Mike, wana play a game?

Pick one favorite;

Pick one that in the history of Philippines has never been ticketed;

Make up one not listed;

• Like 4

S123
Posted
Posted

When I was living and working in the Philippines many years ago, we were told that the police can not take the license from you. We were told to show a copy of a law stating that the license is a personal possesion and can not be taken. However, I lost it atleast two times and had to go pay the fine. ;)

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was living and working in the Philippines many years ago, we were told that the police can not take the license from you. We were told to show a copy of a law stating that the license is a personal possesion and can not be taken. However, I lost it atleast two times and had to go pay the fine. ;)

Hello S123,

You're absolutely right! I have the pleasure of meeting a Filipino lawyer and a formal NBI agent who is actually my good

friend and neighbor. His explicit instructions as follows:

-When stopped, give courtesy and respect

-When asked for a driver's licence, the PNP is NOT allowed to physically hold it.

-When asked to follow him to his car or corner, lock your vehicle.....his partner may attempt to plant some evidence inside.

-You have the right to refuse to have them search your vehicle, including the trunk, unless they have a warrant.

Thank you Mike S for the hit list. I'm going to laminate mine.......he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
Added more bullets
  • Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

That's not a list! It's a bible!!! Or as long as one at any rate! Not sure my glove box is big enough to fit a list that long!

Still fasinating information, and I will print it out!

Would be interested to know where it came from, and if there is an "official document" where they are listed as it might leave a better impression if it looked more official.

Great stuff, thanks

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

This would never happen in my fine country :hystery:

In the ‘70’s there was a famous speed trap in town of Ludowici, Georgia (pop 1000). Before the interstate was built, three highways ran through the town. The cops set up a traffic light in the middle of the town and connected it to a switch in a near-by barber shop so they could change the light from green to red instantly. There was a short-cut detour around the light known to the locals, so only “out-of-towners” got stopped.

Most famous was a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, which made itself into a “village” in 1947 occupying 3 blocks of U.S Route 40. The village had 60 residents, 14 of which were policemen. The “village” earned $400,000 annually in traffic stops – some for speeding but most from broken tail lights, illegal tinting, etc. It took a specific act of the Ohio legislature to disband the “village”.

Hmmmm … I wonder where the bad Filipino cops get their ideas. :1 (103):

• Like 3

S123
Posted
Posted
Hmmmm … I wonder where the bad Filipino cops get their ideas. :1 (103):

Don't worry! There was a good spanish influence before the US got their say ;)

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
-When asked for a driver's licence, the PNP is NOT allowed to physically hold it.

I don't believe that is correct, at least according to this. The police are legally empowered to confiscate the license and issue a receipt authorizing you to drive good for 72 hours. How could they even effect a traffic stop and check if your license is valid if they can't physically hold it? There's a lot of discussion and misinformation about this but the law seems clear.

When I got my driver's license I was also issued an Official Receipt, it's the same form used as an OR of a vehicle but it stipulates it's for a DL. I was told (not by an official) if stopped by the police I should give them that form, not the DL. If I didn't have the OR, they would take and hold the license but I'm not sure if that is true. I don't drive that much here but when I do the last thing I am worried about is the police. I don't expect much help from them either.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Interesting ...... I read else where to make a copy of the receipt and NEVER NEVER loose it as that is the only thing that tells for sure that your license is real and not a fake ..... I was told that they can duplicate the license with out to much problem but the official number on the receipt will tell them if it is real or not ...... and I was also told you need the receipt to renew your license when it expires ............ but as I said I only read this on another forum so nothing official to back it up ..... but I did make a laminated copy of the receipt and keep it in the glove box ............ you can't have to many back-up copies of anything here in the Phils .. IMHO ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ............. :cheersty:

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Copyright is 2008 so its 4 years old. I believe some of the fines have increased since this list was made. For example 54F No Helmet lists P150. I believe the fine is P600 now and will be P1000 when the new helmet requirement goes into effect on January 1st. You will need an approved helmet then with a sticker.

I believe its your foreign Driver License that the LTO and PNP cannot take. They can't take your Passport either. Those are foreign documents. They can confiscate your Filipino Driver License until you pay your fine.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3