Disabled Driver Using Hand-Controls

KunHo
Posted
Posted

Hi.

I am a paraplegic and use special adaptations fitted to the car to help use the gas and brake. I have a UK and a Hong Kong driving licence and a blue disabled badge.

My questions can people in wheelchair are allow to adapt their vehicle to drive in the Philippines. I have seen there are disabled parking in car-parks of mall but no one using it. Any one know if I can get a driving licence at all?

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hi.

I am a paraplegic and use special adaptations fitted to the car to help use the gas and brake. I have a UK and a Hong Kong driving licence and a blue disabled badge.

My questions can people in wheelchair are allow to adapt their vehicle to drive in the Philippines. I have seen there are disabled parking in car-parks of mall but no one using it. Any one know if I can get a driving licence at all?

I'm sorry KunHo but common courtesy, rules of the road, sidewalks and especially crosswalks

are virtually ignored and NOT properly enforced. In many cities throughout the islands, pure

road anarchy is the law of the land. Trying to navigate on a wheelchair in public places will be

difficult and often times dangerous.

Regarding vehicles that can be adapted or allowed to be driven by a handicapped person,

perhaps someone else could provide some information.

Sorry to burst your bubble, respectfully -- Jake

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, finding information from the LTO "web site" is difficult because it's more of a blog then a government web site. But according to this article the answers to both your questions is yes. But, as Jake says, there is little respect for the rules and road conditions are less then optimal and often dangerous. I don't know if you have visited but it's is a far cry from places like Hong Kong. Also, driving is on the right. Good luck.

• Like 4

KunHo
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, finding information from the LTO "web site" is difficult because it's more of a blog then a government web site. But according to this article the answers to both your questions is yes. But, as Jake says, there is little respect for the rules and road conditions are less then optimal and often dangerous. I don't know if you have visited but it's is a far cry from places like Hong Kong. Also, driving is on the right. Good luck.

The link is definite good news. I been driving over 15 years now so I seen all type of driving and I driven on both left and right hand side of the roads. I only need a car for getting from house to mall or beach

When the next time I'm there I go to a LTO branch and ask.

Thanks.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
gapotwo
Posted
Posted

The link is definite good news. I been driving over 15 years now so I seen all type of driving and I driven on both left and right hand side of the roads. I only need a car for getting from house to mall or beach

When the next time I'm there I go to a LTO branch and ask.

Thanks.

KunHo, Hi, I to am a paraplegic, (Cauda Equina Syndrome) 3years post surgery. I used to live in Maui Hawaii. and drove everyday, i had a 300SEL.Mercedes LWB. equiped with hand controls for throttle and brakes.it worked fine in hawaii. with no special permit, aside from my handicapped license plates. 4 months ago i moved back to my hometown in the philippines. Handicaped parking? never heard. Handicapped plates? non existant. special drivers license for disabled persons? not here. Here we are called PWD. or persons with disabilitys. plus the driving habits of most if not all my fellow philippinos are something to be desired. I found out the hard way. So to remedy the problem i was having. i hired a personal driver/gardener/unarmed bodygyard. (i pack my own heat.). you will find out that our disability can be overcome with a little planning and help from our local people. just dont let the obstacles get to you. if you need more info, please ask away. oh, there is a quad. in cebu . i belive his website is www.cebu on wheels. i dont regret making the move. tanks ej. :thumbsup:
  • Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

Can you keep us informed of the issues you run across due to any disabilities?

I was retired from the Air Force with a medical pension due to the fact that I have something without even a name... All I know is I can't feel my legs (hardly) at all any more and my right hand shakes so bad that I sometimes have to eat and drink with my other hand... And that I may end up in a wheelchair or maybe not! I'm living with the desire to remain the way I am but nobody can tell me what tomorrow will bring - especially the doctors. I am familiar with wheelchair use - my daughter was born a paraplegic (Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus, etc) so I have an idea but...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

I was retired from the Air Force with a medical pension due to the fact that I have something without even a name... All I know is I can't feel my legs (hardly) at all any more and my right hand shakes so bad that I sometimes have to eat and drink with my other hand... And that I may end up in a wheelchair or maybe not! I'm living with the desire to remain the way I am but nobody can tell me what tomorrow will bring - especially the doctors. I am familiar with wheelchair use - my daughter was born a paraplegic (Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus, etc) so I have an idea but...

will do what i can to keep you and others informed about Persons with disabilitys here in the Philippines, We all have our hurdles to overcome in one way or another in life, not to mention the uncertainties of moving to a foreign country while being disabled. I consider myself lucky, that i adjusted easily to life here, I would like to also suggest to BOSSMAAN or Jollygoodfellow,to open a topic or area in the forum for Persons With Disabelities. so us disabled people can keep others informed about accesability and what to expect in the Philippines. instead of saying , good luck bud... tanks ej. :attention:

Sorry late reply

OK Will do as soon as I can, great idea :thumbsup:

• Like 5

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

will do what i can to keep you and others informed about Persons with disabilitys here in the Philippines, We all have our hurdles to overcome in one way or another in life, not to mention the uncertainties of moving to a foreign country while being disabled. I consider myself lucky, that i adjusted easily to life here, I would like to also suggest to BOSSMAAN or Jollygoodfellow,to open a topic or area in the forum for Persons With Disabelities. so us disabled people can keep others informed about accesability and what to expect in the Philippines. instead of saying , good luck bud... tanks ej. :attention:

Sorry late reply

OK Will do as soon as I can, great idea :thumbsup:

THANKS Bossman, here is a good start, www.twh.org.ph People making a difference for PWD. tanks ej. :)
  • Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

My questions can people in wheelchair are allow to adapt their vehicle to drive in the Philippines.

Yes

You can see an example in my "No Disability" video. Copy and paste this link into your browser to download it.

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/videos/no_disability.wmv

The vehicle in the video was converted in Cebu City.

• Like 3