To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, mogo51 said:

then venture to Tagaytay, Baguio, Angeles City, Subic, and Dumaguete

Bows00, your target list sounds nearly same as ours, less Angeles.   Best of luck and hope to meet you someday for a beer as well along the path of life.  

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, davewe said:

This is a great point because those early 60s are an odd time; you know in theory that you could die soon and yet as you say you could also live to 90 or 100. A guy in his 50s may still think he will live for a long time; a 75 year old knows that time is short; but a 62 year old (or 64 in my case) - well unless he is in very poor health, doesn't know. 

I always figure Genetics can give ya a good yardstick, provided one generally takes care of themselves otherwise.  Since I have the "C" gene from Dad's side (died 79), although All were smoking related and I don't smoke, And the heart disease gene my mom's side (died 84)...harder to predict, but my healthy lifestyle largely different than theirs.  Can't account for chemical exposure in Iraq and A'stan, but figure I should make it to a Good 80.  Beyond that?...who knows?  Then again, as you said, could end "tomorrow"....SO, time to go enjoy Life and travel while I can, etc.  Can't Wait!! 

robert k
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

OMG!!!! ain't that the dang truth. every other day my wife lets me know so and so said why don't we have a baby yet??? so and so said why don't you buy a house yet???

answer #1 - I guess we haven't practiced long enough to figure out the recipe

answer #2 - (many  for this one) as a foreigner it is better to rent right now in case I have to go. what if we go to the States and you want to stay (no reason to have a house here). what if we go to the States and when we come back you want to live somewhere else (have a career, friends or just like somewhere else). and my favorite, no problem are they paying for it?

Why you don't have a baby yet? I would tell them that is the wife is in charge of that.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I very Good friend if mine here in Dumaguete is 74 and he was 70 when his boy came along, My Friends wife can't get the SS thing but the Boy Does and the Mother collects on his behalf so yes Insurance indeed

Your friend's wife will get the SS thing when her husband dies. I believe that Gina, the late Chris's wife, was to get 3 cheques from the USA, one for each kid and a survivor's pension for herself. (I guess that if from the USA, they will be checks, not cheques) I imagine that she had a line up of suitors at the door.

As well, I believe that the widow of an American gets the green card if she wishes.

Edited by jpbago
Green card.
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jpbago said:

Your friend's wife will get the SS thing when her husband dies. I believe that Gina, the late Chris's wife, was to get 3 cheques from the USA, one for each kid and a survivor's pension for herself. (I guess that if from the USA, they will be checks, not cheques) I imagine that she had a line up of suitors at the door.

As well, I believe that the widow of an American gets the green card if she wishes.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302610025 Actually I believe there is a 5 years US residence requirement for a Philippine spouse to receive Social Security benefits. Same would apply I believe to adopted children who are not US citizens.

Things were more lax before January 1st 1985.

The alien spouse and hopefully/presumably dependents can get a green card for the US.

Natural children of a US citizen who are US citizens by birth do not need to have been resident in the US for 5 years. Whether this applies to a "non-citizen" "Number Holder" one had better ask a lawyer.

That's my take on it. Not at a point where it's a huge consideration for me, yet.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

OMG!!!! ain't that the dang truth. every other day my wife lets me know so and so said why don't we have a baby yet??? so and so said why don't you buy a house yet???

answer #1 - I guess we haven't practiced long enough to figure out the recipe

answer #2 - (many  for this one) as a foreigner it is better to rent right now in case I have to go. what if we go to the States and you want to stay (no reason to have a house here). what if we go to the States and when we come back you want to live somewhere else (have a career, friends or just like somewhere else). and my favorite, no problem are they paying for it?

My wife used to listen to her friends all giving similar advice(plus some other BS) as what you have stated.Then she started to realise that they don`t actually know what they are talking about.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

My wife used to listen to her friends all giving similar advice(plus some other BS) as what you have stated.Then she started to realise that they don`t actually know what they are talking about.

PLEASE!!!!!!! What is the secret to get her to REALISE that?!?!?!?!?! :56da64adacf47_23_11_591:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I asked on this forum many years ago on how to get her a Phills passport.She would not follow the advice and chose her friends path-the result was no PP.I asked her if her friend had a pp (no) so then how does she know how to get one.I said don`t listen to your friends unless they have knowledge of the subject.

Another time I had booked the hotel in Dumaguete and we were going to visit from Dalaguete to see the fireworks and festival.She would not come so I went alone.When I got back to Dalaguete I asked are you ok no I am angry she said.Why I asked, because I didn`t come,I said you didn`t want to.Well why didn`t you come.My friend told me there might be a typhoon mm friend again.I said if there is any danger going on the ferry then the coastguard wont let it cross.I told her not to listen to her jealous friend and it has worked.

There have been more occasions but these are the 2 I remember in detail.Well there is another 1 but it is a little rude.

ahhhhh, so what I am hearing is "No Pain, No Gain", and I am still in the 'Pain' phase :hystery: