Where To Find Quality Beef

cra
Posted
Posted

In living here over 7 years, I have yet to find locally raised quality beef to cook at home. I have heard about a farm raising/selling waygu in CDO but can't find an address. Does anyone know where to find quality Sirloin, Rib Eyes, Tenderloin, etc....in the Visaya and Mindanao. Specific shops and addresses please would be appreciated. Thanks

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The best local beef I ever eat was above CDO at the Del Monte golf clubhouse. THey serve great steaks and sell frozen meat to go. http://noelautor.hubpages.com/hub/The-Del-Monte-Pineapple-Plantation-in-Bukidnon-Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

If you do find a waygu supplier in the Philippines I would be interest to know as well.Waygu is possible the best beef,well here in Aus anyway. The best gets exported to Japan for a hefty price.

cra
Posted
Posted

I will be heading to CDO next month and will look around. There is supposed to be a place called UMALAG Farms there that produces waygu but I can't get an answer back from them. I have tried the Del Monte meat and it is okay but not the quality I am seeking. I am suprised there aren't and decent suppliers of good meat at a good price in Cebu. Wow!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I will be heading to CDO next month and will look around. There is supposed to be a place called UMALAG Farms there that produces waygu but I can't get an answer back from them. I have tried the Del Monte meat and it is okay but not the quality I am seeking. I am suprised there aren't and decent suppliers of good meat at a good price in Cebu. Wow!
You might wish to stop by The Ranch in Cebu City and talk to James the owner about where he gets his meat, I think somewhere in Mandaue, maybe the place he gets his might know where to get what you seek.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I have been looking around the area of Bataan in Luzon now for about a year and have not found any.

• 2 months later...
Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm gonna bump this one up as I too am interesting if finding a good steak ..... to cook at home that is

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Real Wagyu beef (sometimes also called Kobe Beef) is so expensive none of us can afford it, or at least not often. Really! The cheap cut is in the one hundred dollar a pound range. Top grade is closer to five hundred dollars for the real deal. So when your favorite meat market or restaurant starts touting their Wagyu beef for $10 or $20, or as Brothers did ... a hamburger made of Wagyu beef for a few hundred pesos, take a deep breath and check to see which leg they are pulling. What you get may or may not be pretty good beef, but buddy, it ain't really Wagyu. Do a search on Google for Wagyu beef and hit the images section. When you see the marbling of real Wagyu beef, you'll catch on that most, if not all, of what is being sold as Wagyu is simply not. Yeah, what has happened is that a few Wagyu cattle have been exported, they have been bred with other cattle, but since the blood line has some Wagyu in it, they are marketing it as the real deal. But it ain't the real McCoy. And a lot of the stuff marketed doesn't have even a smidgeon of Wagyu. It is just hype and greed. There is some Wagyu in the USA that is almost pure bred*, and I hear there are some in Australia but how pure I do not know. The real deal comes from Japan and is grown on less than 300 small farms where the cattle receive attention and care that would bewilder most cattlemen. * The story I read goes a Western (geographically speaking) US doctor was visiting Japan. He had an excellent reputation and was called in, secretly, to treat a member of the royal family in Japan. Whatever he did worked and to show their appreciation he was given a small number of Wagyu cattle, which were forbidden to export live. But since it was a gift from the royal family, that rule was ignored. The beef came in via Mexico and went to a ranch the doctor owned. Over the years the cattle were bred to other cattle and the line was no longer pure. But after a few decades, the decedents of the original gift cattle were being re-bred to for purity. You'd have to talk to a geneticist to explain how that works, but I have heard of the process before. Anyway, the Wagyu available in the USA comes from this bloodline. Their bloodline has been diluted and then bred back to close to pure.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Australia has pure bred wagyu since 1990 and most is exported to Japan but because of the financial crises is available at times at a good price from a butcher here in Brisbane known as The super butcher. They used to be exporters but sold off that section to become a butcher that buys in bulk and sells at good prices. Also when exporters get stuck with a cancelled order this butcher buys and sells cheap. nothing better than a wagyu steak.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I gave up looking for a good steak besides getting one at the place called Canvas restaurant on special occasions in Ayala mall but the price is high. The onwer is an Aussie, I think he imports his beef.I just buy the lean beef cuts at the grocer, put olive oil over it and season with fresh black pepper. Get a good quality chef pan hot, put some oil on and cook sizzling hot on one side until nicely browned then put some salt on the exposed side about 20 seconds before you turn it over. Once turned over salt the other side and continue to cook until how you like it. I also chop some garlic up at this stage and throw that in as well but don't let it burn. With all these flavours and this is the way chefs cook steak as I was one myself once then even the beef you buy there can taste acceptable to eat.

• Like 2