How Old Were You Guys When You Settled Down In The Philippines & Why?

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Well I'm just curious, I'm sure I am on the younger side of most who decide to settle down over here but would definitely like to be proved wrong!

FYI, I am 37 but having worked in the USA for the last 13 years we decided to come back here to our home of 9 years to try and settle down as a pose to the good old UK.....we'll see how it goes!

Or when do you plan on settling down??

• Like 5

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Ah, yeah... maybe I should mention that killing your parents to get an early inheritance is NOT a good idea! Make it or marry it is a better idea.... but money is the needed catyalyst to get your moving.

Ahhh, sh&t too late!!

Dont get me wrong, I dont care if most guys are older I'm just wondering around what age most decide to make their move as I believe I have moved very early in life.

I totally agree with you on the money aspect of the post as Im not the smartest tool in the shed either & the monthly checks just finished coming in by the way. I still have my business and for now things are all bright but Im definitely a realist & am aware that things can change quickly but thats the same wherever we are.... So for now I will go with the flow!!! :0)

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I'm 48. Moving as soon as we can close on this damn house.... it just won't sell fast enough ha ha. I have a monthly check coming in. It is not enough to hedge for inflation but in 6 years I can get retirement from one job, then 5 years later retirement from another job, then maybe Social Security a couple years after that. So I am not too worried about inflation.

I am certainly not the youngest but I am going 10 years earlier than I had planned.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm 54 at the moment (very short moment) but I decided last year the Philippines was my target destination to retire to. I have been looking and researching for about 6 years on where to go and, if I had decided sooner, I may have gone there already. If I was really smart and had not gotten married in the first place (where I had 3 wonderful kids), I wouldn't of had to pay child support after I retired at 35 and could have moved to the Phils then - if I had any brains!

:mocking:

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
You are looking at it from the wrong angle. It is not so much how old 'we' are but instead, how smart (they) were (not me!) to be able to have a never ending monthly check of sufficent funds to live WELL. Very important that term.... WELL.

Sure that's more convinient, if can solve it, but it also make less can move before retirement age,

I know some have managed to earn their living by starting own business in the Philippines. I HOPE :) I will manage it too.

(Call center/outsorsing services, own websites, refining farming products. They earn enough.

Several have small shops, food, resorts or such. I don't know if any of these later earn enough to live well, but at least 2 of them earn interesting money.)

I'm 48. Moving as soon as we can close on this damn house.... it just won't sell fast enough ha ha. I have a monthly check coming in. It is not enough to hedge for inflation but in 6 years I can get retirement from one job, then 5 years later retirement from another job, then maybe Social Security a couple years after that. So I am not too worried about inflation.

I am certainly not the youngest but I am going 10 years earlier than I had planned.

There are not much Social Security pay in the Philippines :)

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I mean my U.S. Social Security... but that is still not much ha ha

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

We can discuss how to make money in other posts... Let's keep this one on track of how old we were (or will be) when we settled in the Philippines!

• Like 3