Cuisinart Ice-30 Ice Cream Maker - Manila

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was just down in Manila and visited the Mall of Asia. There is a kitchen gear shop there called Living Well, on the 2nd floor outside (not in the air conditioned inner mall). They have lots of Lodge cast Iron, some better quality stainless cookware, Wilton baking pans, plus Breville and Cuisinart small appliances. So for us food lovers, its is kinda nirvana, though Rustan's Dept store is pretty good place to thin out your wallet too. I try and limit my visits to once or twice a year so I don't end up living on hotdogs and beans (or dried fish and rice).The Cuisinart ICE-30 Ice Cream Maker grabbed my eye. I have the ICE-20, very similar but not as nice as the ICE-30, both require you to keep a bowl in the freezer (up to 24 hours ahead of time). Not a big problem since I have a small chest freezer to store it in. But it does mean I have to refreeze it each time, so multiple small batches doesn't work so well. The ICE-30 is a better unit, though it does have similar drawbacks. Still it should be good for you guys in the lowlands that want a better quality ice cream without paying for Haagen Dazs. I didn't get a price on it because we were pressed for time but it probably won't be nearly as cheap as the US model. It was, however, 220v so no adapter/step-down transformer necessary.I love good kitchen equipment and I've got burned on stuff here that simply didn't peform (like the last citrus fruit juicer at SM Appliances) so when I see good gear, I get excited! And I love ice cream, so I thought I'd share a good store to get a maker at.post-69-0-30700900-1326339277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
-added image correctly- when adding images click on "Add to Post" before posting.
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just saw this thread... for what it's worth: We decided that in the tropics, having an ice cream maker that contained it's own refrigeration compressor was what we would bring... it works great and we make ALOT of ice cream products, sherbert fruit desserts etc. We like it as you plug it in, add the mix and in an hour we have ice cream customized to our tastes.. .without having to freeze the vessels etc. Can make one batch right after another.post-2054-0-67081600-1332167561.jpgCuisinart ICE-50BC

Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Guess I missed this thread as well when on vacation. I sent one of these units to Mindanao. We put the barrel in the freezer for nearly 48 hours and it would not freeze. Bummer, no Ice Cream for us.The neighbor across the street sells Ice Cream from a push cart. We took the powder mix to him and it was made with ice surrounding an aluminum barrel. I missed seeing how it was made but I know there was a lot of manual labor involved.

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
We put the barrel in the freezer for nearly 48 hours and it would not freeze
That was our concern when deciding and why the compressor equipped unit was the direction we went. It just seemed too hot there for the manual unit to work well.
  • Like 3