How Much Duty To Send That Thing To The Philippines?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thank you sir ...... I'll have to shut my PeerBlock down in a while to view it ..... it is one site it blocks ....... the Phil Gov. site that is .... :thumbsup:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The PH gov site is only good if you are doing mass shipping. Use the other one.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bob ..... here is what it calculated out to be and was right on the money ...... cost me double what the Magic Jack did when I bought it ...... and they wonder why we have people bring stuff over with them when they come or ship stuff in BB boxes ..... please note there is no duty to pay on it ..... I wonder what it would cost with duty ...... :hystery: :hystery:

post-11-0-57385100-1352421960_thumb.jpeg

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I sent my Special Someone an inexpensive Netbook to help her with her classes. I thought the duty on it was going to kill me.... but it actually cost more to sent the case ($7 Cdn retail) than the netbook ($150 Cdn retail). Go figure!

:mocking:

• 1 year later...
deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Looks like the Government decided to make the process much more transparent now and the customs site now includes a proper tax calculator (even for smaller shipments) and a complete list of duties collected from imports as downloadable files starting from Jan 2014. 

I was pretty blown away by it to be honest as it:

A. Gives you the means to argue your case if you believe you are being overcharged

B. Offers a proper means of duty comparison with similar products

C. Means of updating incorrectly dutied items by means of contacting them (they actively are asking for help with this on the site).  

D. Leaves a pretty decent paper trail - although not all items are documented on the spreadsheets yet. 

Not saying the system is perfect (yet) but certainly looks like a move in the right direction and should give everyone a better picture of the top dollar prices they should be paying. 

Something that is a little confusing to me is the Customs Documentary Stamp and Import processing fee. Is it required for personal shipments or only for items for resale ? 

Edited by deevey
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Has anyone worked out how to send stuff out of the Philippines (at a reasonable cost) to their home countries?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This looks like the one for Commercial trade.  There is another one I used a couple years ago that breaks down the category of the product to determine the duty required.  And that was how I found out that duty on a computer is really next to nothing!  I"ll see if I can find it again later today and I'll post a link to it if I can.

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

This looks like the one for Commercial trade.  There is another one I used a couple years ago that breaks down the category of the product to determine the duty required

Maybe you mean the Executive Order Tarriff Documents which show the correct rates for each item? Vat will remain the same as will the Stamps and processing. 

Heres some more reading on making a manual calculation too 

You can search the ATHN code and Tarrifs charges for items here from the Tarrif commission website or manually searching through these two Annex A & B lists or these ones (press ctrl+f and type the name of the item you are looking for).

It will list the correct Tariffs across the board which can then be entered into the tariff field of the calculator. 

Theres also this calculator here which is essentially the same as the .gov one except you need to enter the dollar rate manually. 

In all cases when you are going to collect items at the post office I'd advise you arm yourself by:

• Printing out the Annex page with the ATHN code of item you are collecting 
  • Screenshot the calculation for the item based on their very own calculator
  • Have your original invoice ready, which should include the shipping price - I was asked for this when I collected some items yesterday as proof.
  • Be prepared to pay the Customs Stamps and Import Processing fees although I think they will only hit you for this if they believe the items are for resale. 

I don't know what the procedure would be if you are dealing with a courier company, they all seem to have their own list of additional charges and rates. 

Edited by deevey

• 2 years later...
Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm in the process of shipping eight boxes of clothing and tools for my own use. Everything is well used and many items over 15yrs old. My boxes are currently held in Hong Kong for forward shipping but already the Philippines customs have tried to hit be with a duty charge of well over £500 sterling. They must have some special superpower to work out the duty rate as each box is just labelled tools and clothes. I've got a feeling it's going to be fun when they arrive in the Philippines.