Medicare In The Philippines

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

AQUINO TO REQUEST OBAMA Allow US Medicare coverage in PH hospitals for Fil-Am retireesCynthia De CastroAJPress7:47 pm | Friday, February 17th, 20121 share11 7 In a recent forum with the joint foreign chambers of commerce and other leaders of the business sector, President Benigno S. Aquino III said that he will bring the concerns of the Philippine healthcare industry to the attention of US President Barack Obama when he visits the United States by the middle of this year.“I will be having a visit with President Obama sometime, towards the middle of the year. You can count on my…requesting him again for a consideration of accrediting more of our facilities,” the President said.In connection with this, the US Medicare PH, Inc., a national advocacy organization, sent a letter to President Aquino through DFA Secretary Albert Del Rosario and Ambassador Cecilia Rebong thanking him for his commitment to help future Fil-Am retiring seniors.In the letter signed by Daisy Tucay, Chair and Eric Lachica, Organizer of US Medicare PH, Inc., it was noted that “according to the official 2010 US Census, there were 3,416,840 Filipinos in America, including mixed race Filipinos. More than 400,000 are 65-years-old and older. We estimate that more than half- about 200,000 are seriously considering retiring in their homeland.”“Our Filipino American immigrant professionals are retiring at the rate of 100 PER DAY. They are part of the daily “tsunami” of the American “baby boomers” who reach the age of 65. Under US law, they can take their Social Security pensions anywhere in the world. However, the law does not provide them Medicare coverage if they are in the Philippines – unlike private insurance.”The national advocacy organization also informed President Aquino that “US Congressional Delegate Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) and others will introduce this month a Guam-PH Medicare Hospitalization bill that would address our concerns and achieve your priority in welcoming our Fil-Am seniors.”US Medicare PH outlined the advantages of the Bordallo’s Guam bill as follows:(1) It is a good start with a non-controversial bill to open doors in the US Congress. Guam US citizens because of proximity to Manila are currently allowed to seek treatment in the Philippines and are reimbursed by Medicare. In 2010, more than 2,600 Guamanians received more than $7,000,000 in care in the Philippines, according to Guam’s Select Care program.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't think the US Congress would pass a bill to permit overseas reimbursements for Medicare beneficiaries. Passage of such a bill would be contrary to the interest of the American healthcare industry and pharmaceutical companies.If you are an American retired in the Philippines, Medicare will actually cost you more than private pay over the long term. Medicare is a co-pay system. When you pay Medicare B & C premiums, your monthly out-of-pocket is around $200 a month or $2,400 a year. Should you visit a good local doctor once a month, I don't think the bill will be P8,000. The cost for a home visit by a medical doctor in the Philippines is less than P4,000. Try getting that level of medical service in the United States. Unless you are a celebrity or movie star in need of prescription drugs ($10,000 a visit), forget getting a doctor to come to your home.For surgery and hospitalization, I would go to Hawaii. You are covered under Medicare A for the rest of your life under a 80/20 co-payment system. As soon as Medical City (Guam) is completed and operational, you can fly to Guam for Medicare A. Guam is closer and the airfare is cheaper.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The charges for medical care costs here for US citizens would probably double as hospitals and doctors know they can charge more for the same services ..... and yes I know we pay more now that Filipinos but the cost would really go up ..... so it is a loose .. loose situation ..... they would get your medicare payments and you (like in the US) would have to pay the difference ..... and who knows the Phils gov. may decide that was you have medicare you are not eligible for the PhilHealth program ..... stranger things have happened ....... I really can't see how medicare is going to help permanent residents with PhiliHealth or other insurance ..... but then I guess it could help retired military personal but I don't really know about that .... IMHO

