To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

bows00
Posted
Posted

During retirement, having investments totally out of the stock market is not a wise thing.  I have learned to diversify across all asset classes as follows:

50% Stocks (US and International)

30% Bonds (Short Term US and Corporate)

10% Commodities

10% Cash

And rebalance as required to maintain the above distribution.  And pull monies out of Cash pile as needed. 

I really don't get fancy, just buy cheap Index Funds across all sectors.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What I have is enough for the retirement lifestyle I am now living, which is the one I have always wanted. With, of course, the emergency lump sum tucked away.

This is what many of us work for, just to live the way we would like too,

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Again each to there own , but i would rather be watching the fine young ladies on the beach OK OK WHEN THE WIFE IS LOOKING IN THE OTHER DIRECTION, :bash:  then watch the stocks and shares,

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush springs to mind, and  those loving ladies too, plus the wife :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

Over 3 years old this thread, so who did manage to make the escape and who is still working , be nice to know

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

I am 55 and still working for the man. We keep saving and paying down our debt. We've got a decent amount saved. Enough now to pay off our house and car here in the states, build a house on our property in the Philippines, buy some wheels and a banca and still have a decent nest egg left over. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance and a retirement pension which should be enough to live well until my social security kicks in at 62. My wife's will come 6 years later as I'm older than her. By the time it all kicks in we'll be making in retirement almost what we do today working.

What are we waiting on? Our youngest son just turned 18 and isn't quite ready for life as an adult, and a daughter getting married next year. Oh well, at least I can see it all coming together now and within 3 years we should be living in the states during the summer and in the Philippines in the winter. I will not be working past 2018 but man it's hard to wait. We're really looking forward to retirement and traveling again outside the country.

I really appreciate this forum because at least I can learn from those of you there and live vicariously through your posts.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I'm still on schedule for retirement this August 31.  One week before my 55th birthday!   :nudie: Then April we are westward bound.

Been busy since the first of this year sorting, giving and selling.  Oh, and packing of course.  We have been planning this for about eight years now and following the plan has really paid off.  Not near as much stress as some of our friends who alreadyh made the move.  Right now still getting rid of more of that stuff that has gathered over the last 20-30+ years.  Starting to watch flight prices, and been slowly filling boxes.  We plan a shopping spree in November and ship boxes end of Jan or Feb.  Now that work is comming to an end I feel a little more breathing room and although I don't want to wish my life away, can hardly wait for April.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Starting to watch flight prices, and been slowly filling boxes.

Congratulations, check China Pacific form Newark we got round trips for $885 from Fort Myers to Cebu Oct. and Nov

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Starting to watch flight prices, and been slowly filling boxes.

Congratulations, check China Pacific form Newark we got round trips for $885 from Fort Myers to Cebu Oct. and Nov

Thanks.  We'll pass on the China airlines.  Bad experience at Beijing Airport and my wife really did not like the China Air flight overall. 

So to keep her happy I agreed no more China flights.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

I came here in September 2011 at the age of 50. I was on a wing and a prayer,I have eaten the wing so now I just pray. Joking My first pension can be accessed in December this year and my house in the Uk will be Mortgage free about March next year so my plan has worked and I can stay here. With the extra money I get for the rental in the UK our living standard will go up although I have  no complaints at the moment.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 4