A Typical Hospital Bills

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last Tuesday our eldest son, 22 years old last July, underwent a ruptured appendectomy operation. He just started to have his small celfone repair shop business and on the process to pay his own PHILHEALTH and SSS as a self employed individual. Sad to say, he is not yet covered by any of it yet because PHILHEALTH requires a minimum of 3 months and SSS is 12 months? (although i am not sure on this) In short, as parents, we shoulder everything. I never realized it is this expensive nowadays. Maybe expensive to a typical Filipino like me!Here it is...running biil in a ward of a private hospital in CDO!http://www.cagayan-de-oro.com/ArchdiocesePastoral.htmRoom accomodation @ 750.day (4 days)..................3,000.00Pharmacy during the operation...............................8,781.04Laboratory.........................................................1,330.00Central Services................................................... 105.00Operating room...................................................9,772.65ER/OPD............................................................... 180.00PF..................................................................25,000.00TOTAL............................................................48,168.69Partial payment made as of October 31.................30,500.00Balance...........................................................18,168.69Medicine Purchase outside:10-29-08.............................728.0010-30-08...........................3,152.0010-31-08...........................2,909.3511-1-08...........307.57 still running tooPartial total of med outside..7,096.92Because it is already ruptured and there is a little complication in his intestine, we will release on Monday. With that the final bill can already be figured. Even if you are receiving dollar, to have a 60K pesos iadditional expenses n a week is really too much to some family like us! We do have PHILHEALTH and PAG-IBIG and SSS, been paying also for a life insurance policy so whatever happen to both me and my husband, the children are protected... http://www.prudentialife.com/integra_memorialization.asp now we missed the HEALTH CARE plan which I will really be working out this coming January with some Expats Ladies in CDO. If in a group, it will be lesser! I will still look around for another company that will offer the best! With God's grace, he will be released Monday, but really a lesson learned the hard way! I hope some of you will ponder and learn!

Edited by tweety

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Wow! We are just glad he will be OK and very sorry to hear about the large bill. Please keep us updated and thank you for the information, I know the info will help a lot of people and maybe that expat insurance group might be a great idea for you to look into forming, as I know that it would surely help others who do not have insurance. Our prayers are with you all and your son for his speedy recovery.

AngelofBroden
Posted
Posted

A heartfelt "get well soon" to your son from my family... Great idea to shop for a good health plan for the expats too!

daisy
Posted
Posted

Thanks Lee and Nila % Angel and Broden....another prescription 2,108.00 pesos.... he is getting well but still on liquid diet. As regards to group health insurance, I will still shop around....as far as I know there re two option on this, the renewal every year and the 5 year payment enjoyable for 10 to 15 years....just like a pre-need plan.I will also inquire about it in the Electric company here (MORESCO-1) where my brother in law works because there's is really Zero balance in the hospital for any member of his family!

daisy
Posted
Posted

Thanks God it is over and he is home at last...Here the total bill:Room accomodation @ 750.day ( 7 days)............5,250.00Pharmacy during the operation.......................8,640.49Laboratory..............................................1,330.00Central Services......................................... 709.00Operating room........................................9,772.65ER/OPD................................................... 180.00PF.......................................................25,000.00 was reduced after a lot of bargaining with the SurgeonAnesthesiologist.......................................12,500.00 will reduced too along with the SurgeonSurgery assistant Fee.................................2,000.00TOTAL OF HOSPITAL BILLS AND PF ................................................65,382.14Discounts I got after plenty of appeals!Hospital Bill.....................................262.50 (Duh!)PF Bill..........................................7,000.00Total Discount................................7,262.50Total Hospital bills....................................................................58,119.64Medicine Purchase:119.6410-29-08.............................728.0010-30-08...........................3,152.0010-31-08...........................2,909.3511-1-08..............................307.57 11-1-08...........................2,108.001-2-08.............................1,990.001-2-08...............................307.571-03-08............................. 854.001-4-08............................. 170.00TOTAL MEDICINES......................................................................12,526,49TOTAL HOSPITAL EXPENSES In a ward of a typical Private Hospital........70,646.13And this is excluding misc. expenses! Like transportation, food, water, etc! Huh!With this, I will really pursue my desire to form a group medical insurance over and above PHILHEATH, at the start of 2009!

