Where To Find Notary Public Services

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I need a notary public to sign a paper I am sending back to the USA. Where do I find one in CEBU CITY? I see them advertise on Sulit for 25 pesos, but that is in Manila. I like the price in the USA even better though... FREE :christmas_emoticons_187:

The document will be sent via scan & email, so I don't believe a raised seal is required. This is for a letter that I am sending to a US government service agency. I don't think they are REAL picky, just want to be pretty sure they are getting authorization from me for an action.

Here's hoping that this will generate answers instead of questions. :28:

Questions :welcome-19:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just go to downtown Colon they are every where with their little ink stamp ..... next to lawyers they are the most prevalent sitting along side the streets ... I have never seen a raised seal here .... more like a little ink stamp ..... used to be some in front of the health department but not sure if they are still there ....

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have never seen a raised seal here
If you mean the pressure indented notarizing seal that a lawyer uses then I know where one is but I guess he does not need that seal.
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I need a notary public to sign a paper I am sending back to the USA. Where do I find one

Greg, The Halls of Justice have Notaries, usually found in the City or Provincial Prosecutors offices. I have used them in the past and they are not that expensive.

:tiphat:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
This is for a letter that I am sending to a US government service agency.

Make sure a local notary public is acceptable to the US government service agency. We encounter this problem all the time for USA real estate transactions. If the Buyer or Seller is out-of-country, they have to sign the documents in the presence of a US Consulate officer. If local notary public is okay, most commercial banks have one or more employees for this. Just ask the security guard or a customer representative.

• Like 5

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Just go to downtown Colon they are every where with their little ink stamp ..... next to lawyers they are the most prevalent sitting along side the streets ... I have never seen a raised seal here .... more like a little ink stamp ..... used to be some in front of the health department but not sure if they are still there ....

My girl tells me that those ones on Colon Street are not 'real' certified notaries and that they will make you any kind of certificate you want also. Thanks but I'll stick with the other 2 suggestions... banks and government offices at least will make me feel more like it might get accepted. :tiphat:

I'm going with one of them and sending it to the US without telling them anything and see what happens. For sure if I ask they will say, "No." Better to ask forgiveness than permission!!! Learned that one from the military. :hystery:

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

Last year I went to the Bank of the Philippine Islands to get a document notarized. A bank employee told me that they don't have a notary and I would have to go to a lawyer to get something notarized. Since then I have had several documents notarized at three different lawyer's offices. All three of them have a raised seal.

Getting a document notarized in America is very cheap or even free but in the Philippines it can be expensive. A lawyer charged me 2,000 pesos to notarize my divorce papers from America and justified the charge by saying she had to notarize it in three places.

In America the purpose of notarizing a document is to verify that the person signing the document is in fact that person. In other words the notary only checks your ID before notarizing your document. In the Philippines the notary will probably read your document and then discuss it with you. For example, the lawyer read my divorce papers and then wanted to discuss my marriage and why I was getting a divorce. I should have told the noisy bitch to mind her own business.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In Canada it is a lot more involved than in the US and sounds like it is more like in the Philippines. The last time I needed to use a Notary Public, I ended up spending 30 minutes with a lawyer who was qualified as such doing an interview (and with him keeping notes) to satisfy that I was who I said I was and was doing what I said I was doing on the paperwork to be so stamped. And, yeah,it cost me almost $200. So the Philippine method with a lawyer sounds about the same to me.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

When we were in Metro Manila and needed a document notarized, we just headed for the nearest city hall. The document bore the raised seal, and from what I remember, cost around 500 pesos.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have had many documents notarized by lawyers near Liloan and Consolacion. One of them charged 500 to notarize the whole document. Another charged 500 per page. (Same document. I used to have to get it notarized every year.) So it pays to shop around as there is some flexibility.

• Like 3