Philhealth, How Much They Pay

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Time to throw out a few more questions on this....Will having PhilHealth help avoid having the Kano Tax charged? I have heard a few horror / war stories of foreigners being charged a higher amount than locals (at select hospitals) because of the thought that "they can afford to pay more"... My assumption is that PhilHealth will also monitor what is being charged - correct? Or am I just wishfull thinking on that one...Second Question: If a person has an out-of-country medical plan (I intend to bring my medical insurance with me), will the amount that PhilHealth pays be different or will they always pay out the same amount? I looked but could not find any info on this...

• Like 2

daisy
Posted
Posted
Time to throw out a few more questions on this....Will having PhilHealth help avoid having the Kano Tax charged? I have heard a few horror / war stories of foreigners being charged a higher amount than locals (at select hospitals) because of the thought that "they can afford to pay more"... My assumption is that PhilHealth will also monitor what is being charged - correct? Or am I just wishfull thinking on that one...Second Question: If a person has an out-of-country medical plan (I intend to bring my medical insurance with me), will the amount that PhilHealth pays be different or will they always pay out the same amount? I looked but could not find any info on this...
The Hospital have the guidelines issued by PH as to the amount charged to its office. This is standard and the same with Filipinos and foreigners although I've heard but I have no proof that the PH card issued to Indigent Filipinos are of higher PH budget. All hospitals will deduct PH right away and the Senior Citizen's benefits before it will go to any insurance coverage. This is why in the country, if you will get a medical insurance, PH membership is a prerequisite.
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Pardon my ignorance but i'm not really up with what insurance companies do as i have no faith in any of the buggers at all but if a person already has full medical insurance, then why would you want to be paying Philhealth as well? I know some insurance companies have written in their ploicies that they will not entertain claims made where there is a second insurer involved so in your endeavour to make sure you are protected, you may actually be putting yourself at risk.If an insurance company can find ANY excuse not to pay then they WILL use it. Just moved out of our house after the sale was completed and we went to cancel our house insurance and be refunded for some 6 months.The company says they can't re-imburse us because their computer system will not allow it :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: these arseholes just make me sick.

• Like 2

retired
Posted
Posted

Bundy ( hope not Ted ) :-)If you have insurance that will cover you while living abroad i would say you are in the minority excluding military . You have a good point but venture to say that very few expats have that kind of insurance and given the low cost of the Phil health it's a no - brainer . Maybe more important is the fact that the Philhealth will get you into the hospital in case of emergency as foreign policies often require some extra paperwork . And , i think that most would agree that the Philippines is not particularly good at " paperwork " . :-)

• Like 1

daisy
Posted
Posted

Most local medical insurance, has a certain limit every year on your card. Say if you have a medical insurance of 150K every year, your PH is a big help every hospital admission! However, if you are an expat living in the Philippines with a 6 digit monthly income and lots of bank deposit then probably these discounts will not give you an impact! "tsup tu u" !!!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Bundy ( hope not Ted ) :-)If you have insurance that will cover you while living abroad i would say you are in the minority excluding military . You have a good point but venture to say that very few expats have that kind of insurance and given the low cost of the Phil health it's a no - brainer . Maybe more important is the fact that the Philhealth will get you into the hospital in case of emergency as foreign policies often require some extra paperwork . And , i think that most would agree that the Philippines is not particularly good at " paperwork " . :-)
I just went to HR Friday to find out more about retirement. The discussion was all good news. When I retire my retiree health insurance coverage is worldwide though I have to pay up front then submit copies of the bills for reimbursement. Even when I reach 65 and Medicare becomes primary coverage I can maintain a retiree gap insurance that covers me worldwide when medicare would not pay, and at a reasonable cost. Great news for my likely retirement to the Philippines.I also found out that there is a big drop in my retiree health insurance monthly premiums if I work just another seven months. So it looks like everything is on track to make the move sometime next spring.
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this has been posted before but here is the PhilHealth website and it will tell you what it covers and what is paid out ..... if you can understand it that is ...... :hystery:http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a linking of most other Phlhealth related topicshope this can assist others as its beem helpful to me thank you Daisy for the info listed below on what philhealth paid on your sons claimLast month my son, 23 years old was admitted for his severe asthmatic condition, the charged was supposed to be 12K plus, less PHILHEALTH, 5K plus.It helps a lot. Usually hospital here will accept and administer you right away without down payment if you are a member! It is when they will notice that you are exceeding the PH medicine budget that they will start to give the prescription.http://www.philippines-expats.com/index.php?/topic/2943-phil-health post#8http://www.philippin...-hospital-bills

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted
It may be true that a lot of people don't have full medical insurance. I certainly don't have private health insurance here in Australia..........i can't afford it! But i can afford to carry up to 12 months and renewable travel insurance when i'm in the Philippines, it's not as expensive as you might think and provides everything and in some cases more than local medical insurance.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.philstar....ubCategoryId=63

PhilHealth hikes premium July 1

By Sheila Crisostomo (The Philippine Star) Updated May 13, 2012 12:00 AM Comments (7) post-comments.jpg

Manila, Philippines - Higher premiums for individual members of the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) will take effect on July 1.

PhilHealth President and CEO Eduardo Banzon said the premium of members under the individually paying program (IPP) will increase from P1,200 to P2,400 per year.

Banzon said the move is aimed at enhancing the “financial risk protection” of PhilHealth members in line with the universal health care thrust of the Aquino Administration.

“To efficiently implement product improvements and sustain the provision of National Health Insurance Program benefit packages, increasing investment in health care through the adjustment of current premium contribution rates for all members is essential,” he added.

The adjustment was provided for in Philhealth Board Resolution No. 1572 that was issued last year.

IPP members pertain to self-employed individuals; those who have been previously employed and are currently without means of income; employees of international organizations and foreign governments based in the Philippines that do not have prior agreement with PhilHealth for the coverage of their Filipino employees; and unemployed individuals who are not qualified as indigents.

Also covered are parents who are not qualified as legal dependents, indigents or retirees/pensioners; retirees who did not meet the minimum of 120 monthly premium contributions to qualify as non-paying members; and children who are not qualified as legal dependents.

IPP members may also belong to “organized groups” like PhilHealth’s Kalusugan Sigurado at Abot-Kaya sa Philhealth Program or KaSAPI program.

IPP members can avail themselves of “lock-in” by advancing their payment for two years for P1,200 per year on or before June 30.

“If paid on or after July 1, 2012, the annual premium contribution will be P2,400 per year,” the circular stated.

Meanwhile, Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim yesterday signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with PhilHealth vice president Shirley Domingo for the health coverage of thousands of poor city residents.

Under the MOA, the city government will be paying P600 per member covering July 2012 to July 2014.

Manila social welfare chief Jay de la Fuente said they would be giving away an additional 17,777 PhilHealth cards to Manilans. – With Sandy Araneta

Edited by daisy
  • Like 1