Surfing Location In Phili

Snakebite
Posted
Posted

Hi

Was looking for surfing locations in Phili other than cloud nine and mona lisa in Luzon.

Also any other surfers who want to organise surf trips.

Cheers

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I would love to help you in your quest however the only thing that can keep me up an a wave is a ro ro (roll on .. roll of) ..... :hystery: ..... I tried skimming one time and as soon as my fat arse stepped up on the board it got jammed down into the sand and I went flying arse over tea kettle ...... it was not a pretty sight but I'm betting it was damn funny ..... :mocking: .... I'm sure someone can help you ...... Oooooops wait a minute we just saw a program on Living Asia ...... Catanduanes ..... in region V ..... showed some fantastic waves ..... but then I'm no surfer ..... well on water that is .... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah Skimboarding is a lot of fun. I did consider surfing here but it seems you have already found the most popular spots. I would guess there are many remote spots all around but a lot depends on the weather and not so much a steady swell like you get in Australia etc.

I recently started skimboarding and as I live on a beach I'm able to go out most days, I have a wooden one which is a bit of a plank but good enough for practicing and having fun. I went to Cebu city but I could not find anyone selling them besides Speedo in SM that only sold wooden ones and they were out of stock. On my next trip back to Aussie I will bring back a handful of carbon fibre and fibreglass ones. The good thing about skimming is that you can do it nearly anytime, Also, when you fall it's not so worrying for someone getting older like me at least if I fall it's only in the sand and not like skateboarding. It's like half skating and half surfing which suits me just fine, love it! :0

We were out on the beach today with my girlfriend, there was a storm here lately so the normally flat water had some small waves and we were doing some body surfing with the skimboard,. My girlfriend loved it, lots of fun although the water was a bit murky from the storm.

I know that in Luzon there are lots of surfing spots all around, especially on the northern side and on both coasts. There is meant to be a very nice break at the top called Blue Lagoon ;:

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I went surfing for the first time ever in Borongan, Samar province, and the second time in San Juan, Luzon. San Juan was really nice and seems to be quite a popular spot. A lot of resorts set up there catoring to people who want to surf.

In Samar I found some guides off the internet, and they were good dudes. It was a stormy day and my first time so we stayed near the town (Borongan), and surfed in the bay on smaller waves. However, all up and down the Pacific side of Samar I could hear and sometimes see big waves crashing at the beach while riding in the van from Tacloban. It's one of those places you would probably need a guide, however, or a sense of adventure, because it's not a very developed province or surf scene. Big potential though.

At the south eastern tip of Samar, near Tacloban, there's a place called Calicoan that all the locals talk about. It's supposed to be a really good surfing spot. Whenever I land in Tacloban and ask about it, the taxi drivers always tell me about foreigners they took up there for this price or that.

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 2

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Here's a story I found.... You probably already read it at some point. http://surfdoc.blogspot.ca/2008/05/mabuhay-magazine-april-2008.html

• Like 2

miguelsp
Posted
Posted

Hi, I have been in Lanuza (Mindanao). It´s about 4 hours by van from Surigao. It´s a nice place with a very few foreigners and locals. There is a nice right with sand bottom and other reef breaks.

The problem is there is no motorbike rent in the location and to get to the spots you need to get a driver.

Usually I stay 4 months in Siargao but I interested in discover new places for surfing.

If you are planning surf trips in the Phillipines I am interested to join. I will be in the Phill from Dec 2012 up to March 2013.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
FredM
Posted
Posted

Guess this is an old thread but have you tried Baler in Aurora Province? Wasn't much there when I was there over 20 years ago but it had some good swells.