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Military retirees residing in the Philippines have to take Medicare Part B once they turn 65 in order to retain their TRICARE military health care coverage. Whilst there is no Medicare yet in the Philippines, TRICARE picks up the tab where as the retiree pays their co-pay and total cost of their medical cost and in turn file their claim for reimbursement of their co-share of 70 to 75%. So, weather Medicare is approved in the Philippines or not, military retirees will get their fair share of their co-share and not left holding the bag for the total amount of their medical expenses, which sometimes do happen when claims are denied by TRICARE for some reason and that's another long story, For those U.S. retirees in the Philippines, Google search "TRICARE Wall of Shame" which is on Facebook and just read some of the wall comments concerning TRICARE in the Philippines! Just 3 true short stories; A military retiree had cancer, TRICARE was so slow in reimbursing his co-share he couldn't no longer afford his cancer treatments! So instead of putting his family in a financial hardship, he went without his cancer treatments and just waited to die! May he RIP! The 2nd military retiree is 100% VA vet. Since the Manila VA clinic is under staff and uncertain of their medical practices, he just decided to go back to his VA clinic in Sothern California where he has been there since this past Xmas due to complications of his bout with edema and was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. The 3rd military retiree caught an infection in a Manila hospital that spread through his urethra, had his prostate removed thinking the infection was hiding in there, but the infection returned. He spent thousand of dollars of antibiotics to no avail for 6 months! He contacted Tripler Army hospital and was approved by the Fisher House in Hawaii and finally got treated after 6 months! V.A. Clinic Manilahttp://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=682Medical City in Guam for Medicare coverage:http://www.medicare....m-medicare.html, "The Fisher House" at Tripler Army hospital in Hawaii may be one's last resort for a military retiree to get medical help: http://www.fisherhou...al-center-i-ii/

Edited by Art2ro

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i would not l count on Guam for medical care they are sending patients to the philippines for health related issues now, the US does not need congressional approval it is already mandated in the new health care bill that off shore payments are permitted , selected hospitals would not be permitted to change conditions of the accord as approved, you are not required to use medicare if you do not wish to , it would only be an other option, the 20% you would pay in Hawaii would be a lot more than the cost of the operation in the philippines, compair cost the Philiipines verses Hawaii, the president of the USA can do this as it stands now if he wishes. Also i am here in the US now going to VA clinic they charge my medicare every time i go for care, and if service connected and you have insurance they charge your insurance first, all vets will pay the medicare part B premium when obama care kicks in completely in 2014

dean01
Posted
Posted

Do you pay the bill then make the claim. I hope you do as the local doctors and hospitals could rort the system. They could send bogus claims. For the rest it would be quite hard to make up claims. Let's see how this develops

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes. My strategy would be to forego Medicare B, C & D if I reside in the Philippines. There will be, "Additional adjustments to Social Security and Medicare." according to a speech delivered by President Obama. This will happen after the 2012 elections irregardless of which party is in control. I doubt the adjustments will favor us as seniors and payers into the system.Guamanians were flying to Hawaii for more advanced medical treatment until the Philippine connection was established. The Medicare business is so lucrative for Medical City that the ownership decided to construct a $200 million hospital in Guam. The first $75 million came from the Philippines. The balance will come from international private equity. If I had a serious medical condition while living in the Philippines, a trip to Guam is less than 4 hours and on a discount airline like Cebu Air, the ticket price might be between $300 and $400.Mike S is correct. If Medicare becomes portable, the doctors and hospitals in the Philippines will double or triple their prices for American patients.

Edited by JJR

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

as medical treatment becomes more affordable in the USA, there will be a shortage of doctors, how many will jump at the chance to practice in Guam? from what i hear most will be filipino doctors and nurses, you can catch your cheap flight to Guam pay 20% part A and 100% for the doctor who is filipino or use your medicare in the phillipines using filipino doctors and nurses, i think i will take my chance in the Phil, skip the flight.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
how many will jump at the chance to practice in Guam?
Depends. Are there good golf courses there? :thumbsup:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
how many will jump at the chance to practice in Guam?
Depends. Are there good golf courses there? :thumbsup:
Just don't walk in barefeet along their shores or swim along the reefs! http://www.squidoo.com/conushttp://www.virtualto...uam-TG-C-1.htmlWe sure like going off topic huh! Edited by Art2ro