To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

stevewool
Posted
Posted

what a great thread, if i could i would do it tomorrow, but its the cash, so i intend to do this at 60, that should give me enough time to save enough to last me all the time i am there, its knowing when enough is enough, i dont want to ever come back to england to work, yes to visit the family but nothing else, lots say you have to keep ties to the mother land just in case you get ill, well let me tell you its england that is making me ill, stress, work, the weather, everyones dumping ground for europe, the list goes on,the problem i have is a pension, being married before the ex had half of what was mine, but hey ho life goes on, my O A P i cant get till i am 66 so i have to fund myself with what i may have , so rental from my home in england a ennuity which can be cash in at 55 or 60 and savings, the trouble with most of us its taking that first step, is it right , what have i done, bloody hell,but like someone says has anyone ever thought this is wrong,

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I love some of the threads on here!

I think what it all comes down to is this - what is the lifestyle that you want to live and how much will it cost you to live it? What is the best you could do if you stay home and work until later in life? Is that what you can do now in the Philippines? And when I say "in the Philippines", I am referring to what ever city or area you desire to live. We all know Cebu is cheaper than Manila,,, Davao is cheaper than Cebu... Bohol is cheaper than... But is this where you want to live? And is this how you want to live? That is the hard part - figuring out if you have the pesos to beat the alternative the way you want to.

As for my retirement age? Sorry guys and gals but I quit work at 35 and finalized the retirement paperwork when I was 36. Not that I stopped working then but.... To be honest, I kind of wished I had stayed to the end and retired at 39 - my pension would be a heck of a lot higher than it is now! Though I probably would have been dead by then... :mocking:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

".measly $4800/month ??! In other topics we are talking about 800 - 1000 USD/month... "

Cebu is not cheap! I was given a quote for $430,000US ($17.6 million P) for a relatively small 2 bdrm Ayala condo. That is equivalent to Hawaii prices. And I also noticed how expensive the medicine in there - how can the local people afford it?

I think you got hit with the "Kano" price maybe? Ouch!

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Well young grasshopper when you can snatch the coin out of my hand you will be ready. Lets hope at age 62 you can still see my hand

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

".measly $4800/month ??! In other topics we are talking about 800 - 1000 USD/month... "

Cebu is not cheap! I was given a quote for $430,000US ($17.6 million P) for a relatively small 2 bdrm Ayala condo. That is equivalent to Hawaii prices. And I also noticed how expensive the medicine in there - how can the local people afford it?

But I wouldn't buy a $430,000 condo in the States either. Depends on your budget. But I'm looking at a $4,000, 2 room cement shack in the province... I'm gonna need some aircon! ha ha
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted
Davao is cheaper than Cebu...

Not in my experience!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I totally agree but when I have said similar things I am referred to the thread on how to live on $800 a month, :cheersty:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I was given a quote for $430,000US ($17.6 million P) for a relatively small 2 bdrm Ayala condo.

Did you happen to mention your measly monthly pension to the agent?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Davao is cheaper than Cebu...

Not in my experience!

That is what I thought too but my Filipino friends from Davao tell me it is... Maybe it's just a face thing... ?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I totally agree but when I have said similar things I am referred to the thread on how to live on $800 a month, :cheersty:

To be honest, I really am not looking forward to Cebu prices either. Unfortunately my Special Someone has at least one more year depending on her Master's or Doctorate being the final phase. And then we can head off to somewhere less expensive!