Buying A Car

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I'm starting a hunt for a car in the Subic area, but initially from a distance.    I need to buy at the beginning of April, ideally.

I would prefer to not buy new but finding a good used car that you can trust is very hard, especially if you are starting from a distance.  It is also nice that they take care of 3 years LTO, and I think I saw some promos including 3 years insurance too.  I have browsed some of the dealer ads on Sulit and some of the small cars might be reasonable when new, but of course I have to be aware of "bait and switch" tactics from dealers.  If I buy new I would plan to keep it a long time.  I would like to get a diesel to save costs.

In Subic, there are a lot of newer cars so you really don't stick out too much.   However, as Mike S. said, it is better to keep a low profile, and that is especially true when I leave the Freeport Zone.  If I buy a new car I will scratch it up and put some dents in it, so I fit in better!    :hystery:

One other note.  My new landlord says that 100% of used cars have the mileage dialed back.  Is that an extreme statement or???  It seems that on the newer cars this is more difficult to do, but I guess if you can hack the computer it would be easy.

If anyone could help with any of the following, it is greatly appreciated!

1.  Has anyone had a good experience at a dealer in the Subic area, including Angeles and San Fernando?  If so, can you share the name and / or sales person name?

2.  In the US, paying cash is often not encouraged by dealers because they make a lot of money on financing.  Is it the same in Phils?

3.  As per another thread, what are the dealer requirements for a foreigner to get financing, especially if they are on a tourist visa?

4.  Do I need to get my Phils driver's license BEFORE I can buy at a dealer?

5.  Does anyone know a trusted mechanic in the Subic Bay area who could look at some cars with me?  Of course, I would compensate them.

6.  If anyone knows of good used cars for sale in the Subic Bay area, please let me know!

Thanks!

Don

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have never tried the car or financing for me. But I have bought maybe 7 new motorcycles and I simply put them in Pam's name and got the 3 month financing and then send  over money to pay them off.

Remember that unlike the US, there IS a prepayment penalty. In the US, I qualify for 0% interest.... now... but when I didn't, I used to get the LONGEST term possible and then made double and triple payments to pay it off years early. In Phils, you take 36 months.. you pay 36 payments and ALL the interest even if you make double or triple payments and pay it off in 1 year, you still pay for 3 years interest. 

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

All I know is that if you pay cash you should get a discount, cash is always king in the Philippines!

Financing is better to be done through your partner, I dont know the ins and outs of the financing but ill ask the wife when she gets home so maybe I can give you a better answer as to that one as we are currently looking at buying a new car. Maybe then I can also answer the other thread who was asking about financing.

• Like 3

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Don,

My friend Ted financed his KIA and I also believe he paid it off early.  He is in Canada until the 12th of this month but if you still have his number you can call him when he gest back.  If you need his number just text me and I will send it to you. 

Also I sent you a PM about an SUV

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

One other note.  My new landlord says that 100% of used cars have the mileage dialed back.  Is that an extreme statement or???

I think extreme, maybe be only 97%  :D

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

My new landlord says that 100% of used cars have the mileage dialed back.  Is that an extreme statement or???

Exaggerated, how would he (or she) know that? The best way to protect yourself is hire a trusted mechanic. He can examine the car and determine if the mileage is accurate or if it's been in an accident or flood; very possible in Luzon. It took me several months and a lot of frustration but I found what I was looking for, thanks to the mechanic. Negotiate only with the registered owner. There is a cottage industry of people who sell cars for owners; the more middlemen between you and the owner, the more you pay. You can verify the year/model/registration and if there are any LTO alarms by texting "LTO VEHICLE <License plate #>" to 2600. I think I saw every scam in the world when I was looking.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey future Tennis Partner (Don - OnMyWay),

Here's an alternative for your next family vehicle.  The internal link below was my experience back 

in 1993 when I purchased a Jeep Wrangler made in PI.  The terms of the loan from a local bank via

Judy's sister was 50% down and 3 years to pay.  I don't remember the exact interest rate, perhaps

20% as we write monthly US checks to her sister.  

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/13209-cheap-multicab/#entry73690

I was totally blown away how the locals can reverse engineer or copy a body style of your choice.

That mini-Hummer is still my choice whenever I get back.

Good luck Don!

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Here's an alternative for your next family vehicle.  The internal link below was my experience back 

in 1993 when I purchased a Jeep Wrangler made in PI.  The terms of the loan from a local bank via

Judy's sister was 50% down and 3 years to pay.  I don't remember the exact interest rate, perhaps

I was totally blown away how the locals can reverse engineer or copy a body style of your choice.

Good luck Don!

I wonder what it would cost to get the Jeep done today?  

Jake
Posted
Posted

Good luck Don!

I wonder what it would cost to get the Jeep done today?  

Good question!  I would imagine a newly assembled Wrangler (similar to Sahara model) would be still

be less than $10K or 400K pesos.  By the way, the retail price for a 2013 Sahara in the States starts

at $26K.  

I'm sorry if I remain bias in favor of vehicles assembled in the Philippines.  I just like the idea that I can

visit and observe the assembly process (about a couple months).  You also get to know most of the

mechanics and they get to know you when you pick up the tab for a boys night out.....he, he.  Of course

they produced quality workmanship and I was pleased that little four banger got me out of trouble during

monsoon season in Mindoro.  I never had so much fun playing out in the torrential rain and mud.  

I would definitely get another one assembled......next time will be a mini-Hummer style body. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was thinking the same thing - 4wd to keep me out of trouble on the back roads during bad weather plus I can take the top off when it's too hot and let the wind blow through my.... oh, yeah...  I imagine a person could get both hard and soft tops.  Do they put air conditioning in also?