Senior Citizen Benefits In Philippines

Terpe
Posted
Posted

I've been reading with interest a number of recent media reports on this topic.

It really seems to be gathering a head of steam.

In short, a change in the eligibility of the Senior Citizen Discount Card Scheme will (or lets say might) finally come to fruition.

Useful links are:-

It’s more fun in the Philippines for elderly foreign travellers

Foreigners to get same perks as local seniors

DoT entices foreign senior travellers with discounts, visa-free stays

Could be some good news on it's way later this year. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

In short, a change in the eligibility of the Senior Citizen Discount Card Scheme will (or lets say might) finally come to fruition.

Hello Terpe,

Appreciate your concern and your links to the news media regarding your OP. Welcome aboard sir!

Respectfully -- Jake

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wow! I retired and have been living on my pension since I was 36 years old! Now that I"m 54, do you think I would qualify?

Please please don't answer that!!! Let me dream!!!

:mocking:

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting ..... but I see a lot of mention of FilAms and not ALL foreigners ......

"Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, who is expected to make a state visit to the UN sometime in May is expected to lobby for approval of the Medicare portability measure.

In essence the plan would allow retired FilAms to take their Medicare benefits to the Philippines and generate savings for both the retirees and Medicare."

Does this mean that ONLY FilAms will be eligible for Medicare ..... and could that mean that the cost for ALL foreigners will go up due to the hospitals having a greater say as to medical costs ..... possibly a 2 or 3 tier program ..... I know the Docs charge a foreigner a bunch more now but the actual hospital costs are relatively the same .... but once everyone gets used to charging the kano with medicare more that if he was with out it the race will be on ..... and once it starts there is no turning back .....

I can see it becoming for the foreigner just like in the US ..... bill went from 50,000p to $20,000 dollars .... medicare pays 60% .... you end up paying $4000 out of your own pocket .... for an operation which would have only cost you $1162 with out PhilHealth ..... and just remember there ain't no give-a-way programs here or subsidies here .... plus you don't for a second gonna think Uncle Sam is gonna start paying out money for treatment WITHOUT inspecting these facilities and putting his $.02 into the operations and care of these facilities ..... that just doesn't happen ..... the hospitals will have to be accredited to receive governmental funding ...... OH BOY ... some of you shout now we will get hospitals and care just like in the US ...... OH BOY ... I say and price increases too ..... THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH ...... so for you in the $10,000 a month income bracket ..... YIPEEEEEE ..... for the rest of us ...... AWWWWW SH*T ....... IMHO

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Terpe
Posted
Posted

Sorry I can't make any meaningful input concerning how Medicare is involved. That's just one part of the whole concept and I have no knowledge of that at all.

Any discount scheme is always going to be open to practices of increase charges by an equivalent amount. But nevertheless a 20% discount is not to be sniffed at especially where prices are set. Such as hotels, domestic flights and restaurants etc.

May not help everyone, but looks like it could be helpful to me :cheersty:

Terpe
Posted
Posted

Further research about this reveals that the current benefits for Senior Citizens at age 60 years and above comes under Republic Act 9994 27th July 2009

These benefits are now anticipated to be also made available to foreign Senior Citizens

The following shows the major entitlements.

A full 20% discount (and exemption from the VAT) on the sale of the following goods and services from all establishments:-

- on the purchase of medicines

- on the professional fees of attending physician(s) in all private hospitals, medical facilities, outpatient clinics and home health care services.

- on the professional fees of licensed professional health workers providing home health care services as endorsed by private hospitals or employed through home health care employment

- on medical and dental services, diagnostic and laboratory fees in all prIvate hospitals, medical facilities, outpatient clinics, and home health care services.

