Special Long Stay Visitor Visa

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

While still at the discussion stage, the proposal is a new visa to, "Allow the Generation 50 plus to stay continuously for 6 month within the country, renewable for up to 1 year maximum." This is part of the Department of Tourism strategy to increase the number of visitors to the Philippines. Still uncertain is whether this will be a visa or visa waiver program.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a dumb question but are they making any provisions to make sure that these new people coming here for 6 months will have a means of supporting themselves? ..... yes I know that there is no provision for the 21 day visa now but 6 months is a whole hell-of a big difference ..... I know I'm gonna ruffle some feathers but I think anyone coming here for more than 90 days should have to prove they have means to support themselves ..... IMHO

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The implementing rules are still being discussed by a public sector/private sector working committee.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

50+ !!! Finally something that I can make use of!!!

If they have it in place in time that is...!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

They are targeting to make the 50+ visa or visa waiver available by the end of this year. The Secretary of Tourism is a former marketing and advertising executive rather than a government bureaucrat. He started by setting a goal as to the total number of annual visitors. Next, he solicited for ideas on what to do to achieve the stated goal. Retirees either on long stay programs or permanent relocation can really benefit the economy through the inflow of foreign exchange and creation of new jobs.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

They are targeting to make the 50+ visa or visa waiver available by the end of this year. The Secretary of Tourism is a former marketing and advertising executive rather than a government bureaucrat. He started by setting a goal as to the total number of annual visitors. Next, he solicited for ideas on what to do to achieve the stated goal. Retirees either on long stay programs or permanent relocation can really benefit the economy through the inflow of foreign exchange and creation of new jobs.

Hope this gets done. It sure will make my life a bit easier after I make the move next spring.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
He started by setting a goal as to the total number of annual visitors. Next, he solicited for ideas on what to do to achieve the stated goal.

I wonder if he took into account the infrastructure to support his numbers or just picked a number that sounds good. There are only so many 'deals' available for hotels or housing etc. I suspect that increasing the number of tourists will raise prices more than I am currently paying for visas.

I have seen it happen in Cebu. 5 years ago you could get a very nice house for 10K a month but the increase in the number of foreign residents pushed the prices up quite a bit. You can still get a place for 10K but no longer a nice 3 bedroom house on the beach.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I wonder if he took into account the infrastructure to support his numbers or just picked a number that sounds good.

My assumption, as a successful marketing & advertising executive, the Secretary of Tourism started with research regarding the current tourism infracture and what additional facilities are needed to meet his target. I have not been following closely, but it is my understanding that World Bank funding is available for Philippine tourism projects. One requirement is diversity by funding new projects in rural areas. This is to ease the migration to the cities through the creation of employment opportunities in the provinces. So far, the Department of Tourism seems headed in the right direction. We have to wait and see. It is easy to issue press releases. Starting and completing new projects is more difficult.

• Like 2