Crime Comparisons

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

The crime in the Philippines is probably normal, the problem is that the amount of people arrested and charged for murders of foreigners must be nearly ZERO as I have never read of one arrest yet. That is where it is just not normal in any way! Something is seriously wrong!!!!

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The crime in the Philippines is probably normal, the problem is that the amount of people arrested and charged for murders of foreigners must be nearly ZERO as I have never read of one arrest yet. That is where it is just not normal in any way! Something is seriously wrong!!!!

I never really thought of it before but I don't remember seeing many reports on convictions for anybody in the news...  Not for murder at least....

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Quote from Australian Shooter Magazine:

"If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington, DC is 806 per 100,000 for the same period.

That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion:Americans should stay out of Washington!

Edited by Curley
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

"1/3 slavery ratio" was purely semantics, which is the tone of this particular tread, but again if i warn you of my non-censored intention, don't take what i say as an insult and look at it as semantic(otherwise there is no point in warning you), so that we can actually find common ground. (i say "slavery" when the ratio is design to leave the least amount of wealth possible for the working class to survive)

The reason why i aproach this in a "in-your-face" approach is that so far that tread showed:

- the ever so empty argument(if you don't like it don't come here...  i was born on this plannet, peer-pressuring me, is not really "the righteous ways", is it!)

- the USA comparison... Baltimore, seriously!  (i know american standards are preffered here but i think that by comparing America, which is the worst-off in term of crime in the western world is screwing up the numbers or showing lacking of knowledge/data on the reality around the world.

- the "In many country" argument, (that i so disagree about)*

*if this text doesn't insult you, and if you wish to elaborate on the "Many countries" that are like the Philippines, i would love to hear about them, because based on places i've been, I claim this is not true and if i want to speculatively compare...I would classify philippines as african-level country with latino-like culture&society.(mexico is still my favority country of all, btw.

My "many countries" (china-thailand-philippines-spain-england-mexico-usa-canda... and that's only the one i lived in) i believe philippines is last on all counts (i give thailand the tourism too, they have less of it but they manage it better)

P.S. You were asking  about my bitterness... it might comes from that "Latino vs pinoy" expectation...That i came here exppecting a society like mexico and instead i got served Asian-morals, with african finance, whilst the latino top quality is that: if you are latino, you are family and the Filipino version of it is that: if you are family we'll excuse anything and if you are not family you are expendable(CRIME, guns etc)... see how it's all connects....one can't see the extent of my rethoric if one gets insulted, but once past it, a world of logic and real data should be unveiled.

make sense? or is it still to much for this forum? you tell me?

;-)

Why did you go to the Philippines if all you are going to do is bad mouth the country and her people? Sure there, is crime in the Philippines. There is crime in every nation and country on this planet, its nothing new. Comparing Filipino family values to those of Latinos and making light of Asian morals sounds like you came here with an agenda that you couldn't quite pull off. I think you should sit down and re-evaluate yourself and your morals before you try and judge others.

• Like 4

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
I don't know if a survey like that could ever be done.

I don't think that there is a survey for that, but then again I don't know Jack when it comes to something like that. I'm not very fluent in statistics....way too much math involved :bash: :89:

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Quote from Australian Shooter Magazine:

"If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington, DC is 806 per 100,000 for the same period.

That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion:Americans should stay out of Washington!

You know, you're right? I've been to D.C., boy what a zoo! They might have the strictest gun laws in the country but what's the use of having those strict rules and regulations if you can't, won't or don't enforce them. But that is a discussion for another subject, its time that I sat down and read a little bit more of my prospective host country. Teach on my fellow expats, I need the education :morning1: :thumbsup: :tiphat: :photo-109:

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Jake
Posted
Posted

Having spent long stretches in the Philippines over the last 25 years, it is my opinion that the crime rate(reported and unreported) is proportionately no different than the city I grew up in. Houston Texas. Everyplace of any size has a "bad side of the tracks", and prudence requires that these places are best avoided.          

Most crimes,except fp personal grudges, and vigilante stuff, are crimes of opportunity. Desperate people who want quick cash. The drug culture in the Phils, is no different than London, Houston, or Madrid, Mexico City, etc. Methods for feeding the "habit", are still similar. The "dossier" of a Dallas crackhead is no different than one of a Manila shabu user. The bottom line, I think, is dont get drunk,mouthy,or disrespectful. You will find someone willing to challenge you, if this is your behaviour. I never wear watches,rings,or carry cameras, and keep only small amounts of cash visable during exchanges. When the sun goes down.....I go home.                                                                                                                                                                    

Hello TxPinoy,

Apologize for the delay in approving your post.  By the way, I deleted your two duplicate posts.

Even when you gain full member status, it takes several seconds before you see your post pop

up on the forum.  

You have extensive knowledge and experience and we will welcome your comments and advice.

Your comparison about global crime is a head shot bull eyes!

Welcome aboard sir -- Jake

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I say that people who did not live in Australia or New Zealand, don't understand it, you may not believe me, so let's get this straight once for all:

The US AND the Philippines have nearly the same REPORTED omicides. Unreported...that's another story, but I can guarantee you all that as far as the Australian and New Zealand figures, there are no differences between reported and unreported.

800px-Map_of_world_by_intentional_homici

So it appears that Oceania is still the safest corner of the planet...except maybe little spots such as Fiji.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate (click the tab below to make it bigger)

icTwLE3xSyWI1.jpg

Edited by wallaby

Americano
Posted
Posted

Crime statistics may be interesting to study but only one crime is too many when you are the victim. That's why everyone should learn how to prevent from being a victim and practice what you learned at all times. Regardless of where you live you need to make yourself a hard target. Most criminals go after the easy targets.

• Like 2