Where To Find Notary Public Services

Mike S
Posted
Posted
My girl tells me that those ones on Colon Street are not 'real' certified notaries and that they will make you any kind of certificate you want also.

Interesting ... we used them to notarize several Philippine Government documents before giving them back to the Government offices they came from with no problem what so ever ...... to each his own ..... if you feel safer go for it ..... you can also get one notarized in the US Councillors office here in Cebu but it is a whole lot more expensive but then it is guaranteed to be authentic ....... :cheersty:

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the great input... Maybe I will try the Colon route or something else "creative". All I need is the notary to show that it is me signing the document. I surely do not want a discussion over what I am doing.

Cost in USA = free via the county clerk's office. Good grief! I was supposed to land in the US on 14 Dec... but with a delay until next October it cannot wait. And *whining* all these expenses of moving to Manila for 6 months are KiLLinG me. Hope some relief is coming in 2013 sometime. :buttkick:

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Canada it is a lot more involved than in the US and sounds like it is more like in the Philippines. The last time I needed to use a Notary Public, I ended up spending 30 minutes with a lawyer who was qualified as such doing an interview (and with him keeping notes) to satisfy that I was who I said I was and was doing what I said I was doing on the paperwork to be so stamped. And, yeah,it cost me almost $200. So the Philippine method with a lawyer sounds about the same to me.

Looks like Canada is not perfect either. Why so much money just to sign and stamp a document? Greedy b@ss turds is the only answer I can think of.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In Canada it is a lot more involved than in the US and sounds like it is more like in the Philippines. The last time I needed to use a Notary Public, I ended up spending 30 minutes with a lawyer who was qualified as such doing an interview (and with him keeping notes) to satisfy that I was who I said I was and was doing what I said I was doing on the paperwork to be so stamped. And, yeah,it cost me almost $200. So the Philippine method with a lawyer sounds about the same to me.

Looks like Canada is not perfect either. Why so much money just to sign and stamp a document? Greedy b@ss turds is the only answer I can think of.

Because in Canada, most Notary Public are also lawyers or other high priced professionals. Ya gotta pay their fees... There is also a very big penalty to them if they can't vouch for what they are signing for - not just the signature but that the information supplied in the form they are notarizing is also complete and correct.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

In Australia the most common and free are Justice of the peace who are often pharmacist or a post office employee. Why did I tell you this? don't know just came to mind. :morning1:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Because in Canada, most Notary Public are also lawyers or other high priced professionals.

Only in your part of Canada it seems. In the west, every bank and real estate agent and housewife is or has a notary seal and can do it cheap.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Because in Canada, most Notary Public are also lawyers or other high priced professionals.

Only in your part of Canada it seems. In the west, every bank and real estate agent and housewife is or has a notary sealand can do it cheap.

You're right. I forgot that Notary Public - though a country-wide function, could be modified by each province. I am more familiar with Nova Scotia's where there are Notary Public and Commissioner of Oaths. A barrister is automatically a Commissioner of Oaths but must obtain the Notary Public separately as a different office. And it is still quite extensive what they are responsible for.

Markham
Posted
Posted

Unlike the UK, US, Canada, Australia etc., the Philippines is not a signatory to the Hague Convention which means that notarisation here (by a Philippine Notary) may not be recognised and have no legal bearing outside the country regardless of whether it bears a Notorial embossing or not.

If you have a document requiring Notarisation and it is to have legal significance in your country, you should take it to your Embassy or Consulate. If you're British - or, I believe, a Commonwealth citizen - and in Cebu, Mrs Moya Jackson, the UK's Honorary Consul, can undertake that task for a fee; Americans should go to the Consulate at the Waterfront Hotel. The same holds true for documents that need to be sworn.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
have no legal bearing outside the country

Fortunately the average accountant or paper pusher in our home countries does not know that. Otherwise I would have had a very miserable time the first few years here when I got many many papers notarized and sent back via LBC. Back home they just look at the notary seal and figure it must be legal. Lets not tell them otherwise :rolleyes:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Did you know you can buy your own stamp off the internet? They are on there constantly! Just be careful - I understand that a lot of them are a little faulty and your stamp may say "Notary Pubic"!

:mocking:

• Like 3