Canadian Citizen Killed In Surigao City

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Update:

Attended two hearings today and have updates on three cases currently in the courts.

1. Frustrated Murder - shooting of Arnel Sidon - suspect Jerome Devocion: Last week was the final hearing in this case. The defense attorney for Jerome Devocion had been given a final 10 days to have his final witness take the stand. Atty. Zerda was in fact a no-show to this hearing and the case was closed and will now go before the judge who will make his final ruling on the case. I was told by Atty. A.S. Casurra that the judge's ruling generally takes three months from the date the case is closed. This time is allowed for the judge to properly view all the evidence and witness statements before making his final decision on the case.

2. Arson - Miss. Kima Linugon and family - suspect Jerome Devocion: The defense Attorney hired by Jane Doyle wife to represent Jerome Devocion had a scheduled witness, brother of Jane Doyle, who did not appear in court today to take the stand. Atty. Zerda asked the court to issue a subpoena for his witness and a new hearing date was set for this coming September 17th. As this case is in the stage where the defense witnesses are taking the stand, I would expect that this case should be rapping up soon and will also be scheduled for the judge's final ruling.

3.) Murder case of Harry Doyle - suspects Jerome Devocion and Jeffery Parian: Today's hearing was used to request that PNP investigator Anthony Miole be allowed to take the stand today  The reason was that the Statement of PNP Inspector Rosemarie Almazan and PNP Inspector Anthony Miole was a Joint Statement and presently PNP Rosemarie Almazan is in Manila preparing to take the Legal Bar Exam. Atty Zerda was trying to block PNP Inspector Anthony from taking the stand requesting that PNP Rosemarie Almazan be present in the courtroom. Atty. A.S. Casurra explained that in fact PNP Rosemarie Almazan had already taken the stand and was properly cross-examined by both defense attorneys. The judge decided that as the joint statement was each supporting the same statement and since PNP Rosemarie Almazan has previously taken the stand that PNP Inspector Anthony Miole would be allowed to take the stand during tomorrow's scheduled hearing. Also Atty. A.S. Casurra asked for a September 7th hearing date to allow a PNP official to travel down from Manila to take the stand and present the Ballistic Report of the rounds recovered from the body of Harry Doyle during the autopsy. It is my understanding that when suspect Jeffery Parian was captured during a shootout with arresting officers that a .9mm pistol was found on the person of Jeffery Parian. That the results of a Ballistic test showed that the weapon matched that of a .9mm round recovered from the Body of slain Harry Doyle and also a murdered victim in another case involving Jefferey Parian where he is also a prime suspect.

The present status of the arrest warrant and extradition request for Jane Doyle: Atty. A.S. Casurra told me last week that it is still in the hands of the Philippine D.O.J. and that he had been contacted as to the status of these documents. Atty. Casurra told me that he had requested that the Canadian Embassy contact the D.O.J. to see if they could use their influence to help expedite the process. I will post any update to this matter. 

I will attend the scheduled hearing tomorrow and will post if there is any new information that is note worthy.

• Like 4

HarryBeatMeAtTennis
Posted
Posted

The inexorable lawful process seems to headed in a specific direction at long last and to paraphrase Sherlock "'Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.'" This Parian person is going down it seems, whether for Harry's demise or other horrendous actions. He was just the hired help and maybe will spill his guts to try and save his miserable hide and implicate the persons who concocted this dishonorable and vile act.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Update:

