Looking For Details About Positive Tb Result?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

By any chance does someone here know the details of coming up positive on TB culture and the pursuing treatment? I've read a LOT (a couple of other sites) and understand the big picture. What I am looking for is the finer points about living in Manila temporarily. This is for both inside St. Lukes' and living in Manila. I've lived in Cebu City for 8 months so I have the basics covered.

Got the call to go back to St. Lukes. No further details of finding, except positive, until Tuesday. When others have gone this route it seems they stop sharing information about their experience. Does anyone have tips, tricks and pitfall information on going for treatment.

We live in Cebu City and expect that we will have to stay in Manila. We have tentative arrangements for an apartment, just 1 jeepney ride from St. Lukes, if that is the case. We are starving for information at this time so if you have some experiences... please share here or in PM.

THANKS. biggrin.png

brock
Posted
Posted

I contracted TB when I was 21 years old, My lungs were shot to pieces, I was confined to a private room in hospital for about 9 months, With daily injections and tablets, after leaving hospital i was on tablets daily for about 1 year. your lungs will be scarred for life, I was diagnosed with having lung cancer 3 years ago because some idiot saw the scars on my lungs and told me I had lung cancer, But they were wrong....Try not to worry too much because the treatment is much better nowadays.

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

Forgot to tell you that treatment for a Filipino citizen is free...you will get tablets called Refampecin and after about 3 months you will need to undergo a sputum test and then you will continue with the tablets for a further 3 months...

Hope this gives you some idea.

• Like 3

tiger31
Posted
Posted

what are the syptoms like ?

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing brock, and sorry for your troubles. I bet that confinement was mental torture. I hope that part of my worries are a waste of time. There are no symptoms so she is probably just a carrier/inactive. Treatment will range from 2-6, possibly up to 12 months. Better to get it eradicated now!!! So, we are glad that they do the screening. We will know more on Tuesday.

We also have the advantage of me living here in the Philippines. I am not waiting in the USA for my fiancee; we have already started our life together. We will adjust with just a little pain to continuing life here as opposed to inside the USA for now.

Our trouble spot is trying to plan for the unknown. St. Luke's hospital will require "observed" treatment. That means they will watch her take the medicine. What they don't tell you is how it will affect your life to move close by and all the issues that may arise from it. I just visited Manila and NEVER EVER want to live there, especially in that area around St. Luke's. But I'll do what I have to do to stay with my Filipina, keep her healthy & keep her happy. This is why I am looking for someone who has been there and done that regarding St. Luke's treatment.

I've posted on another site that specializes in the subject of visas and the medical process from the Philippines to USA. Maybe someone there will share, but I thought I'd try here also. Waiting is painful, but as of now we are waiting for Tuesday to hopefully get more information. So far WE are LESS than impressed with the amount of information they provide at St. Luke's.

I have looked and found ZERO information on the levels of infection or percentage of positive results that come up during the physical. Guess they don't really matter now, but when they saw the scarring on the x-ray it would have been nice to get some numbers. Her smear was negative so the culture positive really set us back.

I am also moving money around so that there are no issues for unforeseen expenses. There are always THOSE. :hystery:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Besides what I told in your other topic about TB, I only know this:

/TB is very contagious. I believe through bed clothes and such too. (At least they even burned such before antibiotics were invented.) But only 1/3 of the bacteria carriers get ill. Before antibiotic died around 50% of them who got ill, but nowadays antibiotics normaly stop the illness if treat proper.

/Vaccination is far from protecting fully so you better check yourself too (=skin test) now and then after being that close. The protection is rather good for vaccinated CHILDREN, while grownups get much reduced protection, max 80 % to can even become down to 0.

I have been told DON'T get a new vaccination as grown up, because low protection anyway, and MAKE IT HARD TO SEE IF GET ILL. (=Skin test become "positive" both for vaccinated, carriers and ill.)

/Making diagnose is HARD. EASY to make the skin test, but hard to see difference between bacteria carrier and ill in the beginning of the illness before lung damages can be seen at xray.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

To be honest Greg, I loved my time in Hospital, I got off with a nurse while I was there.

Symtoms are coughing, sweating, weight loss,low grade fever, Loss of apetite, maybe some vomiting,maybe even blood in your spit, It is transmitted through the air, Be aware if your taxi driver is coughing....if you are in the same room with someone who has it, You can catch it,,,, You can catch it through sharing the same utensils, ie, cups, spoons, glasses etc.

My missus is a nurse, She says their is no need for observation by the hospital, It is treatable at home, Just take medicine as perscribed. She says their are 2 or 3 medicines that will be available, and she might get some discolouration in her water, Even in her tears.. and not to worry about it, Also her hygene and surroundings play an important part in her recovery.

Maybe the hospital want her there because they have seen you in the background ?...Money ?, But she says absolutely no need .

Edited by brock
  • Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

To be honest Greg, I loved my time in Hospital, I got off with a nurse while I was there.

Symtoms are coughing, sweating, weight loss,low grade fever, Loss of apetite, maybe some vomiting,maybe even blood in your spit, It is transmitted through the air, Be aware if your taxi driver is coughing....if you are in the same room with someone who has it, You can catch it,,,, You can catch it through sharing the same utensils, ie, cups, spoons, glasses etc.

My missus is a nurse, She says their is no need for observation by the hospital, It is treatable at home, Just take medicine as perscribed. She says their are 2 or 3 medicines that will be available, and she might get some discolouration in her water, Even in her tears.. and not to worry about it, Also her hygene and surroundings play an important part in her recovery.

Maybe the hospital want her there because they have seen you in the background ?...Money ?, But she says absolutely no need .

Good information.

But concerning the part I made red, I have heared the Philippines do same odd with poor (=having to go to hospital EVERY DAY to get FREE treatment and meds) so many poor can't afford to GO/BE there for a compleete treatment :(

(A brother to a rather poor Filipina I knew got much ill in TB, when he was in Manila with the WORKING part of the family. They couldn't afford to skip work to follow the brother to hospital every day, so he couldn't go there that often, but lucky they could afford to buy the med...)

Edited by Thomas

GregZ
Posted
Posted
My missus is a nurse, She says their is no need for observation by the hospital, It is treatable at home, Just take medicine as perscribed. She says their are 2 or 3 medicines that will be available, and she might get some discolouration in her water, Even in her tears.. and not to worry about it,

Thanks brock & Thomas for the info... a few things that I have not run across in my reading.... Like the discoloration... and yes, I will get checked myself. :541:

About the observation: US government requirement. The treatment is already paid for I believe as part of the physical to enter USA and via Philippine health programs. Philippines wants people cured when they find them. The USA won't let you in unless you have DOT - Directly Observed Treatment, then test negative. After entry to the USA she will have to be RE-CHECKED to ensure clear. Geeeeeessss! All good though. I want my baby healthy for a LONG TIME. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Brock, you're my hero for today! Them Brits, gotta love them.....he, he.

• Like 1