English -> Cebuano Flash Cards

i am bob
Posted
Posted

But Greg! No matter where you go, you will find words that mean different things due to the locale they are used..! Just think about the difference between the USA and Canada! If a Newfoundlander (a person from the Canadian Province on the East Coast for those not sure) stated he was going to "hunt the Wild Bologna", some would consider that he may be referring to a form of male bonding while in actual fact he is going away for a wild weekend of partying and drinking in a location outside of town. Ok, maybe a little extreme but IMHO it all comes down to how words are interpreted locally, and not the actual word meaning...

And, no! I do not say "A-Boot"!

:mocking:

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just think about the difference between the USA and Canada!

Absolutely correct Bob... There is a difference between USA and USA also; I'd forgotten that I have trouble understanding folks from Tennessee being from Wisconsin originally, ehh! To me ale is something I drink and they think it is the 12th letter in the alphabet. :hystery: And I really like the British pissed (drunk) as opposed to American pissed (angry). Clearly they have identified this difference with the notations behind the different types of English.

Does anyone know what part of the world English (upsidedown) originated in??? I saw this selection on facebook the other day and even used it for a while since I am fluent from 30 years of reading stuff on people's desks. :mocking:

Edited by GregZ

• 3 months later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Yes, but nothing downloaded. Maybe someone else can try?

Well that's true, nothing downloaded. Got a message saying that I need to check the spelling of the link :unsure: :(

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well that's true, nothing downloaded. Got a message saying that I need to check the spelling of the link :unsure: :(

You need to use this link https://www.box.com/s/3878f6bd42ce9a3a6b72

Edited by sjp52

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

You need to use this link https://www.box.com/...6bd42ce9a3a6b72

Wow, thanks alot. Now I can get started learning at least basic commands :dance: :541: :lol:

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted
Wow, thanks alot. Now I can get started learning at least basic commands :dance: :541: :lol:

I'm good at TAKING basic commands. So far I am proficient at sit, eat, stay; me and the dog are doing well. :hystery:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

You need to use this link https://www.box.com/...6bd42ce9a3a6b72

Found a better way for max rertention (don't know yet if it works :bash: :lol: :1 (103): :th_imstupid: :whistling: )load them onto an ipod..I did will let ya'll know what happens.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Dahil Nakakita ako ng libreng online na tagasalin sa pamamagitan Google.But maging maingat, ako ay sinabi na ang isa sa aking mga pagsasalin mixed Cebuano at Tagalog mula sa programang ito

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Dahil Nakakita ako ng libreng online na tagasalin sa pamamagitan Google.But maging maingat, ako ay sinabi na ang isa sa aking mga pagsasalin mixed Cebuano at Tagalog mula sa programang ito

I'm sorry DayDreamer, but it would seem that you had nightmare attack on your cognitive thought process --

your sentence structure is way out in left field.  No....joke lang Pare!  In fact, I don't know WTF you're tooking

about.  

But I can readily see that a relatively new member such as yourself, took the time and effort to trail blaze your

own unique path on how to really get to know the people at street or barrio level.    

I must commend both you and GregZ for your noble cause to improve yourself and your immediate surroundings.  

You guys remind me of young pot smokin' college dudes from UC Berkeley but got your chit together like the

members of the US Peace Corp.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

And here I was just thinking that Daydreamer would be chastised for using some foreign language, since this is the English area of the site, and not giving the translation.  I think it says that Google can translate alien languages as well as foreign ones.  It must be in Venusian based on Jake's comments.

I still only know how to sit, stay, rollover and drink in Visayan. :bash:  Tagay!

I will guess that the "foreign" text says that the Google translator mixes Cebuano (Visayan) and Tagalog when it attempts to translate.  That would explain, "I don't know WTF you're tooking about. "

• Like 2