Today PNP SPO3 Anthony Miole took the stand to testify about the 2013 crime scene investigation at the Palma Beach Resort in Punta Pilar, Surigao City. During cross-examination the defense attorney paid by Jane Doyle to represent suspect Jerome Devocion Atty. Zerda questioned Inspector Miole about different aspects surrounding the investigation such as the various prosecution witnesses of the Martlaw party, such as who were these witnesses, when these witnesses were questioned, when and where were these witnesses had their statements taken. He also had questions pertaining to the rouge gallery photos (2-pages of mug shots) such as how were these photos chosen and compiled on the two printed sheets of paper and if there were any marks on the document.  Inspector Miole explained that PNP inspector Rosemarie Almazan was the lead investigator and some witnesses were questioned in his presence and some he questioned himself and others were only questioned by Lead Investigator Rosemarie Almazan. Inspector Miole told Atty. Zerda that at first witness Mr. Marlaw Orquina did not want to testify out of fear for his life, but that days later he came to the PNP Station and described the two shooters to the police. That after he had given his description that day that PNP Inspector Rosemarie Almazan went into a computer file which held known mug shots and she choose a group of images which appeared to possibly match the descriptions he had provided. That these photos were then compiled and printed out on two sheets of paper which has been often been referred to as the “Rouge Gallery”. That Mr. Martlaw Orquina then looked at the “Rouge Gallery” and identified three of the men from that 2-page document (Jerome Devocion, Johnny Parian and Jeffery parian).

Shortly after that Atty. Zerda begin to repeatedly bring up my own name again as well as two other witnesses for the prosecution (Canadian citizen Michael K. Hodgkinson an my own wife) as all three of us were together at an expat gathering at Mario’s Bar and Restauro eleven days before Harry Doyle was murdered. Atty. Zerda seem to be trying once again to draw suspicion towards me and even questioned Anthony Miole if he had investigated me as he said I had implicated Jane Doyle, when he implied to Anthony that should have investigated me Atty. A.S. Casurra objected and explained that Inspector Anthony Miole was there to give his testimony as to the crime scene at the Punta Pilar Resort. The judge then told Atty Zerda that he was to question the PNP about their Palma Resort investigation and not to try to dictate to the PNP how they are to conduct their investigations. I believe the judge’s point was that the PNP inspectors are properly trained and skilled in conducting an investigation and Atty. Zerda is only a lawyer and not actually qualified to try to dictate to the PNP Inspector.

Atty. Zerda then told the judge that he felt the judge  was bias and should therefor remove himself from the proceedings (bring in a new Judge). The irony is the judge is a long-time experienced judge with a sound reputation. The judge seemed quite surprised by this request but remained poised and explained that it is his job to insure the letter of the law is properly observed and also to train lawyers to how to conduct themselves within a courtroom, and it is not his duty to just yield to an attorney’s will or to do their bidding of a lawyer. The Judge then told Atty. Zerda that he is allowed 5 days by law to file his request. This meant that the scheduled September 7th hearing has to now be cancelled, even though that date was set so the PNP official who had conducted the Ballistic Test could be flown in from Manila to testify as a State witness for the Prosecution. The judge will allow Atty. Zerda’s request and Atty. Zerda said he will file the request in the next 5 days. The judge said, “ I will do this, but I doubt it will be in your favor.”

I believe it was merely another desperate attempt of Atty. Zerda to try once again to try to implicate me even though I have never been considered to be a suspect either in the 2012 staged shooting attempt at Jane's Lodge or in the murder of Harry Doyle. The judge has had to tell Atty. Zerda to refrain from doing this several times during these proceedings, as he has continually tried to implicate. Once was when he was cross-examining PNP lead Investigator Rosemarie Almazan last year, and the judge had done the same. Then again he tried to implicate me during his cross-examined me when I took the stand. That time the judge had him stop his line of questioning and told him if he had any proof then he needs to have his collaborating witness bring it up when he presents his own witnesses. Then back in November of 2013 Atty. Zerda had brought this up before when he tried to file Perjury charges against all the PNP investigators and prosecution witnesses but was found to be to unsubstantiated by facts and was dismissed, I was told by the PNP investigators that the State Prosecutor, during the time these Perjury allegations were being reviewed, actually asked them then if they thought it was possible that I could be considered a suspect. And even before that both Atty. Zerda and Jane Doyle have tried to implicate me as a possible suspect during an interview with Canadian press which my name was mentioned twice as a possible suspect in Canadian newspapers. Atty. Zerda seems quite determined to continue beating this dead horse in a desperate attempt to discredit me, have my statement removed from the proceedings and help draw attention from his own client Jane Doyle. This is because my own testimony, supported by two other witnesses, actually implicates Jane Doyle as the possible master-mind in Harry’s murder.

