Immigration Overstay

retired
Posted
Posted

Touchy subject matter so i will speak in generalities . What i thought would be a simple matter of asking turns out not so simple after all . Issue has to do with overstaying as an expat .

Joe sixpack has overstayed and wishes to know the approximate amount of his fees and fines total in order to be legal . Call to local immigration gets nowhere . Joe sixpack has to make personal appearence . Joe sixpack is scared he will be arrested on the spot ( doubtfull ) or at least somehow instegiate an investigation because he is asked to present his passport (possibile ?) . Since immigration wants to see offenders passport Joe six packs buddy can not inquire on his behalf . So , if Joe Sixpack is under severe economic constraints and needs to know how much he would need to remain (or leave) how does he get that information ?

Am only asking the question here because experience has taught that some may know and also because Immigration in one location can be a very different experience than in another location . Just wondering if anyone had ever known someone that went through the process in Cebu as the grapevine says the man in charge there ( Domingo ? ) was fair and honest person to deal with . Don't find on - line Immigration site info easy to sift through but assuming there is a basic formula . But , does the formula change when exceeding first year of overstay ? In other words , does the penalty increase proportionaly as years are added ?

Joe Sixpack is an American . Unfortunately Embassy also requires Joe Sixpack to make personal appearence adding to expense since Joe is not on Luzon . Have known one American that went through the Embassy as voluntary deportation . Was my understandng that Embassy initated filing with Philippine Immigration but that Joe still had to deal with Immigration . Only benefit to Joe was that he would not be jailed while waiting for papers to process . Whch took over a year adding to financial burden . Lost touch with the Joe so don't know any other details . except , that depite deportation that Joe was back in the country legally within 2 years . Don't know how or want to know but makes you wonder .

Any suggestions appreciated .

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I cannot speak about Joe Sixpack but Alan Kangaroo contacted his own member of the legislature down under and explained that he was a bad boy but now had a medical condition where he needed to come home but was worried about the Philippine immigration/emigration officials. In his case the politician pulled some strings to get him a temporary passport and smoother things over with the Philippine BI so that Alan Kangaroo was permitted to leave the country on the condition that he cannot come back until he pays up all the back payments from decades ago. Old Alan won't be back.

• Like 4

TitP
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am by no means an expert on this matter however wouldn't this depend on just how overdue he is and how he is here? I mean, for example, my wife and I are here in balikbayan status, meaning we must leave within 1 year, stay gone for at least a day and return for a new balikbayan stamp in our passport. If we are only a few days or even a couple of weeks over, we were told that we only have to pay a penalty fee of P1650 per person when we do leave, at the airport. I know of a website that has all kinds of questions and answers to passport/visa questions. It's Check it out, maybe you can find your answer there. No since in making a mountain out of a mole hill for Joe Sixpack or anyone else.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
- seems to me you are pushing certain sites

retired
Posted
Posted

I am by no means an expert on this matter however wouldn't this depend on just how overdue he is and how he is here? I mean, for example, my wife and I are here in balikbayan status, meaning we must leave within 1 year, stay gone for at least a day and return for a new balikbayan stamp in our passport. If we are only a few days or even a couple of weeks over, we were told that we only have to pay a penalty fee of P1650 per person when we do leave, at the airport. I know of a website that has all kinds of questions and answers to passport/visa questions. It's Check it out, maybe you can find your answer there. No since in making a mountain out of a mole hill for Joe Sixpack or anyone else.

Appreciate your input and you are right , it will depend on length of overstay . Just trying to determine basic formula they use plus he is not on a balikbayan . So , a molehill can become a mountain . :-)

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

The last time i was in BOI there was a guy who overstayed it was not long but he was raisin all kind of hell he blamed the BOI because they were closed the day he came to renew,, they just wanted the money and for him to go. i know another he was a family friend an Indian national who was here completely illegal he came on a boat so no papers what so ever, he had been in the Philippines for about 5 years, but got busted in Manila he was jailed for about 3 months than deported, after his family spent a lot of money trying to get him legal.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
The last time i was in BOI there was a guy who overstayed it was not long but he was raisin all kind of hell he blamed the BI because they were closed the day he came to renew,

NEVER NEVER NEVER do that either at BI or any government office (pnp.city hall etc)that can BITE you

or you will be BIT $$$$$$$$$ very hard

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
he was raisin all kind of hell he blamed the BOI

That is just plain old stupid! :bash:

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Immigration web site clearly states, " Note: Fine for Overstaying (Additional P 500.00) per month Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying (Additional P 500.00) Legal Research Fee (LRF) of P 10.00

"

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=43

This is under the extension fees listings. Now if there is an excessive amount of time involved JOE may come upon other issues. This is the minimum to expect though. These fees are IN ADDITION to paying the normal extension fees if they were obtained.

It will add up REAL QUICK. Joe's wallet better fatten up. :no: Joe may want to get a canoe and paddle for it!!! :hystery:

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

If ya cant afford all the penalties there is always the fishing boat route to malaysia lol

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
he was raisin all kind of hell he blamed the BOI

That is just plain old stupid! :bash:

I"ll say! He was at the Bureau of Immigration (BI), not the Board of Investments (BOI)...

Sorry - just couldn't resist! :mocking: