What Did You Work On While In The Military?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I basically worked on two types of aircraft my entire 30 years of service, 12 yrs active duty overseas and 18 yrs as an Air Reserve Technician (ART) as a reservist and civil service employee at Travis AFB, Ca.C-141 Starlifter from 1967 to 1968post-682-0-65406400-1329544929_thumb.jpg post-682-0-49626300-1329544959_thumb.jpgC-5 Galaxy from 1968 to 1997post-682-0-84707300-1329544984_thumb.jpg post-682-0-46257700-1329544995_thumb.jpg post-682-0-43888700-1329545005_thumb.jpg

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well I was born too late. I went in in 1973 at age 17 and Vietnam was winding down and I was too young to go. So I did nothing of any significance! And I was pissed! I had older friends who went to Vietnam and had a great time. So no great war stories from me.....

• Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Teletypes, radio transmitters and receivers, and one time I got to climb the ship's main mast and wash off the radio antennas while we were playing war games and the ship was under strict emcom. I was sponging off the highest antenna when we got a fly-by from the "enemy" jet fighter. He was so close I swear I could've nailed him with my wet sponge! Color me part of the 'gator Navy. Sadly, I never got farther west than Guam.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Art, I spent a year at Ft. Benning GA our outfit was about a mile from the main airbase had C141's and C5A's coming and going to Nam every day.

• Like 5

ThommoPerth
Posted
Posted

I was in tanks, Centurions then Leopards in the Aussie army for 22 yrs, no active service.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This picture taken from our Yahoo group. I served US Army Signal STRATCOM MAAG-Taiwan 73-76.tme6+mw+battery.jpg

• Like 5

Bruce
Posted
Posted
What Did You Work On While In The Military? Getting out .......
I have a friend who had an older brother that was a ranger and did 3 tours in 68-70. He was drafted but bucause of his older brother, he did not have to go over seas. He did not care about what the army wanted. He went AWOL 20 + times before he was kicked out. Which was his goal.He was from Miami and in north Miami there was a movie studio in the 50-60's. His mother worked a a jewish deli close by and she met many of the movie stars back then who would come in to eat. When he was younger he used to see them also. Once when coming home AWOL, he knocked on his mother's apartment door and Don Rickles came to the door in a bath robe......His discharge was an anticlimax. The post Bird just told him I am getting tired of this AWOL crap and my friend said then give me a discharge... and the colonel did!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Looking back on my history working on the C-141 and C-5 aircraft, I can recall some of the crisis these airplanes, men and women in uniform went through! It was my honor to serve and contribute my share to the cause to keep those planes flying in support of these world crisis! The Viet Nam attempted baby airlift that crashed and burned with some survivorsThe G.I. home coming when Hanoi fell! Some didn't make it home! The invasion of Panama out to get NoriagaKuwait invasion by Sadam Hussan’s army! Believe me or not, there wasn't a single plane at Travis AFB for a few weeks, but they all returned one by one for extensive repairs and the cycle started all over again sending them back out in support our troops on the ground and in the air! there's probably other crisis in the 30 yrs I've served, but I forgot them since it has been over 40 yrs now!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

US Air Force Munitions Technician. Assigned to Kadena AB Okinawa Japan. Started in trailer maintenance moved up to handling and transportation to the flight line. Carried lots of 20mm, AIM-7 & AIM-9 Missles to and from F15's. Most fun part was working with EOD on disposal operations.

• Like 5