To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

i am bob
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

saving.jpg :whistling:

Me too..!  My pension cheques..!  Direct deposited...!

:mocking:

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Turned 60 on the 12th, retirement hahaha, somehow I will make it work

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Scratching Head.jpg  Maybe it is me but I am confused, at what is meant here, Most of us that Retire at 56 and with no pension for a few years, would have to Rough it anyway (Unless you had a Big nest egg and then would not need to worry about retiring early with No pension)

Just asking :whistling:

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Scratching Head.jpg  Maybe it is me but I am confused, at what is meant here, Most of us that Retire at 56 and with no pension for a few years, would have to Rough it anyway (Unless you had a Big nest egg and then would not need to worry about retiring early with No pension)

Just asking :whistling:

Working for the US government grants you a pension when you meet two criteria: (1) 30 years of service, and (2) Age 56.  The pension grows by 1% of base pay per year of service.  For most, 62 years is the magic number when you receive 1.1% per year of service. 

I have calculated, and recalculated my spending needs and have concluded I will have enough money to live indefinitely.  However, retirement is still a difficult jump when leaving something you have been doing all your life.  It helps when you focus on what your running to - a chance to start a new life in the Philippines...  

• Like 5

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 4/12/2017 at 9:16 PM, OnMyWay said:

I'm very happy I pulled the trigger at 56, and my savings have held up reasonably well.  The saving took a hit to buy my long term lease here in the freeport, but it looks like that will be a good investment.  I'll start SS at 62 in about 18 months, and it should be smooth sailing after that, as long as my health is good. 

Yeah, I'm 59 now and have been torn over whether or not to retire now, or soon.  Truth is, I have a great job and I'm not really looking at retirement as an escape, I see it more as the next chapter in my life.  My wife and I are thinking about keeping a small house in the US and have the main house in the Philippines, sort of keep one foot in each world.  I talk about retiring now, but in reality I'm locked into child support until I'm 62, so I might as well just sit it out to that Social Security milestone.

• Like 4

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bows00 said:

I have calculated, and recalculated my spending needs and have concluded I will have enough money to live indefinitely.  However, retirement is still a difficult jump when leaving something you have been doing all your life.  It helps when you focus on what your running to - a chance to start a new life in the Philippines...  

Bows00, your member label says you live in Hawaii!  That is THE MOST expensive state to live in in the USA!!!  I suspect you'll do OK in the Philippines!   :SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Maxheadspace said:

Bows00, your member label says you live in Hawaii!  That is THE MOST expensive state to live in in the USA!!!  I suspect you'll do OK in the Philippines!   :SugarwareZ-005:

That is not all true.  Once you acquire real estate, I mean your own home, the cost of living in Hawaii is not too bad.  Property tax is still reasonable here compared to the east coast.  But that is not an easy task.  Most Hawaii residents spent at least %50 percent of their take home pay on their mortgage or rent - and that is a conservative estimate.  Once my mortgage was paid off, life became really easy for me, even as a single bachelor.

• Like 2