cagayanstar
Posted
Posted
SugarwareZ-011.gif Daisy based on my experience I think PHILHEALTH is great,better get one for your son and apply as IPM (Individually Paying Member) which requires P300.00/quarterly,and I bet after one payment which covers one quarter you can already avail the benefits BUT it depends upon the case and the counterpart of this health insurance depends upon what hospital and whats the case of your patient.Last year,when my son had his 5th major operation for hirchsprung's diasease,I admitted him at Northern Mindanao Medical Center under a private care but at first the PHILHEALTH office in the hospital refused to cover him and at that time I paid 3 quarters already,so what I did was I went to the PHILHEALTH office and talked to the manager there andd at first they refused really to cover my son because his case was a major operation but then I told them that if my son was not covered then at least PHILHEALTH will have at least a percentage of the operation,after long arguments they called their doctor there and they reviewed a list of health cases and my son was later realized was a PHILHEALTH beneficiary.My son's operation was really expensive and I was glad PHILHEALTH covered part of the hospital bill.It was the surgeon,pediatrician,anaesthesiologist that was very ,very expensive.But take note that the only hospital in CDO that maximizes the PHILHEALTH benefits is NMMC alone,and if you are having a private doctors then for sure they are very expensive since they dont honor PHILHEALTH.As what I understand if its a major operation then PHILHEALTH will not do any refunds.After my experience,I was thankful I got PHILHEALTH because they helped me a lot and I even opened PHILHEALTH policy for my parents.I am still hoping that they will still help me on the 6th and final major operation of my son this coming December.Praying for your son's fast recovery Daisy..

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)
SugarwareZ-011.gif Daisy based on my experience I think PHILHEALTH is great,better get one for your son and apply as IPM (Individually Paying Member) which requires P300.00/quarterly,and I bet after one payment which covers one quarter you can already avail the benefits BUT it depends upon the case and the counterpart of this health insurance depends upon what hospital and whats the case of your patient.Last year,when my son had his 5th major operation for hirchsprung's diasease,I admitted him at Northern Mindanao Medical Center under a private care but at first the PHILHEALTH office in the hospital refused to cover him and at that time I paid 3 quarters already,so what I did was I went to the PHILHEALTH office and talked to the manager there andd at first they refused really to cover my son because his case was a major operation but then I told them that if my son was not covered then at least PHILHEALTH will have at least a percentage of the operation,after long arguments they called their doctor there and they reviewed a list of health cases and my son was later realized was a PHILHEALTH beneficiary.My son's operation was really expensive and I was glad PHILHEALTH covered part of the hospital bill.It was the surgeon,pediatrician,anaesthesiologist that was very ,very expensive.But take note that the only hospital in CDO that maximizes the PHILHEALTH benefits is NMMC alone,and if you are having a private doctors then for sure they are very expensive since they dont honor PHILHEALTH.As what I understand if its a major operation then PHILHEALTH will not do any refunds.After my experience,I was thankful I got PHILHEALTH because they helped me a lot and I even opened PHILHEALTH policy for my parents.I am still hoping that they will still help me on the 6th and final major operation of my son this coming December.Praying for your son's fast recovery Daisy..
He is already a PHILHEALTH member just for this quarter but you have to be a paying member for at least 3 months. O don't know the coverage... but we opted for Maria Reyna because at first we we just think it was a simple stomach ache and besides it is just near our house. When the doctor said ruptured I could not gamble my son's life by transferring there..but anyway a very hard lesson for me really. One thing, I don't have a proper mind setting that day because I even forgot that a very good family friend's husband is a surgeon, Dr Zalsos and I forgot to call his wife when asked who will be my Surgeon. I just said whoever is there in the Hospital or it is up to them! That "whoever" cost me a lot because the total hospital bill excluding some of the medicines is practically the same with the PFs! And Dr Mike Saab of NMMC is a fellow Beta Sigman! Above all, one of our Church Pastors is a Surgeon Dr. Alan Melicor and I have a cousin who is working in Del Monte Hospital and he is in my phone book because every now and then I text him for medical advise! He even asked why I didn't call him.....in short Missy girl, I know a lot of Surgeons but when the nurse on duty asked me who to call, I WAS BLANK! As in! :1 (235): His surgeon is a Dr Jose Red (a Filipino) and I just met him that day! Lossing my mindset cost me alot! 1%20(103).gif Anyways, he is doing well and safe...and that what's matters most!Thanks Missy. See you soon! Edited by tweety

