Tax Return and copy of Personal Assessment Number (PAN) Card CURRENT VISA EXTENSION FEES (this maybe a few yrs old, but it's what on the website)TOURIST (NON-RESTRICTED) ADMITTED INITIALLY FOR 21 DAYS MAY BE EXTENDED FOR ANOTHER 38 DAYSVisa Waiver 500.00Visa Waiver Application Fee 1,000.00Certification Fee 500.00Express fee (Certification) 500.00Express fee (For processing) 500.00Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each item 10.00 AFTER 59 DAYS OF STAY (INITIAL 21 DAYS + 38 DAYS EXTENSION)Every month of extension 500.00Fine for overstaying - for every month or a portion thereof 500.00Application Fee (every two months for non-restricted) (every month for restricted) 300.00Alien Certificate of Registration FeeAdult - 14 years above 1,000.00Re-issuance of ACR for (2nd entry of every entry after 59 days)Adult - 14 years above 250.00Certification Fee 500.00Express fee (Certification) 500.00Express fee (For processing) 500.00Emigration Clearance Certificate Fee 700.00Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each item 10.00AFTER 6 MONTHS OF STAYEvery Month of Extension 500.00Certificate of Residence (Temporary Visitor) 1,400.00Application Fee(After 6 mos. to secure regular Emigration Clearance Certificate at the Alien Registration Division) 700.00Certification Fee 500.00Express Fee (Certification) 500.00Express Fee (For processing) 500.00Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each item 10.00 SECOND EXTENSIONVisa Waiver Application Fee 1,000.00Visa Waiver Fee 500.00Certification Fee 500.00Express fee (Certification) 500.00Express fee (For processing) 500.00Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each item P10.00 DOWNGRADING OF STATUS FROM ANOTHER CATEGORY TO 9AAmendment Fee 500.00Visa Fee 1,000.00Extension Fee 500.00Application Fee 300.00Emmigration Clearance Certificate 700.00Certificate Fee 500.00Express fee (Certification) 500.00Express fee (For processing) 500.00Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each item P10.00 MOTION FOR RECONSIDERATIONMotion for Reconsideration (MR Fee) 500.00Administrative Fine (for every year of overstay however 18 months overstay considered two years) 5,000.00Certification Fee (For every transaction) 500.00Express fee (Certification) 500.00Express fee (For every month extension) 500.00Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each item 10.00NOTICE:Effective February 15, 2008 all applicants for extension (tourist visa) under the VIMS (VISA ISSUANCE MADE SIMPLE) are required to pay in addition to immigration fees, Certification fee of P500, Express fee of P500 plus Legal Research Fee of P10 for every transaction.All applicants for extension are required to dress properly. Applicants wearing shorts, sandos, and slippers will not be allowed entry to Immigration Office.

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Flirtilizer,Maybe if you coordinate your dealings concerning your extended stay in the Philippines with the BI main office in Manila with the your local BI office in your area, you may save a trip to Manila! Because in most cases when tourists are nearing their maximum stay in the Philippines of 16 months or for Balikbayans of 24 months, they will usually be referred to the Main BI office in Manila for that sole purpose. While you're at it, maybe you can ask for a longer extension not just for 6 months, but 12 months or even longer, but it could be expensive, approximately P21,000 for just 6 months and double that for (1) year! It's cheaper this way in the long run than leaving the country and returning! It's just up to the individual if they can persuade the BI officials of their request in accomplishing their extended visa application at their local BI office nearest their residence! Nothing is written in stone when it comes to the extended stay in the Philippines, because there are no guarantees with the BI official doing the interview! A neat appearance and a pleasing attitude goes a long way with the Filipino people behind their 9 to 5 desk jobs! Nothing to lose by giving it a try! Good luck!

