Crime Comparisons

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

With all the robberies, thefts, and murders reported here of the expats living in the Philippines and talked about here on the forum, it got me thinking.  :89: Yesterday while working I heard a reported robbery with a gun involved where the victim was assaulted and cash and a jacket was taken.  He was not shot and received only minor injures. 
Without asking someone to pull all our stats from the records department, I check a local news web page linked below.   Of course this could be any city across the USA.
The county where I work has a population of about 149,000 +/- and the major city has a population of of 39,000 +/- along with about 6 other small towns.  If you look at the link below and compare the news with what I read in the Philippines, it doesn't seem much different to me.  As I said before, I feel safer in the provinces when we vacation there.  Even the city, I feel okay, but most of my time in the city is in malls or offices, not roaming the streets.   My wife tries to keep in after dark when in the Manila.

Anyway, just some food for thought or comparing.
Hope the link works
danny

http://www.herald-mail.com/topic/crime-law-justice/crimes/theft/02001003.topic

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
fixed link
  • Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When you consider that the population of Cebu is just a bit bigger than Los Angeles with just over 3.85 million and Metro Manila is around 12 million, the amount and nature of crime that we hear about is actually not that bad.  

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

When you consider that the population of Cebu is just a bit bigger than Los Angeles with just over 3.85 million and Metro Manila is around 12 million, the amount and nature of crime that we hear about is actually not that bad.  

That's correct Bob.  Exactly the point I was making.  For small towns here in the USA it appears the rate is higher when reading the papers or listening to news reports.  But maybe in the Philippines, those lesser crimes are not reported in the news or even to the police. 

I'm about an hour from the larger cities of Baltimore and Washington DC and the crimes we now see are happining with the frequency of those larger cities of 30+ years ago. Today it seems there are none of those small peacful towns left.   So, the crimes in Manila seem little different to me and maybe lesser.

danny

• Like 4

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Simple law of numbers. The more people the more there is an appearance of crime out of control. Thank the news media for that as well.

• Like 5

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

but for those of us from countries like the UK they are disturbingly high.

Very Very High

I live in what is regarded as a violent city, But it is nothing compared to Any City in the Philippines

Edited by brock
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
ronhextal
Posted
Posted

the amount and nature of crime that we hear about is actually not that bad. 

You only hear of a small percentage here in philippines, don't forget that information/data here is like the plague, holding it into the memory or exchanging it, is a task that hurts filipinos....

I average this 1/3.... you hear a 1/3 of what's happening, you get 1/3 of what ever question you ask, schedule takes 3/1 to be achieved. you see, what happens is that ratio is a perfect slavery ratio! Welcome to Philippines!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

the amount and nature of crime that we hear about is actually not that bad. 

You only hear of a small percentage here in philippines, don't forget that information/data here is like the plague, holding it into the memory or exchanging it, is a task that hurts filipinos....

I average this 1/3.... you hear a 1/3 of what's happening, you get 1/3 of what ever question you ask, schedule takes 3/1 to be achieved. you see, what happens is that ratio is a perfect slavery ratio! Welcome to Philippines!

Let's see...  Manila has a population of how many million and how many reporters to cover this?  Cebu?  Same problems,  Now, in any country, not all that happens will be placed in the news.  Some is held back so that the police can take a better tack at capturing the guilty parties.  Other times it may be something that could compromise state secrets.  You should have seen this in your home country if you were observant at all.  And you will find this in every country.  As for your slavery comments?  I find these to be very insulting and disgusting. Please stop with the insults and tone it down some.

• Like 3

ronhextal
Posted
Posted

"1/3 slavery ratio" was purely semantics, which is the tone of this particular tread, but again if i warn you of my non-censored intention, don't take what i say as an insult and look at it as semantic(otherwise there is no point in warning you), so that we can actually find common ground. (i say "slavery" when the ratio is design to leave the least amount of wealth possible for the working class to survive)

The reason why i aproach this in a "in-your-face" approach is that so far that tread showed:

- the ever so empty argument(if you don't like it don't come here...  i was born on this plannet, peer-pressuring me, is not really "the righteous ways", is it!)

- the USA comparison... Baltimore, seriously!  (i know american standards are preffered here but i think that by comparing America, which is the worst-off in term of crime in the western world is screwing up the numbers or showing lacking of knowledge/data on the reality around the world.

- the "In many country" argument, (that i so disagree about)*

*if this text doesn't insult you, and if you wish to elaborate on the "Many countries" that are like the Philippines, i would love to hear about them, because based on places i've been, I claim this is not true and if i want to speculatively compare...I would classify philippines as african-level country with latino-like culture&society.(mexico is still my favority country of all, btw.

My "many countries" (china-thailand-philippines-spain-england-mexico-usa-canda... and that's only the one i lived in) i believe philippines is last on all counts (i give thailand the tourism too, they have less of it but they manage it better)

P.S. You were asking  about my bitterness... it might comes from that "Latino vs pinoy" expectation...That i came here exppecting a society like mexico and instead i got served Asian-morals, with african finance, whilst the latino top quality is that: if you are latino, you are family and the Filipino version of it is that: if you are family we'll excuse anything and if you are not family you are expendable(CRIME, guns etc)... see how it's all connects....one can't see the extent of my rethoric if one gets insulted, but once past it, a world of logic and real data should be unveiled.

make sense? or is it still to much for this forum? you tell me?
;-)