Hunting Game In The Philippines

Will
Posted
Posted

Okay.... stop looking at me like I'm from the moon! Are there any places in the Philippines that one can hunt game, say with a gun? Can one even own a gun, take a gun out of the home,etc?

I'm asking because once we make that big trip, I plan on having at least a shotgun for home protection. That and the fact that me and asawa may have another anak and if its a boy, I want to teach him to hunt, just like my Daddy did with me when I was a boy. Some of my best memories of my father were when went hunting together.

Anyway, the gun ownership issue has probably been discussed to death here before, so I will just ask.. is there anywhere to go huntin' near Cebu? Thanks

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Okay.... stop looking at me like I'm from the moon! Are there any places in the Philippines that one can hunt game, say with a gun? Can one even own a gun, take a gun out of the home,etc?

I'm asking because once we make that big trip, I plan on having at least a shotgun for home protection. That and the fact that me and asawa may have another anak and if its a boy, I want to teach him to hunt, just like my Daddy did with me when I was a boy. Some of my best memories of my father were when went hunting together.

Anyway, the gun ownership issue has probably been discussed to death here before, so I will just ask.. is there anywhere to go huntin' near Cebu? Thanks

Sorry sir. Only a natural born Filipino citizen can own and possess a weapon.
  • Like 1

Will
Posted
Posted

Thanks. My asawa is gonna look mighty funny carrying HER guns through the forests. Lol

I dont even know if she knows what end goes bang. Hahaha

I am reading you right about my Filipina asawa legally owning a firearm for home defense? Even if its under MY side of the bed, for example.

samatm
Posted
Posted

I know some locals "huntin'" birds with air rifles. I have heard locals in leyte that go wild boar hunting.. that could be fun. They say the meat is super tasty. some go Croc hunting. I would guess there is quite a bit of hunting in the mountains etc.. just no deer stands etc. have to find the the right people that can take you trekking.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

They have ... I'm told ... gun clubs where you can go and rent firearms and target shoot but ammo is VERY EXPENSIVE here ..... I had to sell my gun collection when I left the states (I had a federal firearms license ) and collected military arms .... also used to take them to the range and shoot'um ...... not all at once just a few at a time :lol: .... only two out of 30 some I never got to shoot because I couldn't find ammo for them not even reloading it (which I also reloaded my own ammo) .....

Your asawa can buy a gun but you need to keep in mind that should you shoot it in the house and it happens to go through one of these flimsy walls and hits an innocent you will go to jail for a very long time (you being a foreigner and all) ...... as for hunting .... I have not personally heard of any foreigner engaging in this sport here ..... kinda like fresh fishing ..... they do sell rod and reels for fresh water but with all the trash like plastic bags and such all you might do is help clean out the crap from the river or creek ..... besides if it flies ... crawls ... walks or swims they eat it here with no thoughts of conservation ...... :hystery: :hystery: ...... except the governmental zones and even then they get into those and poach .... :mocking:

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

mikes post says whats important. the Philippines is incredibly overpopulated and the envirenment very degraded in most places and the people are poor, so if there is a way they can get a mouthful of meat to eat by hunting they have figured it out before u. My gf's brother blasts every bird that is foolish enough to come close to their place in province, which is one of remotest areas of cebu island, and u won't even find the smallest of tweety birds in the area anymore.

Maybe there could be a private preserve where for a hefty price you could hunt as i know they have in Texas and many other states. Maybe the rich here have that as an amusement also. Maybe a web aearch could find one.

I did get to shoot while here. I was in Ermita in manila and hanging out in a small park opposite the Ermita shrine church when I noticed, up a kind of back alley street a sign saying gun club. I checked it out and the manager was outside and I asked him if my gf can shoot. He said sure 50 pesos a shot. I gave him 500 pesos for ten shots.

They had a small range inside and targets set up about 40 ft away. I had choice of a 45 pistol or an automatic uzi kind of assault rifle. He said we could shoot it on full automatic but I too cheap for that and said semi is fine. As a combat vet i had done all the shooting i wanted to do in life before i was 21. I wanted my gf to be able to say she had the experience, but she got only three wild shoots off with the uzi before she had enough. I finished off the ten shots we paid for and it was kinda fun. Not quite the shooters eye I once had but able to hit the target at least. The pinoys present seemed impressed I was able to hold the heavy 45 on target. but advantage of being a big guy.

I know alot of guys from USA are big into guns. That is something you have to give up if you want to live here.

Edited by jode
  • Like 4

billten
Posted
Posted

I (sorry that's the lovely wife) have a 12 gauge pump and a 38 special. We go to a gun club every few weeks to practice and its all good and legal. I load the pump with bird shot and hunt the feral cats that infest my lot (bastards kill my piso) but we ALWAYS walk the entire lot before shooting and have people around to make sure there are no 'walk-on' visitors. That's about as good as you're gonna get with the huntin bro...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Plenty of hunting on Jolo island, you just need to adjust your target perceptions. :tiphat:

• Like 4

samatm
Posted
Posted

I wsnt kidding about the wild boar hunting in the mountains of leyte. I know several (locals) that do it. They hop in their muddin' Toyota landrovers and head out to some ol'd boys old coco plantation that hasn't been cultivated in years.. and start a huntin' . I am hankerin' to join the party but I'm not "in" yet.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Speaking of hunting boars or birds or monkeys or whatever they have available, anyone ever thought of doing it with bow and arrow? Just watched a Taiwanese epic movie about the Aboriginals here rebelling against the colonial Japanese, and saw a lot of bow and arrow action. Of course they had guns, too, and a gun provides a certain level of satisfaction in terms of power, but bow and arrow seems a little purer to me. Guns make it too easy.