Best Burger?

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

So who has the best burger in the Philippines? Right now I have two contenders: Brothers Black Angus Burger and Army Navy's Burger (your choice of 1, 2, or 3 patties). Both are pretty good, but the Brothers is more expensive, I think. It has been awhile since I bought one. Are there other great burger spots that I am not aware of? Either chain or single restaurants?I am really a pizza guy, then a ribs guy, and finally a burger guy. Right now, as far as I am concerned, the best burgers are at my house, providing I can get my hands on good ground beef. That is not guaranteed at all! But the local SM has a new meat outfit and the ground beef has improved.Inspired by that I started doing deep fried burgers. "ACK!" you scream. And I understand that is not the traditional approach to burgers. But I kinda like the crunchy exterior that deep frying gives. And I only deep fry them for a little bit. Just long enough to finish the exterior. The interior is already pre-cooked. How?Sous Vide. That is frenchy for "under vacuum". I simply vacuum pack the patty, submerge it in water, and cook it at the desired temperature I want it at. You want medium rare? That's 135F. You want Medium? That's 145F. You prefer Medium Well? I cook it at 150F. Sacked up in a plastic pouch so the water never touches it. It is just a matter of time until the burger is heated completely through and held there long enough to be sure all the little bacteria are kaput. The lower the temperature, the pinker the ground beef, which can be off-putting for some folks that need to see their burger looking somewhere between grey and black. I like the Medium to Medium Well area myself. A bit of pink still showing but mostly greyish. When it's done, I submerge it in pretty effing hot canola oil. When it is done, the outside is crispy, the interior is still nice and moist, full of juice and flavor. Good stuff, Maynard!But I understand that some folks want flame broiled, or charcoal cooked, or whatever. What burger trips your trigger?

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
qp_img.jpg
  • Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

The best burger I've had in the Philippines was at The Ranch in Banilad, Cebu. You have your choice of either a beef or ostrich burger....both are good quality meat, but I recommend the ostrich. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 5

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I hear you about Brother's burger. The Black Angus was okay, but not good enough to keep me coming back for the price. I did go back often, but for their chili cheese fries with jalapenos. I loved those, but they dropped the chili from their menu and I simply dropped them. I used to buy their chili in to go cups and use it on my hotdogs to make a coney.The Army Navy burgers are okay, but something is a bit too much. Maybe the spice or whatever that mix on the outside is? Not that I think spices can't be used on or in burgers. My last batch had a mix of steak seasoning mixed in to them. Next time I'll go a bit more simple, doing pepper, maybe a bit of garlic powder, and some salt. That will be it. What I love are juicy burgers that have flavor, not being turned into charcoal. Then good condiments and toppings are fine. Ketchup? Sure. Mustard? Yeah, the regular "Prepared Mustard" please, not the Dijon stuff. I like Dijon but not on my burgers. Sauteed onions are nice, I prefer them to raw onions. Bacon? Oh yeah, what isn't there to love about pork on beef? Or under beef? Or where ever you place it. And cheese! Cheddar is great, older or stronger. My problem is that good burgers are not thin. They are thick. And thick burgers tend to develop a dome when you cook them. So the cheese and toppings come sliding down the sides. Most commercial burgers are thin so they don't have that problem. There is a way to deal with the doming problem and still have a nice thick, juicy burger to bite into. I'm having a burger party for some friends next Sunday, so maybe I can get a few photos of my houses "standard" in terms of burgers. ;)

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Being served huge portions of anything doesn't always mean it's better for you or better tasting! The only good about huge portions, is that you have something left over to eat the next the day if nuking it in the microwave will make it taste the same and if not, in the garbage bin it goes, because even Fido may not eat it! Anyway, left overs should not be feed to your pets, but to friends or neighbors, maybe! :mocking: There's a few left over type foods that will taste just as good the next day, here's just a few in my opinion: 1). Filipino Kare-Kare2). Any Filipino abobo dish 3). Any type of pasta dish 4). Deli sandwiches What else? There's probably more...... :th_th7:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Being served huge portions of anything doesn't always mean it's better for you or better tasting! The only good about huge portions, is that you have something left over to eat the next the day if nuking it in the microwave will make it taste the same and if not, in the garbage bin it goes, because even Fido may not eat it! Anyway, left overs should not be feed to your pets, but to friends or neighbors, maybe! :mocking: There's a few left over type foods that will taste just as good the next day, here's just a few in my opinion: 1). Filipino Kare-Kare2). Any Filipino abobo dish 3). Any type of pasta dish 4). Deli sandwiches What else? There's probably more...... :th_th7:
Oh, Art! I could write a book about this.... Maybe if Tom has the time to put together another new site dedicated to.... ? :th_th7:
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just remembered that this topic came up last year so burger afficionados may want to check out this thread: What Is The Best Burger You Have Found I Phil?

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I just remembered that this topic came up last year so burger afficionados may want to check out this thread: What Is The Best Burger You Have Found I Phil?
No wonder Dave, the guy's ingredients for his burgers all come from outside of the Philippines like the U.S., Thailand and New Zealand, but all cooked in the Philippines! Nothing local about it is there, but as long it tastes great that's OK for anyone who loves a good burger! I'm more of a pizza kind of guy, I just got sidetracked when I had a juicy hamburger at ARMY NAVY and have been going there every week so far, but not just for their burgers! Their burritos, french fries and onion rings are also good, but my wife doesn't like their fried chicken! Edited by Art2ro