- in actual fare for land transportation travel in public utility buses (PUBs), public utility jeepneys (PUJs), taxis, Asian utility vehicles (AUVs),shuttle services and public railways, including Light Rail Transit (LRT), Mass Rail Transit (MRT) , and Philippine National Railways (PNR);

- in actual transportation fare for domestic air transport services and sea shipping vessels and the like, based on the actual fare and advanced booking

- on the utilization of services in hotels and similar lodging establishments, restaurants and recreation centers

- on admission fees charged by theaters,cinema houses and concert halls, circuses, carnivals,and other similar places of culture, leisure and amusement

- on funeral and burial services for the death of senior citizens

- exemption from the payment of individual income taxes of senior citizens who are considered to be minimum wage earners in accordance with Republic Act No. 9504

- the grant of a minimum of 5% discount relative to the monthly utilization of water and electricity supplied by ublic utilities

- free medical and dental serVIces, diagnostic and laboratory fees such as, but not limited to, x-rays, computerized tomography scans and blood tests, in all government facilities.

- provision of express lanes for senior citizens in all commercial and government establishments

Sorry if this has been previous posted. I did do a quick search beforehand.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Sorry I can't make any meaningful input concerning how Medicare is involved. That's just one part of the whole concept and I have no knowledge of that at all.

Medicare stops at the border. There is a Philippine lobby group that is asking the US president and congress to amend the law making Medicare portable similar to Tri-Care. While I support their effort, there are serious doubts it will pass. The American healthcare industry is the opposition. They have more money and lobbyists that the Filipinos (one guy). Of course, it's an election year so you never know.

• Like 1

Terpe
Posted
Posted

Hello Terpe,

Appreciate your concern and your links to the news media regarding your OP. Welcome aboard sir!

Respectfully -- Jake

It's good to aboard Jake, and thanks for the welcome

Terpe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow! I retired and have been living on my pension since I was 36 years old! Now that I"m 54, do you think I would qualify?

Please please don't answer that!!! Let me dream!!!

:mocking:

Hi Bob, wish I could have found such a pension :dance:

In fact I even wish I could be 54 again

Nice to meet you.

Edited by Terpe

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Here is something I copied from another website but not sure Tom wants a link to it ..... so I just copied it here .... this pertains to CURRENT laws but for those that might want to read this here it is ..... it is interesting to note that at the end of the article it WE CAN use the express lanes in supermarkets and other places .... but don't attempt to get the discount ..... has anyone tried this .... the senior citizen lane is always much shorter than the regular lanes ..... and as they have to look up all the prices in a book for the discount I see no problem there ..... just don't ask for the discount .....

The Senior citizen card in the Philippines is not meant for senior citizens of foreign countries in the Philippines even when some Filipino government officials don’t understand their own laws regarding it. Unfortunately, many expats don’t care to read or, maybe, are just incapable of understanding the restrictions in the law for some curious and selfish reasons.

As Expats in the Philippines, we are visitors whether we are tourist or permanent residence or under SSRV: we have no right by taking away the benefits that belong to the Filipino Citizens.

To clarify, Section 2 of Republic Act 9257 (Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2003) defines that:

• Senior citizen or elderly shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;

The above is very clear and the operative word is citizen. A foreigner may be a permanent resident but not necessarily a Philippine citizen. A non-Philippine citizen, therefore, cannot legally acquire a Philippine senior citizen card.

Business establishments are well within their rights to respectfully ask for proof of Filipino citizenship.

Rule III, Article 5, Section 5.5 of RA 9257 Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) states that:

5.5 IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENT refers to any document or proof of being a senior citizen which shall be used for the availment of benefits and privileges under the law, such as the following:
  • Identification card issued by the City or Municipal Mayor/Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) or of the barangay captain of the place where the senior citizen or the elderly resides
  • The passport of the elderly person or senior citizen concerned
  • Other documents that establish the senior citizen or elderly person is a citizen of the Republic and who is at least sixty (60) years of age

It may be worth mentioning also the great risks facing offenders. Section 10 (Penalties) of the same act states that:

• If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after the service of the sentence [six months or more imprisonment] without further deportation proceedings.

Filipino Senior Citizen Discount Benefits. If you are a foreigner and are using this benefit then BEWARE.

When in a supermarket or other store and even in some government offices like LTO, it is allowed to use the senior citizens lane, but do not try to get the discount Filipino Senior Citizens are getting.

• Like 2