No Thank You Sir.

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

Just want to know what the phrase for something like...

"With respect, i'm not interested."

Need to master that one. Just want a very polite local way of telling someone i really dont need that taxi/perfume/stungun/massssage....

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

mat are you looking for the tagalog translation for that or just a general way to say no thank you ? , myself i just say what you said in you topics title !! NO THANK YOU SIR !!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Just want a very polite local way of telling someone i really dont need that taxi/perfume/stungun/massssage

Salamat or just NO.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
"With respect, i'm not interested."

I don't think there is a phrase like that. If there is then beggars and hawkers will not listen to it. There are only 2 ways that I have seen successful. One is to ignore and patiently wait until they get the message and leave. (Takes a long time). The other is to get real firm/strict and tell them in no uncertain terms to go away. I see many filipinos using the first method and many foreigners using the second.

Since I know they are not going to go away easy then I joke with them about how they are wasting their time waiting for me to change my mind. It does not make them leave any faster or slower but it does make it more enjoyable to pass the time.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I usualy say Indi Salamat or Salamat Gid but wala. (Ilonggo)

• Like 1

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

I'd rather have a hard time and show them respect, they're just trying to make a few bucks. :unsure:

I should i have mentioned though i mean't for a specifically tagalog expression. I have no problem with them trying to sell me things/services, and my past response is just to offer everyone a cigarette and say no thank you. I just wanted to know how to say it in tagalog. :P

I usualy say Indi Salamat or Salamat Gid but wala. (Ilonggo)

OooOo.. Whats this one mean?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

dili lang

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I don't think there is a phrase like that. If there is then beggars and hawkers will not listen to it. There are only 2 ways that I have seen successful. One is to ignore and patiently wait until they get the message and leave. (Takes a long time). The other is to get real firm/strict and tell them in no uncertain terms to go away. I see many filipinos using the first method and many foreigners using the second.

Try telling them to keep away because you are a leper. Works in the Middle East.

• Like 1

S123
Posted
Posted (edited)

Try telling them to keep away because you are a leper. Works in the Middle East.

I lived in India '92-'94, sometimes one had to run fast to get inside the hotel when being approched by beggers with severe leprosy. Edited by S123