Us Taxes After Moving To The Philippines?

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

It's almost year end and it's going to be tax time here in the US.

Now, if one moves to the Philippines, what's the best address to give the IRS so he/she would get all those lovely tax statements for this year and the coming ones?

How is it done?

Also, will there be any difference since one could claim certain things that he/she will be spending in the Philippines?

How are they going to validate that, if possible, any way??

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
what's the best address to give the IRS so he/she would get all those lovely tax statements for this year and the coming ones

Best address.

is one that you can be CERTAIN that your mail will arrive at.PERIOD

either it be a "service"mailing address or one of a TRUSTED family/friend

if your a Veteran consider membership in the local RAO or VFW .as they have mailing services that you can avail of(again previous topics/posts have been dicussed on this)

althou I have no USA reportable income ,and therefore I have no need to file my US texas(taxes),

your best source of info would be

1.the IRS website www.irs.gov www.irs.gov/Spanish also review www.usa.gov

2. consult a US based tax preparer or lawyer

should you file your texas(taxes) on your own, make sure you copy the source of where you obtain your info when you filed your return(s)

last item(s)

Off topic. been said before & be said again

make sure you have EXTRA copies of your IMPORTANT US PAPERS with you or easily accessable should you need them. marriage, divorce,.will.,Military DD214, your FBI record if required(look at past topic on this) and of course your vaccinations up to date

if your leaving for GOOD, perhaps you should put a "freeze" or close access to your Credit file

so no one can access it

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

In the past, when I used to work overseas, I used my friend's address and he would let me know. Now that I am getting the hell outta here, I want something more controlled by me.

Not sure what you meant by "Service Mail Address"? Did you mean a forwarding company? And recommendation?

Also, the last point is good that is, putting a freeze on credit cards! But closing any would negatively affect credit history.

Many thanks!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't know anything about the taxes - I will have to learn soon. But for an address I am looking at https://www.usabox.com a mail forwarding service. You give out this Miami, Florida address and it looks like a regular address, the "apartment" number is your box number. I have not used these guys yet but got the recommendation on this forum.... we shall see.... They offer various services for free or fee.

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Mail from the IRS to me comes to a PO Box I have in the nearby city. I've not had any problems getting mail from them. No real need to get forms such as 1040 etc as these are available online as well as instructions. Pretty efficient website for getting info, albeit general in nature.

I haven't had any paper copies of tax forms sent to me for several years. You can order these online and they will be mailed to you. I have gotten a variety of pubs this way, although they took many weeks to get here. The IRS has not sent me a "packet" for filing for several years. I do recall getting some letter stating that paper copies would no longer be sent.

As far as documents from employers and investments, retirement plans, that sort of thing, some will set you up with a way to get these online. Otherwise, you need to send them your Philippine address or have some sort of mailing service.

Not sure what you refer to about how it's done. If you file for 2012, you will indicate the mailing address on your filing documents like a 1040.

You can get a lot of tax advice from a wide variety of web-based help groups. A heads up though. If you do much google searching for assistance re: living overseas, you may find a lot of the info deals with foreign nationals with tax liabilities to the US. I am assuming you are a US citizen living here now.

Curious comment about claiming things while living here. From what I understand, an audit is an audit. If you have an audit, you'll need to explain whatever sort of deductions you've made in the same way someone stateside would do.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

It's almost year end and it's going to be tax time here in the US.

Now, if one moves to the Philippines, what's the best address to give the IRS so he/she would get all those lovely tax statements for this year and the coming ones?

How is it done?

Also, will there be any difference since one could claim certain things that he/she will be spending in the Philippines?

How are they going to validate that, if possible, any way??

I recommend online tax prep programs like Turbo Tax. As for the IRS validating your expense claims, you should keep in mind that the IRS can file to revoke your passport if you owe tax/penalty in excess of $50k. Note that you don't have to actually owe the tax, the IRS just has to say you do. Once you prove you don't owe or pay your debt, your passport will be restored. Personally, if I was living overseas and required a valid US passport, I wouldn't mess around on my taxes.

• Like 1

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

MikeeW,

Pretty good info!

I was concerned about W2 forms being sent from employer for example. But that seems to be no issue with your advice.

TheMason,

I have been doing my taxes myself for years using Turbo Tax but didn't know how to handle the W2 and other forms so that I would enter them.

As far as reporting false info, I have never done that but was curios as how would the IRS enforce it? If just by showing them invoices (incase of an audit), then anybody could print them 100s of fake invoices? A non enforceable process don't make sense to me? Luckily, I don't claim much.

Many thanks folks!

luke
Posted
Posted

Every year I get a reminder from Citibank PH; (in short)

If you are a USA citizen and have any income from products managed by Citibank PH, you are taxable under US law....

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Every year I get a reminder from Citibank PH; (in short)

If you are a USA citizen and have any income from products managed by Citibank PH, you are taxable under US law....

Actually, we are taxed no matter where and how we make our income!

Isn't this a citizenship tax?? :bash:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

That will teach you Americans to have left us back in '76.... 1776 that is!

Here in Canada, if you move to another country? You are taxed 25% off the top of anything made in Canada. You don't even have to do an Income Tax Return - the government takes it off the top before you even see it! And anything you make outside Canada, you fight it out with the country you made it in. Can life be any easier? Ahhhh!!! :morning1:

Don't blame me! I didn't have nothing to do with the American Revolution! How much are the taxes now?

:mocking: I is suuuuch a baaaaaad bob!

• Like 2