Edited by MrBBtheFilAm

UZI
Posted
Posted
Hi Rusty,I hope you report back here with your experience on the ground as it were. Something for you & other readers to be aware of is, there is a difference between the Division Chief and the BI Commissioner. The latest info on extending Tourist Visa is this from what I understand, from the BI Website:
What is the maximum extension of stay that can be granted? Foreigners holding temporary visitors visa pursuant to Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 and aliens admitted under E.O. 408 may extend their stay in the Philippines every 2 months for a total stay of 16 months. Extension of stay after16 months, up to 24 months need the approval of the Chief of the Immigration Regulation Division. Extension of stay after 24 months need the approval of the Commissioner. (MCL Memorandum dated 31 July 2007)
No mention of needing to go to Manila. New info to me was the bit stating that the Commissioner can approve BEYOND 24 months.Good luckUzi.

No name
Posted
Posted

I do plan to attempt to get an extension as soon as I'm within 30 days. Yes there are other areas where practice doesn't seem to quit meet published policy. That happens in the USA too. Its not specific to the Philippines.One thing I hear about often is that when people make their VISA run they don't stay out for three days. They just return as soon as they get to Thailand or other country. I'm afraid to do that and find that BI has started following the published policy. I'd hate to come back early and find out that I just wasted a ticket and now must by two more.I've got an email from BI that I'm going to publish on another site so I cant do it here also. Google may zap us both if I do. It spells out what one is suppose to do.I have third hand knowledge of someone in Mindanao that just sent a letter, got it approved and then got his extension to 24 months without ever going to Manila.. I tend to discount third hand though, you never know if they got all the information. Most people are not like me, I ask the same question about 5 different ways until the person gets tired of the question.... LOL Hey, I was a revenue agent (IRS) and I had to deal with very crafty lawyers and CPS's all day long. :welcome11: So you learn....

UZI
Posted
Posted
I do plan to attempt to get an extension as soon as I'm within 30 days. Yes there are other areas where practice doesn't seem to quit meet published policy. That happens in the USA too. Its not specific to the Philippines.One thing I hear about often is that when people make their VISA run they don't stay out for three days. They just return as soon as they get to Thailand or other country. I'm afraid to do that and find that BI has started following the published policy. I'd hate to come back early and find out that I just wasted a ticket and now must by two more.I've got an email from BI that I'm going to publish on another site so I cant do it here also. Google may zap us both if I do. It spells out what one is suppose to do.I have third hand knowledge of someone in Mindanao that just sent a letter, got it approved and then got his extension to 24 months without ever going to Manila.. I tend to discount third hand though, you never know if they got all the information. Most people are not like me, I ask the same question about 5 different ways until the person gets tired of the question.... LOL Hey, I was a revenue agent (IRS) and I had to deal with very crafty lawyers and CPS's all day long. :) So you learn....
Hi Rusty, My earlier post about my friend getting a 3 year extension was accidentally deleted so here it is again as a point of info for others too:
It would be reasonable to think that Commissioner's approval might be granted only rarely. Apparently, this is not the case. My local BIR told me that it was a fairly routine matter to get an extension from The Commissioner. All I needed was some copies of relevant pages of my passport and a letter simply requesting that I would like to remain here with my wife (cannot get a 13a because asawa was married in Philippines before). The office then faxed that to Manila together with their own assurance that I had not been doing anything naughty. In 2 weeks I received the approval to stay in country for a total of 3 years from my last exit. No trip to Manila for an interview was required.
It seems to tie in with my post quoting from the BI website that the Commissioner can grant extensions BEYOND 24 months. As for your question regarding 13a and annulment, I am waiting for my friend to reply & will post his answer as soon as I get it. cheersty.gif Uzi

UZI
Posted
Posted
Hi Rusty, As for your question regarding 13a and annulment, I am waiting for my friend to reply & will post his answer as soon as I get it. cheersty.gifUzi
Rusty,My reply to your question would be off topic here so please see new thread:13A Annulment questionHope it answers your question.cheersty.gifUzi

No name
Posted
Posted

My partner has a friend that works at the BI office in Cebu. Today, she confirmed with him that the procedure has changed. I will be able to extend my stay without a letter to the division chief. I will be able to extend to 24 months by paying an extra 1000P per month.I suppose the procedure could change again but for now, that has been confirmed with two different BI Officers.

No name
Posted
Posted

I finally found the source of this change. I'm surprised it seems to have escaped most of us. There was an amendment passed early in June.The amendment extends the time to 24 months.Copy of the law is http://www.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/1221310729!.pdf