16 Month Ending Soon. Visa/ticket Questions

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

My 16 months stay with all the extensions is ending in July. My girlfriend and I want to go to Hong Kong for a week then return to our place here in Cebu. I have a valid ACR-I card that has to be renewed at the end of April. My girlfriend was able to get her passport at the Metro Mall (Pacific Mall) here in Cebu with only 1 visit and 3 weeks waiting.These are my questions:1. I am planning on getting a round trip ticket from Cebu to Hong Kong with a one way ticket from Clark to whatever is cheapest as my way out ticket. Is that possible?2. Do I have to turn in my ACR-I card when I leave to go to Hong Kong and then purchase another one after I return?3. I was told at the BI office a couple of weeks ago that I had to go in there in June and apply for my re-entry visa. Can I use my round trip ticket from Cebu to Hong Kong and a One way ticket from Clark to anywhere cheap for the visa?I am sure this is covered in here somewhere I just couldn't find it. Thanks.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Basically you start the process all over again just as if it was the first time you arrived in the Philippines. If they do not ask for your Icard when you leave for Hong Kong then keep it but they still might make you get a new one after you return and start the process all over again. Since you have been in Philippines you will have to pay the departure fee. You will need a new onward or throw away ticket.Your Icard should serve as your clearance but I am not really sure on that.

• Like 1

andre007
Posted
Posted (edited)
My 16 months stay with all the extensions is ending in July. My girlfriend and I want to go to Hong Kong for a week then return to our place here in Cebu. I have a valid ACR-I card that has to be renewed at the end of April. My girlfriend was able to get her passport at the Metro Mall (Pacific Mall) here in Cebu with only 1 visit and 3 weeks waiting.These are my questions:1. I am planning on getting a round trip ticket from Cebu to Hong Kong with a one way ticket from Clark to whatever is cheapest as my way out ticket. Is that possible?YES2. Do I have to turn in my ACR-I card when I leave to go to Hong Kong and then purchase another one after I return?NO & you will be required to purchase another one after your new 60 days are up3. I was told at the BI office a couple of weeks ago that I had to go in there in June and apply for my re-entry visa. Can I use my round trip ticket from Cebu to Hong Kong and a One way ticket from Clark to anywhere cheap for the visa? See instructions below I am sure this is covered in here somewhere I just couldn't find it. Thanks.
If you've been in the Philippines for more than 6 months, you have to apply (in person) for an Exit Clearance Certificate(ECC) from the Bureau of Immigration before leaving the country.You'll need to take with you:
  • Three 2" x 2" color photographs, recently taken.
  • Your Passport
Here's how it works:
  • Go to the Reception Desk and tell the Immigration Officer sitting there that you need an Exit Clearance Certificate. She will ask to see your Passport and air ticket She will check to see if you have applied for all Extensions necessary for your stay. She will hand you a form to complete.

• You complete the form and return it to the same Receptionist and hand her your three photos. She will affix the photos to the form.
  • You go to the "Cashier 3" window and hand in the form and your Passport. These will be checked and stamps are placed on the form; your Passport and form are handed back to you.

• You now go to "Cashier 1" and again hand over your Passport and Form. pay an "Express Lane" fee of PHP500. However if you request the ECC while doing your regular extension there is no additional EXPRESS FEE..
  • You now sit and wait a few minutes before your name will be called to be finger-printed. This takes place next to the "Cashier 1" window.

• After a few more minutes you'll be called and your Passport and ECC handed to you. That certificate you hand to the Immigration Officer just before boarding your international flight.

Edited by andre007
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2. Do I have to turn in my ACR-I card when I leave to go to Hong Kong and then purchase another one after I return?NO & you will be required to purchase another one after your new 60 days are up
However if you request the ECC while doing your regular extension there is no additional EXPRESS FEE..
I agree with everything said in this whole thread except these two points.When I did exactly what you are suggesting. (And I mean EXACTLY.) No one needed to see my torist ACR card when I left the Philippines. When I got back from Hong Kong my ACR card was still valid until the expiry date stated on the card. In addition, I managed to get by with an expired card for the next 3 or 4 renewals until I did the same Hong Kong trip again a year later. (Your mileage may vary.)When I do my regular visa extension it is good for 2 months. When I got my ECC it was good for one month. Thus I was not able to get it without a separate visit and a separate 500 peso fee. (Again your mileage may vary. This is Philippines.)
  • Like 1

