To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2017 at 9:48 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's very interesting.  I don't follow it, I have a broker who does all that and all I see are the statements at the end of the year.  His statements don't coincide with the one you just made.  Shame about that.

For the vast majority of regular savers actively managed funds are a terrible choice. Buy a very cheap index fund (which essentially buys all the stocks of a particular index) and keep them for a very long time. This outperforms the majority of expensive, actively managed funds. The very reason why Warren Buffet doesn't like hedge fund managers much. 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, afathertobe said:

For the vast majority of regular savers actively managed funds are a terrible choice. Buy a very cheap index fund (which essentially buys all the stocks of a particular index) and keep them for a very long time.

Totally agree.  Index is the way to go.  A far majority of fund managers can't beat the returns you get from the standard S&P 500 index.  Better when you do your taxes too. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bows00 said:

Index is the way to go.

Pick 10 from the index, buy them yourself online, and you will double the return of the index.

• 3 weeks later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

RETIRE NOW!  Damn do you really want to wait another SIX damn years?! I'm like You sort of and with Fed 1811law enforcement time and USMC time way back have 35 yrs. stayed on xtra 2 yrs just to do Okinawa again with Asawa (2yr committed) And Kick Myself in the ass every day!  WTH was I thinking?!  Working my ass off for added2% when I Could be banking half pension in the PI Already!  It's why we are Done this Aug/Sept a few months early.  Go Live AND Enjoy your life while ya can!  Go go go!

• Like 5

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Lol.  Did not realize this thread started2012!...and it's still getting replies. Hopefully You are in PI "long time" now and all that work crap is a distant nightmare.  Livin' the Dream and gettin' lots of "hits" yourself. 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

IIf he is not at least he has been able to tap his IRA for the last couple of years.

bows00
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2017 at 9:56 PM, Nickleback99 said:

Lol.  Did not realize this thread started2012!...and it's still getting replies. Hopefully You are in PI "long time" now and all that work crap is a distant nightmare.  Livin' the Dream and gettin' lots of "hits" yourself. 

yeah, I revisited this thread to confirm my decision to retire at the end of this year.  Funny how time flies, even when your NOT having fun (at work).

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 4/12/2017 at 0:40 PM, bows00 said:

Man, it has been a very fast 6 years since I originally posted this.  I have decided to go for it at the end of this year (2017).  My plan is to travel light, and move around from hotel to hotel for the first year, until I find a place to settle.  My travel plans start off in Makati, then venture to Tagaytay, Baguio, Angeles City, Subic, and Dumaguete.  

I cannot express my gratitude for this website, the information I have gathered here was truly invaluable.

Mahalo to all the members here.  I will continue to lean on your experience as I venture forward... 

Good luck with your new adventure when you start, I am sure you will enjoy the journey.  Don't forget about Airbnb, can often be cheaper and get more space for your money.  When in Baigio, maybe we can hook up for a few beers, I will be down in Bauang, 1.5hrs down the road, but you will probably want to check out that area also, nice spot it seems from my experience so far.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

You don`t know when your time to pop off will come.

I was talking to my gf about this.  I said I am 62 and I may die tomorrow or I may live to be 100.

Because I do not know, I have two choices.  First, don't plan any long term things such as having kids or moving to another country as I may die tomorrow.  Second; Plan to live to 100 so I can see more grandkids before I pop off.

With the first choice there's not much point to getting out of bed in the morning.  If I knew for sure I would live healthy for 38 more years what would I do.  And then I decide to get up early and have fun, (which in my case means coming here to annoy my fellow forum members :SugarwareZ-005:.) 

• Like 4