Kookel's Beerinated Roasted Chicken

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

"WE WANTED to prove that beer isn't just for drinking, but can make a difference in food preparation."

This, according to Norman de Cagalitan, San Miguel Brewery-Mindanao sales supervisor, as he boasts of their partnership with Kookel's, a chain of "lechon manok" outlets in Davao City in a bid to offer a new taste of roasted chicken to Dabawenyo diners.

"We are the leading beer brand and we partnered with the leading lechon house in the city to come up with the 'beerinated' roasted chicken," Cagalitan said during a media launch at Kookel's Restaurant in Bangkal, Davao City.

True enough, the beerinated lechon manok tastes different from the original one -- it's tastier and the meat becomes juicier and more tender.

Using the Lemon-flavored San Miguel Beer product, the whole dressed chicken is marinated overnight including other ingredients.

"When the chicken is roasted, it has a different smell as compared to the original lechon manok, maybe because of the lemon-content of the beer," said Maritess Nartatez who owns Kookel's. "Those who have tasted said are also one in saying that the chicken meat becomes more tender, as if it just melts in your mouth."

She said the common perception is that when you mixed beer in food preparation, it becomes alcoholic.

"Dami nagsasabi baka daw malasing sila," she said.

But on the contrary, Cagalitan said that during the cooking process, the beer's alcohol content evaporates, leaving the lemon taste stuck in the meat," he said.

"Hindi siya makakalasing. And it's a food that can bve prepared for the whole family, kids or adults," he added.

Nartatez said since they started offering the "beerinated" roasted chicken in their Bangkal restaurant in Ocotber, they have increased their monthly sales by 10-20 percent.

"Those who have tried it keep on coming back," she said.

She said the "beerinated" product will soon be offered in Kookel's 14 other outlets all over Davao City and the nearby Island Garden City of Samal.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've been cooking chicken in beer for years. Sometimes I marinate. Other times I do the beer can up the butt trick - especially on the barbecue! Either way it comes out tasting great! It's good to see a commercially available beer chicken!

:dance:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A variation is marinate the chicken overnight in beer and miso (Japanese soup paste). You bake the entire chicken or chicken parts. The requirement is six beers. One for the chicken and five for the chef.

• Like 1