To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Over 3 years old this thread, so who did manage to make the escape and who is still working , be nice to know

I replied to this thread before I moved over here, and I think I replied aafter I moved?  Not sure... too lazy to check ha ha

I quit work early, at 48.  I cannot retire until 55.  But I have been here for 2 1/2 years and doing well.  Only 3 1/2 years until I get my first retirement.  I stay mostly broke, but I was mostly broke in the US, so no worries.  We are just finishing up building a small house.  Should move in the last week of August (2015 - in case this thread goes another 3 years!).  

My health was vey bad in the US but when I came over here my seizures have really slowed down.  My wife worries but she should have seen me back in the old country.  Anyway it more about quality not quantity.  I know too many gys that came over here at 70 years old and can barely walk.  I am glad I came early enough to enjoy myself!   :tiphat: 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks boys for your great stories,

Some may think i am always talking the talk and some may think he will never come here, but the more i am asking the more i feel it is my sort of place, hang about it had better be we have a house there now, paid for too

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, bows00 said:

Man, it has been a very fast 6 years since I originally posted this.  I have decided to go for it at the end of this year (2017).  My plan is to travel light, and move around from hotel to hotel for the first year, until I find a place to settle.  My travel plans start off in Makati, then venture to Tagaytay, Baguio, Angeles City, Subic, and Dumaguete.  

I cannot express my gratitude for this website, the information I have gathered here was truly invaluable.

Mahalo to all the members here.  I will continue to lean on your experience as I venture forward..

Don't worry Bows if you venture backwards too.....he, he.  It's all good!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bows00 said:

Man, it has been a very fast 6 years since I originally posted this.  I have decided to go for it at the end of this year (2017).  My plan is to travel light, and move around from hotel to hotel for the first year, until I find a place to settle.  My travel plans start off in Makati, then venture to Tagaytay, Baguio, Angeles City, Subic, and Dumaguete.  

I cannot express my gratitude for this website, the information I have gathered here was truly invaluable.

Mahalo to all the members here.  I will continue to lean on your experience as I venture forward... 

Many find hotels get rather tedious after a month or so although they do offer the freedom. Becoming more popular now are Apartelles which one can usually rent for a week or less, AB@B also worth a look. If you find a city which seems to suit it will feel  a little more like living there.

Cannot belive the hype over Dumaguete, (sorry to ex pats there) to me if I was offered a free apartment would still never live there. Now Valencia that's a different matter.....

• Like 4

russellmania
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RBM said:

Many find hotels get rather tedious after a month or so although they do offer the freedom. Becoming more popular now are Apartelles which one can usually rent for a week or less, AB@B also worth a look. If you find a city which seems to suit it will feel  a little more like living there.

Cannot belive the hype over Dumaguete, (sorry to ex pats there) to me if I was offered a free apartment would still never live there. Now Valencia that's a different matter.....

Whats the deal with Dumaguete..why you dont like it there?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, russellmania said:

Whats the deal with Dumaguete..why you dont like it there?

I can walk from the edge of the city to the boulevard downtown in just under an hour.  In bad traffic it can take half an hour to drive it.  That might put some people off who don't like walking, especially when the traffic is playing "frogger" with the pedestrians.

• Like 3