Real Dairy ( Cow ) Milk

Leslie Lao
Posted
Posted

thank you. yes that's the one i was referring to. Been scouring the net all night looking for fresh milk. Unlike Manila, Davao and some other areas Cebu doesn't seem to have these readily available in grocery stores. I remember seeing them in groceries before but  I haven't seen them in the recent years. If you know of any other reliable seller that would be great. I am looking for goat's  milk too as I want to try making yogurt out of it. Been told they taste better 

WHIPPING BOY
Posted
Posted

Interesting to see the Philippines Dairy Industry is so new.

Here in South Africa most people consume a fair quantity of milk. With some areas equally hot and humid as Phils perhaps expats should be a bit cautious of Raw milk.

Here it is illegal to sell unpasteurised milk for human consumption. A special license is required for this and only one farm in South Africa has the license to do so. Raw milk is unpasteurised, which means it may contain a multitude of bacteria that is harmful to humans.

Pasteurization is very important, because it kills the bacteria in the milk which can make you sick. Unpasteurized milk can carry dangerous organisms such as Brucella abortus, Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria, which are responsible for causing numerous foodborne diseases such as listeriosis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, diphtheria, and brucellosis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, WHIPPING BOY said:

the Philippines Dairy Industry is so new.

I suggest it is not new, it just did not catch on.  Due to dairy import agreements it seems cheaper and easier for the supermarkets to sell imported milk and dairy products than to support local farms.  Most of the dairy farms here, to my knowledge, are sponsored by the government or the universities.  It seems their main purpose is to teach people for OFW farm jobs, IMHO.

With the average house and sari sari store having no refrigerator space for dairy products it is left to those who can afford imported goods to support the dairy industry, and apart from the UHT milk in a box, all the other imported dairy products are superior to local production, (again IMO).

2 hours ago, Leslie Lao said:

I am looking for goat's  milk too as I want to try making yogurt out of it. Been told they taste better 

As one who raised and milked goats in my younger days (and separated the milk, made butter, and made ice cream but never yoghurt) I can tell you that I would not believe Philippine goats milk would make better tasting yoghurt UNLESS you had someone who really knew what they were doing.  So many things affect the taste of goats milk but the big 4 are:  Separating the milk goats from the males.  Watching what the milk goats eat to be sure they do not eat anything that will taint the taste of the milk.  Cleanliness.   Quick refrigeration.  It is hard to find those 4 things among Philippine goat farmers.

WHIPPING BOY
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suggest it is not new, it just did not catch on

I'm sure you'r right. Not catching on might have something to do with the suggestion of Asians being intolerant  to milk? However some have said that same thing with regard to Africans too, true or not , [untrue] they, in many tribes, ''turn'' their milk into sour milk. Easily done without refrigerators in these high temperatures, and usually a healthy and delicious though somewhat an acquired taste. Retaining all the high animal protein and fats. Closest thing I've found would be Bulgarian Yoghurt, but without any starter culture. Of course there are those who like to add blood to the milk right at the start.....[why muck about with sugar water chaps..]

As a side note, the process of souring the milk actually kills off the harmful bacteria found in Raw Milk so often punted as healthy by the ''clean'' developed world.

Regard should be given to the hygiene of the dairy and IMO also the climate paying a significant role. So I still advise caution to expats.

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A bit off topic but I found that to be very interesting. 

For the record I would avoid any raw milk in Philippines. Becoming ill due to e coli in an underdeveloped country could be deadly.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/8/2018 at 4:57 AM, WHIPPING BOY said:

Interesting to see the Philippines Dairy Industry is so new.

Cebu dairy has been operating 26 years, They have according to their website 310 dairy farmers in their co-op. They will deliver for 2 or more liters. http://cebudairy.com/home/

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 3/8/2018 at 6:27 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

With the average house and sari sari store having no refrigerator space for dairy products......

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Many ppl here don’t even have refrigerators or if they do then they tend to be smaller ones. Hence the small “single use” cartons of milk. I also notice many ppl here use powdered milk as they can mix only what’s needed. In addition, a lot of sorry sorry stores as well as other small businesses turn off their refrigerators when they are closed. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Gator said:
On 3/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

With the average house and sari sari store having no refrigerator space for dairy products......

I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Many ppl here don’t even have refrigerators or if they do then they tend to be smaller ones. Hence the small “single use” cartons of milk. I also notice many ppl here use powdered milk as they can mix only what’s needed. In addition, a lot of sorry sorry stores as well as other small businesses turn off their refrigerators when they are closed. 

So true. My inlaws have a refrigerator but the only time they really use it much is when  I visit. Old proven habits of preparing and storing food are slow to change.

RBM
Posted
Posted

My last visit to Cebu a week or so back I noticed Cebu Dairy milk for sale in a shop in fuente area, not exactly certain where but as soon as can remember will post here.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

The family have a full size refrigerator, they had it when I first visited, but it's used mostly to keep water chilled  and to make ice because the semi regular brown outs make keeping food in it a bit of a lottery.  And losing a fridge full of food would hurt their weekly budget badly.  The only milk in the house is powdered.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2