A Friend's Wife Needs A New Heart Valve, Where To Go?

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

I have an American friend on a very limited budget and his wife is in need of a new heart valve.Where can they go for help?It would be a shame for a very nice, 34 year old woman to lose her life just because nobody knows where to start and she has no access to the money/services necessary for her survival.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have an American friend on a very limited budget and his wife is in need of a new heart valve.Where can they go for help?It would be a shame for a very nice, 34 year old woman to lose her life just because nobody knows where to start and she has no access to the money/services necessary for her survival.
I guess the first question is where are they located?She perhaps has Phil Health cover ?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

does she have her US visa? if not get one, then put her and her husband on the plane, simple. As the US will pay for most anything for US citizens & family members.At least she will have a GOOD CHANCE of being helped,, HERE. unless you have the $$ you have no recourse.. OH you may try PAGCOR (?) they give money for health related issues.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
A sad situation and I wish them both well. Another story as to why anyone living in Philippines must have a back-up plan and means to provide for life’s unpleasant surprises.
  • Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

There are synthetic, pig doner and mechanical valves on the market. Usually no big deal as they have been replacing valves for many years. I would think that Cebu and Manila both have large hospitals with a qualified cardiologist staff. Money however is another issue.

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am sorry to hear of anyone who may die needlessly, and hope they will find a way to get help. Maybe this is yet another reason to be part of a large expat community such as a forum like this, since people who know people are usually willing to help those they know, whereas people may be skeptical of those they do not know well. While I doubt donations from any group could add up to be enough for an operation such as that, people often know people and can sometimes know the right people to help. Posting on a forum such as this is a good start and I pray someone on here knows a doctor or medical group who might be willing to help. Please keep us updated and maybe some of us can at least say a prayer for her. Also please let us know what area the couple is in. Thank you for posting this. Prayers are not always the answer, but they sure cannot hurt.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

It wouldn't hurt to exhaust one's search on the internet! Here's a few that I just did a Google search!Good luck and best wishes to the lady who has the heart valve problem! http://www.pcso.gov....h-programs.htmlhttps://www.google.c...507l1.17.3l21l0

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted (edited)

They are in Tayud/Liloan/Cebu and have no Philhealth.I told them to apply,l but to use it for surgery means a minimum of a 6 month wait.I can't believe that they have lived in Cebu for so many years without knowing they could at least have had Philhealth.It only covers hospital fees, but that could be 1/4 to 1/3 of the total bill sometimes.We have tried all of the links online with no response as yet, but are still looking and applying anywhere we can, so keep sending the links here as you find them and I will be happy to try all of them.I am not looking for cash and do understand some people do such a thing.All we are wanting is the surgery if we can just find the right sponsor.I would never put myself in a position as trustee over any account, as cash only requests definitely would turn me off from donating.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Not sure there is much they can do but you might want to check with the Foreign Assistance Center.Link

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Has lived in the philippines for several years, and has NO PHILHEALTH at a cost of only 1200php year.NO PLAN B. . (oh jesus)they should not walk BUT run to the PHILHEALTH office NOW to get enrolled. I was here for several years always thought I could not get it, OH HxxLL was i wrong, I got mine in sept07, that was the 3rd quarter.so my premiums was paid from JULY so i got a extra 2 months coverage (backdated) .As ARt's post is helpful , check out those sources,, ALSO as i have posted before in other topics contact the AMERICAN association philippines, they may be able to offer some kind of assistance(not financial),leads to how to work this situation out. MAYBE you can get this health issue worked out here, BUT,,keep in mind the US and its health policies treat those who have little or no income and the US hospitals does not keep its patients HOSTAGE if they cant pay. altho they will require some down paymentperhaps he is eligible for medicaid or mediCALthen again is PLAN B

• Like 1