• 1 month later...
Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info.Hope he is fine now!It still hasn't convinced me to join any health scheme. I will still be happy to be self funded.In any case, no point of me having health insurance for this type of event as I would be dead from a ruptured appendix before I could reach proper medical care.I can still remember an event in 1996 when a woman died near our house on Leyte. She had given birth and had lost a lot of blood so her family carried her 3 kilometres to our house because we had a car. Unfortunately, my father in law had gone in the car into the town. So they had to wait for the next jeepney. She was still alive when they put her in the jeepney about 20 minutes later but died on the way into town.I have been in hospital at the Chong Hua hospital in Cebu City in 2004 for kidney stones. 2 nights accommodation, all meals, medicines, ultra sound, doctors visits and one of the best private rooms in the hospital was about usd $300. I was happy with that. Regards: Jim Sibbick

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Years ago in Subic we were returning to Olongapo from Subic City. There were two of us and we hired a special jeepny (no Stops)since it was late at night and few jeeps run. We were only a short way out of town when we see a filipino at the side of the road waving franticly at the jeep trying to get him to stop. He almost ran in front of the jeep so my friend told the driver to stop. They were trying to get to the hospital because their little girl was very sick. Problem the hospital is off the route. So we get out and gave the driver an extra P50 to take them to the hospital. I hope they made it. It was good we stopped we stood there in the dark another 30 min before another jeep came by. This was in the early 80's and there wasn't much traffic late at night.

• 2 years later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Thanks God it is over and he is home at last...Here the total bill:Room accomodation @ 750.day ( 7 days)............5,250.00Pharmacy during the operation.......................8,640.49Laboratory..............................................1,330.00Central Services......................................... 709.00Operating room........................................9,772.65ER/OPD................................................... 180.00PF.......................................................25,000.00 was reduced after a lot of bargaining with the SurgeonAnesthesiologist.......................................12,500.00 will reduced too along with the SurgeonSurgery assistant Fee.................................2,000.00TOTAL OF HOSPITAL BILLS AND PF ................................................65,382.14Discounts I got after plenty of appeals!Hospital Bill.....................................262.50 (Duh!)PF Bill..........................................7,000.00Total Discount................................7,262.50Total Hospital bills....................................................................58,119.64Medicine Purchase:119.6410-29-08.............................728.0010-30-08...........................3,152.0010-31-08...........................2,909.3511-1-08..............................307.57 11-1-08...........................2,108.001-2-08.............................1,990.001-2-08...............................307.571-03-08............................. 854.001-4-08............................. 170.00TOTAL MEDICINES......................................................................12,526,49TOTAL HOSPITAL EXPENSES In a ward of a typical Private Hospital........70,646.13And this is excluding misc. expenses! Like transportation, food, water, etc! Huh!With this, I will really pursue my desire to form a group medical insurance over and above PHILHEATH, at the start of 2009!
does any one have any recent costs of their hospitalization/medical bills? and what was the experience you had at the hospital ? Although this is an old posting,,,,It still shows that by having/enrolling in PHILHEALTH you do have some protection at a cost of 100php per month/1200 a yearand the benefits if used correctly can save you some money,. Illness can strike us at any time.www.philhealth.gov.ph Edited by ed villas