So we can only wait, watch and see what transpires next over the next few weeks. This is such an odd case.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Update to case:

After the attorney representing Jerome Parian and Jane Doyle Atty. Zerda had requested that the judge remove himself due to his being bias, the case seems to now the back on tract. The special prosecution representing the Canadian Family of Harry Doyle Attorney A.S. Casurra sent me a text to say saying the court has scheduled hearing dates for November 10 & 11, and those dates are for the final two States witness for the prosecution to take the stand and be properly cross-examined. One witness is the head PNP S.O.C.O. officer who headed the actual crime scene investigation, and she should be able to answer any question which the Surigao City PNP investigators could not officially answer about evidence gathered the evening of the shooting at the Palma Resort, Punta Bilar, Surigao City. The second State witness I believe is the PNP officer who actually conducted the ballistic test on the 9mm pistol which was recovered when Jeffery Parion was arrested. The test results will determine if any of the slugs recovered from the body of Harry Doyle did in fact show a match to that pistol which was found on the person of Jeffery Parian who is suspected of being one of the two shooters who shot and killed the Canadian businessman Harry Doyle at a family gathering. The other shooting suspect in this case Johny Parian, brother to Jeffery Parian, is presently still at large. Also still at large is Jane Doyle, wife of the slain businessman Harry Doyle, who is also considered a prime suspect and is presently still in Canada at this time.

• Like 2

HarryBeatMeAtTennis
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update James and best wishes

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Interpol notice for Filipina wife of murdered Fredericton man Harry Doyle

nick-profile.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w= By Nick Logan World Reporter/Global National Web Producer  Global News

harry-jane-doyle-apr2011.jpg?quality=70&

Harry Doyle and Jane Doyle are seen in an April 2011 photo posted on Facebook, The photo was taken in a guesthouse the couple owned, called Jane's Lodge, in Surigao City, Philippines. (File photo)

Facebook/Global News files

Interpol has posted a Red Notice for the wife of Fredericton businessman Harry Doyle, more than three years after he was shot to death at a beach resort in the southern Philippines.

His Filipina wife, Erma “Jane” Udang Doyle, is one of the main suspects in 62-year-old’s murder and has maintained a residence in Fredericton since shortly after his death on Aug. 12, 2012.

A Red Notice is not a warrant, but an alert to member nations of the international policing organization that a suspect is wanted and a request is being made for arrest and extradition.

interpol-jane-doyle.jpg?quality=70&strip

The Interpol Red Notice for Erma “Jane” Udang Doyle, wanted for the murder of her husband Harry Doyle of Fredericton.

Interpol/Globalnews.ca screen grab

Harry’s older sister was surprised to learn about the notice when Global News contacted her at home Wednesday morning.

“That’s completely news to me,” Anne Doyle said. But she remains cautious about whether this means Jane Doyle will be extradited back to the Philippines. She and her younger sister, Joan Doyle, have been patiently holding onto hope that justice will finally be served in the case. But, as time goes on, they wonder when or even if that will happen.

“The justice system in the Philippines is very, very different from our system in Canada and to say I have faith in it at this point would be stretching it,” she said, although she said lawyers and police in the southern city of Surigao, where Harry lived with Jane and their son, have been supportive and encouraging.

READ MORE: Family, friends frustrated with slow pace of Harry Doyle murder case

To Anne’s knowledge, Canadian officials have yet to receive an extradition request from the Philippines. The family’s lawyer in the Philippines, she said, believed the best chance at getting Jane extradited to face charges would be if the other three suspects are found guilty and convicted.

