To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 3/2/2012 at 10:36 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I retired at 52 years of age. I had 'just' enough income to maintain the minimum lifestyle I expect in Philippines. I have been doing it 4 years now. I am surrounded by guys with a lot more money who are 65 plus. I would NOT trade my life for theirs. No way, no how

Having this thread pop up to the surface reminded me of what I said way back 5 years ago.  Truer words were never spoken.  I feel exactly the same 4 years later but I feel compelled to add (for accuracy) that while I gave notice of my retirement at 52 years of age I did not actually retire until my 53rd birthday as it made a large financial difference (at that point each year does).

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, russellmania said:

Whats the deal with Dumaguete..why you dont like it there?

In my opinion, Dumaguete is the most congested, dirty, crowded and has the status of the worst behaved traffic I have experienced in any city here of a similar size. I emphasize this my opinion based on extensive motorcycle traffic throughout the country. The only time I enjoy here is leaving. Even the famed boulevard  unless one walks it at full or close to full tide the stench is over powering, as for the the restos here, over priced and there is far better just south of Robinson, if one cares to play Russian roulette to get there.

Sorry dave Jack kev and others how ever this as said is my take and relates to the city only.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, RBM said:

unless one walks it at full or close to full tide

Dumaguete has its pluses and minuses and I fully understand how someone could dislike it.  If you were to walk the boulevard at high tide you would hate it more.  That is because all that stinking sewery sea water splashes over the top of the sea wall and onto the walkers at high tide (only at the VERY high tides so its not always bad.)

• Like 2

russellmania
Posted
Posted

It seems a lot of the medium size cities are getting more and more crowded, and guys are going to smaller cities or the province for less hectic lifestyle. I visited Dumageute about 8 or 9 yrs ago, and it looked like a regular city in Philippines to me,just average.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Now we are going on our first "meet the family" trip next month.  It should be very interesting to be back in the U.S. for the first time in 5 years.

Let us know what you find has changed in the 5 years you have been gone from the US. I think many would find that interesting.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Let us know what you find has changed in the 5 years you have been gone from the US. I think many would find that interesting.

Yes, I think Old55 started a thread for that.  I'm sure I will have a lot to share but we don't leave until next month.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I retired from the Air Farce when I was 36 and blew all my savings into a business I gave to my ex-wife...  Supposedly to give our kids a better life...  Took 6 months for her and her mom to drive it from $2.4 mil (on paper) to $0.00...  6 more years of child support and I was out of debt...  42...  If only I had thought of coming here at 42 years of age...  Ok... I waited until I was 56...  Almost 57...  So much I lost in between...  But maybe for the best..?  Stay tuned for future updates...  Lol!

• Like 3