To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

You don`t know when your time to pop off will come.

Sure I do, last time I poped of was about 4am this morn...... oh wait, you are talking about something else.... :whistling::mocking::hystery:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:nudie:

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 6/1/2017 at 9:45 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was talking to my gf about this.  I said I am 62 and I may die tomorrow or I may live to be 100.

Because I do not know, I have two choices.  First, don't plan any long term things such as having kids or moving to another country as I may die tomorrow.  Second; Plan to live to 100 so I can see more grandkids before I pop off.

With the first choice there's not much point to getting out of bed in the morning.  If I knew for sure I would live healthy for 38 more years what would I do.  And then I decide to get up early and have fun, (which in my case means coming here to annoy my fellow forum members :SugarwareZ-005:.) 

This is a great point because those early 60s are an odd time; you know in theory that you could die soon and yet as you say you could also live to 90 or 100. A guy in his 50s may still think he will live for a long time; a 75 year old knows that time is short; but a 62 year old (or 64 in my case) - well unless he is in very poor health, doesn't know. 

Personally I am definitely planning for a lengthy future, though not to 100. But you never know. If lucky I could be living in the Philippines for a long time.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2017 at 0:54 PM, AlwaysRt said:

Sure I do, last time I poped of was about 4am this morn...... oh wait, you are talking about something else.... :whistling::mocking::hystery:

You live too high in the mountains You`re getting confused mate.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2017 at 11:45 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was talking to my gf about this.  I said I am 62 and I may die tomorrow or I may live to be 100.

Because I do not know, I have two choices.  First, don't plan any long term things such as having kids or moving to another country as I may die tomorrow.  Second; Plan to live to 100 so I can see more grandkids before I pop off.

With the first choice there's not much point to getting out of bed in the morning.  If I knew for sure I would live healthy for 38 more years what would I do.  And then I decide to get up early and have fun, (which in my case means coming here to annoy my fellow forum members :SugarwareZ-005:.) 

Having kids at 62, you must have a big sense of humour Dave.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Having kids at 62, you must have a big sense of humour Dave.

When you come to live here you will see that I ain't the first to think that way and I certainly won't be the last and there are a lot of guys who actually father children at that age.  You can tell after a couple of years that they look like daddy but you do have to wait a while to be sure they don't look like Uncle Aussie :Caught:

Is it a wise choice? I can only say that it is an individual choice and it is actually a life insurance plan for some folks.  How so?  Many older American men have had children and then died before the child reaches 18.  The mum continues to get paid by the US government until the kid(s) reach 18.  By Philippine standards its good money.  Now with a Canadian, if I had a kid with a girl and got her Canadian immigrant status, she would actually have to go back to Canada but she would be taken care of by the social welfare system there.  

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When you come to live here you will see that I ain't the first to think that way and I certainly won't be the last and there are a lot of guys who actually father children at that age.  You can tell after a couple of years that they look like daddy but you do have to wait a while to be sure they don't look like Uncle Aussie :Caught:

Is it a wise choice? I can only say that it is an individual choice and it is actually a life insurance plan for some folks.  How so?  Many older American men have had children and then died before the child reaches 18.  The mum continues to get paid by the US government until the kid(s) reach 18.  By Philippine standards its good money.  Now with a Canadian, if I had a kid with a girl and got her Canadian immigrant status, she would actually have to go back to Canada but she would be taken care of by the social welfare system there.  

You certainly are not the only one, a friend of mine (62) and his Filipina wife (21) had a baby just last month. How is that for a timely example?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Is it a wise choice? I can only say that it is an individual choice and it is actually a life insurance plan for some folks.  

I very Good friend if mine here in Dumaguete is 74 and he was 70 when his boy came along, My Friends wife can't get the SS thing but the Boy Does and the Mother collects on his behalf so yes Insurance indeed

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:15 AM, bows00 said:

Funny how time flies, even when your NOT having fun (at work).

DITTO!