At the time of publication, Global News was awaiting a response from RCMP about the Red Notice and whether any request. In an email to Global News ;ater Wednesday evening, the RCMP said it would not comment on the specific case but explained Mounties can only arrest a foreign fugitive if he or she has committed a crime in Canada or if an arrest warrant is issued by Canadian authorities after receiving a Provisional Arrest Request from a foreign country.

Police in the Philippines charged Jane Doyle with her husband’s murder — a charge of parricide, the murder of a parent or close relative — on Sept. 6, 2012, less than two weeks after she arrived in Canada with Harry’s remains, their son Joseph and pregnant with another child.

Jane, now 39, is one of four suspects in the murder. The other three are on trial in connection with the shooting but only two of the suspects, including Harry’s former driver, are in custody in the Philippines.

Police investigators believe Jane orchestrated her husband’s murder, that she was having an affair with their driver, Jerome Devocion, and the pair contracted brothers Jhonny (also in custody) and Jeffrey Parian (still at large) to carry out the shooting.

Harry left his entire estate worth more than $1.9 million to Jane in 2010, according to documents obtained by Global News. Other than covering the cost of the funeral and some costs associated with his Fredericton home, the estate has been frozen since after his death; she can’t receive anything if she’s convicted of his murder. The will is also being contested by Harry’s son from another marriage.

A warrant for Jane’s arrest was issued in the Philippines in August 2013, a year after Harry”s murder. It was another full year before the trial got underway and it’s still ongoing.

READ MORE: Philippine police confirm arrest warrants issued in murder of Fredericton man

Anne and her sister Joan have travelled to the Philippines twice since Harry was shot to death; Anne testified in the trial last year.

Despite apparently living in Fredericton all this time, Anne Doyle said she has had no contact with Jane since shortly after her brother was laid to rest on Oct. 5 of that year.

“I had invited her to that and tried to involve her in planning for it, but she didn’t get involved in anything about it, but she did show up,” said Anne, who is also executrix of her brother’s estate. “Not once have I run into her.”

Calls to Jane Doyle’s last known residence in Fredericton and the attorney she hired after coming to Fredericton, Ronald Morris, were not answered.

In her sworn affidavit, taken in Fredericton on Sept. 10, 2012, Jane said the allegations against her were unsubstantiated. She denied having any part in the killing.

Despite the slow pace of the judicial process, Anne Doyle said the family isn’t going to abandon the process. And no matter how much time has passed, she says their family is sitill mourning.

“He was a well-known Fredericton character and he is very much missed in our family,” Anne said. “The grief is still enormous.”

© Shaw Media, 2015

http://globalnews.ca/news/2291106/interpol-notice-for-filipina-wife-of-murdered-fredericton-man-harry-doyle/

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Police investigators believe Jane orchestrated her husband’s murder, that she was having an affair with their driver, Jerome Devocion

I don't follow this case closely but I am curious about:

Sept. 6, 2012, less than two weeks after she arrived in Canada with Harry’s remains, their son Joseph and pregnant with another child.

So she must have had this child by now.  Who does he look like?  Was DNA done?

The wife having an affair with the driver and killing the husband, then cremating the body, has been done so many times before but this is the first case where I see something being investigated.

• Like 1

HarryBeatMeAtTennis
Posted
Posted

A1

thanks James

• Like 2

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Interpol notice for Filipina wife of murdered Fredericton man Harry Doyle

nick-profile.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w= By Nick Logan World Reporter/Global National Web Producer  Global News

Police investigators believe Jane orchestrated her husband’s murder, that she was having an affair with their driver, Jerome Devocion, and the pair contracted brothers Jhonny (also in custody) and Jeffrey Parian (still at large) to carry out the shooting.

This is an error in the above Canadian News report: Jeffery Parian (is in custody) and it is Jhonny Parian who is the brother that is (still at large).

• Like 1