Living On A Boat In The Philippines

Curley
Posted
Posted

I wonder if anyone on here has any info on live aboard boats in the Phils. I love the sea but am not a particular lover of bigger boats BUT as we're not allowed to buy land and I cannot find a house to rent near a decent beach my thoughts have turned to having a local banca converted to living accommodation. Something fairly simple like some of the dive boats but with a galley, one bathroom, one bedroom, with perhaps solar panels over the deck space to give shade and power, water catchment, wind genny hmmmm.

The Phils offers vast amounts of sea space and I would have thought that anchoring off somewhere reasonably close to a town/city with shopping malls etc would not be a problem. Just imagining, cool sea breezes, jumping in for a swim at any time, fishing for my dinner, a nice little Fillipina for a housekeeper, a dinghy for going ashore. I could probably get a new boat built for say $25,000 ..... it would pay for itself in saved rent after a few years and I'd still have the boat to sell on if I give it up when I become too old.

Captains licence needed?

Your thoughts, criticisms etc are most welcome.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don't see why not. I've noticed the local boats are not very wide but other than that anything can be done with a little money.

You would need a trusted guard on the live aboard any time you were to go ashore. I would not feel safe living on a boat off shore but that's just me.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

You would need a full time guard . And moaring at at safe marina is way more than rent . I love the idea but when I checked into it very impractical . But traveling around to different islands and exploring is still a dream for me . Boats can be found here for a bargain compared to just about anywhere and I mean big ones . As for finding a nice house to rent by a beach i found a couple near Moalboal and I,m sure theres more

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

You would need a full time guard . And moaring at at safe marina is way more than rent . I love the idea but when I checked into it very impractical . But traveling around to different islands and exploring is still a dream for me . Boats can be found here for a bargain compared to just about anywhere and I mean big ones . As for finding a nice house to rent by a beach i found a couple near Moalboal and I,m sure theres more

Yes, I had thought about the need for a guard plus maybe a good dog. As for finding a nice house to rent by a beach i found a couple near Moalboal and I,m sure theres more PLEASE can you let me have some details.

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Plenty of places to rent in Moalboal at all levels of rent just depends what you want 5,000 per month very basic up to 60,000 per month for big villa on the beach front loads of land. Lived there myself for a couple of years and still get back there every now and then.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You would need a full time guard . And moaring at at safe marina is way more than rent . I love the idea but when I checked into it very impractical

All true. There is a marina that is commonly used for this purpose at the north end of Danao. Its call the DryDocks but lots of foreign yachties keep their boats there because it it the most reasonably priced place around. But still as much as renting. One of the fellow I know there was keeping his boat in the marina and still renting a house in Danao for his GF. So if cheap is the issue, its not. But it is affordable (Maybe not on $800 a month though Hee Hee)

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Plenty of places to rent in Moalboal at all levels of rent just depends what you want 5,000 per month very basic up to 60,000 per month for big villa on the beach front loads of land. Lived there myself for a couple of years and still get back there every now and then.

Perhaps another place to look at. I don't need a big villa with loads of bedrooms but realise that if I want a house with spacious rooms then I have to rent bedrooms that I don't need. Around 40,000 a month would get me somewhere decent?

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)
You would need a full time guard . And moaring at at safe marina is way more than rent . I love the idea but when I checked into it very impractical

All true. There is a marina that is commonly used for this purpose at the north end of Danao. Its call the DryDocks but lots of foreign yachties keep their boats there because it it the most reasonably priced place around. But still as much as renting. One of the fellow I know there was keeping his boat in the marina and still renting a house in Danao for his GF. So if cheap is the issue, its not. But it is affordable (Maybe not on $800 a month though Hee Hee)

Is it necessary to use a marina? If the boat sustains itself with enough power, water etc that it would only need to come into a marina occasionally to refuel etc or to shelter in times of bad weather?

Cheap is not the issue, having clean sea water to play in is, money tied up in something that cannot be taken away by girlfriend/family/whoever is an attraction and the ability to upsticks and move lock stock and barrel is an attraction also. The idea of using a bangka instead of a purpose built catamaran or yacht is to not be too visible as well as not having too much money tied up in something if the S++t hits the fan somehow.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Is it necessary to use a marina?

All the 'boaters' I have know stay at marinas, or have a full time stay aboard security/helper, or have parts stolen (propellers are a big theft item) or have the boats tip over when the tide goes out and they find the water they are moored in is too shallow (I looked all over for the photo of that. Its priceless, but cannot find it today).

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted
PLEASE can you let me have some details.

Pm sent Curley