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

My ACR-I card expires near the end of April. I have to renew the card at that time. I also need to change my address on it. Are you saying that I have to pay to renew it and then replace it after I have been back here in cebu for 59 days?Also I would like to know about the throw away ticket. I return on July 7th from Hong Kong. what date should I have for the throw away ticket? I plan on staying for another 16 months.Also I was wondering about the entry visa. I got my original 38 day visa extension before I left Texas. I thought that the woman at the desk there at the BI office was saying that I needed to go back in June to apply for another one so I would not have to do so right after returning from Hong Kong. Is that right?Thanks

andre007
Posted
Posted (edited)
My ACR-I card expires near the end of April. I have to renew the card at that time. I also need to change my address on it. Are you saying that I have to pay to renew it and then replace it after I have been back here in cebu for 59 days?
In my experience and in the case of Dave Houndriver you will not have to renew the ACR-I Card before you leave for Hong Kong. Yes you will have to start the process over again when you return and on your 2 month extension you normally will have to renew your ACR-I card
Also I would like to know about the throw away ticket. I return on July 7th from Hong Kong. what date should I have for the throw away ticket? I plan on staying for another 16 months.
Actually that is a good question and one I have never found a conclusive answer on. I can only say I have had "THROW AWAY" tickets from 2 days until 2 months after. I normally try to purchase the ticket to be within the 21 days upon return but honestly I really do not think that is needed.
Also I was wondering about the entry visa. I got my original 38 day visa extension before I left Texas. I thought that the woman at the desk there at the BI office was saying that I needed to go back in June to apply for another one so I would not have to do so right after returning from Hong Kong. Is that right?
When you return you will start the normal process over again which means you will automatically get a 21 day visa stamp when you arrive at back her in the Philippines. You will have to extend within the time frame for an additional 38 days. Then afterwards you will have to extend for 2 months. Edited by andre007
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

:th_thbestpost:andre007's post is clear and precise. I think he is looking for a job with Expat Services in their visa renewal department :thumbsup: Its all good.Like he said, I try to purchase the 'throw away' ticket for a date within the 21 days, just to avoid hassle if you get a grumpy official when reentering Phils. Other times I have had my departure ticket for 6 months away with no problem. I do not know what the maximum is. Perhaps you could buy your exit ticket to coincide with your next 16 month departure and then you will save a bit. That assumes that the airline will even sell a ticket that far in advance. A year in advance might work though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Update: June 10 2012.

I bought our plane tickets to Singapore,in May,thru Cebu Pacific so I can do the visa run thing now that my 16 month is almost completed on July 1 2012. I purchased Promo fare tickets. I also purchased the throw away ticket for me as well.That one is a full fare ticket.

When I went to the BI office in Cebu in April to pay for the final 2 months I asked a lot of questions about the exit/re-entry clearance and the 38 day visa extension after the initial 21 day stay. The person I spoke with there was very helpful. It was not the normal woman I have seen sitting at the desk where I get the visa request form. This time is was a rather heavy set man. He spoke very good english. From what he told me this is what I do now.

1. Go back to BI office within 30 days of leaving the Philippines with flight Itinerary

2. 2 2x2 photos which can be taken next to the BI office for 100 pesos.

3. all receipts for previous visa extensions ( just in case )

4..500 pesos.

5. Go to desk and ask for exit clearance form.

6. Fill out form.

7. Take filled out form, flight itinerary, passport, 2 2x2 pictures to desk.

8. Take approved form plus 500 pesos to cashier.

Subject to any changes, delays, or opinions by the person who is sitting at the desk on my next visit.

As to the 38 day visa extension after I return from Singapore.

Go to BI office before expiration of 21 day initial stay.

Get form from desk for 38 day visa extension.

Take filled out form and Passport and throw away ticket to window.

go thru same thing as before with other extension.

Payments have increased since last year.

I don't mind going to the BI office every 2 months to renew. Its been interesting meeting other foreigners there. I did read on the window where it said that the visa costs are increased. Don't remember exactly how much. I think the 1st 2 month extension after the 59 day and the following extension for 2 months after that prior to staying a full 6 months are around 4800 each.

All subject to change, delays, or the opinion of the people there.

Now the problem.

1. We have not gotten my girlfriends birth certificate so no passport. ( see other post in Getting Married ) so she and our friend can not go to Singapore this time.

The good news.

I paid for 3 tickets to Singapore.

There is no refund nor anything else on Promo tickets. However I got lucky. Cebu Pacific cancelled the return flight and asked to move us to another return flight a day later.

This was helpful. Due to the cancellation being their fault I was able to cancel their flights altogether and keep mine.

The bad news is if I want a refund of my money it takes 45 to 60 business days. That does not include weekends.

The other option was to place the money in a travel fund.

That was good.

Unfortunately its not in my name and I can not use it.

Since that part of the ticket was in my girlfriend and our friends name. They are the only ones who can use the travel fund.

The good news on that is they can buy me a plane ticket with the travel fund, as long as 1 of them is going with me.

We will use that for our trip back to Tacloban again. We will not bring Shampoo with us this time. *see post in Getting Married)

I booked the hotel rooms using booking.com.

It was very easy to cancel them.

I plan on going this week to get the exit clearance. I will post more after that.

Thanks for all your advice.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I just got the ECC last week, I think you need 3 - 2x2 pics. Everything else looks ok. Good luck.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

I am doing the Visa run to Honkie Town. 5J (Cebu Pacific) cheapie promo. Round trip was 5K with 20 Kilo and 30 kilo luggage. My wife is coming with me and she will help me with the BB (Balikbayan upon re-entery) .

Throwaway ticket - needed only for reentry into the country. I will buy mine at the HKG airport from Cathay Pacific - Why because its refundable - $25 cancellation fee.

Just curios how much your throw away promo ticket actually cost. The HOng Kong 5J promo would Have cost me about 2500P.

• Like 1