Crime Comparisons

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It seems some people forget - you do something stupid in the wrong place and the wrong time and you will become a statistic.  And unfortunately there are some people in the Philippines who tend to do just that.  Same as in every other country.  

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

Of course everyone has a right to there own opinion, however its clear to me that acts of crime up to and including murder against foreigners is on the increase, that in it self I accept,and can understand others when they try to compare statistics from there own or other countries to somehow justify or play down that increase, however as i have said in earlier posts, the biggest concern is how the law deals with such crime here in the Philippines, the answer seems to be they ignore it, crime against a foreigner is rarely solved in many cases not even investigated. so even if you do want to believe that the crime here has increased at the same statistical rate as a similar country, it doesn't undo the reality of crimes against foreigners being to a large part ignored, you could of course argue locals also have crimes committed against them ignored, but doesn't that further prove that the law enforcement here at every level is a poor relative to the countries you choose to compare with.

I  run a  business here, however if another foreigner chooses to run a bar or a restaurant or some form of resort, or whatever as long as its legal it doesn't in my opinion justify him being killed, just because the business may be a success and pisses of locals, or he has upset locals by firing them, if you run a business you will at some point have to fire someone not all locals are angels you know. you will make enemy's working a business, and no matter how you happen to deal with a local when firing or reprimanding you don't deserve to die.............some posts here seem to suggest that if a business man works in a clean or shady area, then he brings death on as part of the job, or if you raise your voice or point your finger the wrong way then you are now responsible for bringing on the colt 45 wielding murderers. I happen to disagree, the only reason these murdering thugs can act the way they do is because the law is infective here. and if you want to continue to believe that you can compare security here with your home country, then don't forget the death squads from Davao and Cebu city who deal out there very final style of justice at there own whim.....................ever heard of any vigilante being caught and imprisoned?

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
chico2663
Posted
Posted

Quote from Australian Shooter Magazine:

"If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington, DC is 806 per 100,000 for the same period.

That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion:Americans should stay out of Washington!

one thing you guys aren't taking into account are black on black shootings. i worked in over-the rhine in cincinnati,ohio. It was rated the most dangerous place to live per usa today when i was working there. But the only whites that were killed ; was because they were buying drugs in the inner-city.When clinton tore down the projects alot of the "kids" were imported to my neighborhood. My house value went from 140,000 to 65,000. What i am saying is the values you guys are using are skewed. My girl lives in davao city but family live in trento,agusan del of sur. I never was scared at my job.(Had 5 customers that deaths were featured on the first 48) but am scared sh&tless of going to trento .I had guns drawn on me in 3rd ward of houston texas and also in cincinnati,ohio. My sil is from ozamis city,cousin husband is from betwaan. They both tell me to stay out of trento at this time but somehow can't make my gf understand my concerns. Bob from this forum has alleviated my fears about davao city but still not sure of trento. By the way thanks guys for this forum. enjoy it immense.ly

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Geeze this IS an Old one

JP :tiphat:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Davao itself is extremely safe. As you travel outside the city itself, you won't even really notice the difference. I was in Calinan which is just just 20 minutes north last week. I met a gentleman who was very open, friendly and gracious and, I found out a couple hours later, a member of the NPA. I've also met in Davao a gentleman or two who I was told were MILF... They too were very open, friendly and gracious... In our brief conversation, they related that they were very happy and hopeful of the current peace process... Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying I agree with their politics... But what I did see were s few men who were hoping for what they believed to be better lives for their children and eventually peace for all.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

On the tv show "United Stats of America", they said that there are more suicides in USA than homicides.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Geeze this IS an Old one

Did someone say that to you?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Did someone say that to you?

No I worked it all out on my own, It will be 2 years old Tomorrow, now that to me is an old one.

Not sure if this is Humour or some thing else, our other JP :)

• Like 1

chico2663
Posted
Posted (edited)

Does it make it any less relevant? Maybe everything over 2 years should be taken off the board.That way new guys can't read it and have someone make a wise crack.

Edited by chico2663

Chopper1050
Posted
Posted

I live in the UK and four years ago, when we were living in our house in Liloan, Cebu, we started monitoring the local media reports concerning killings. We didn't try to search for robberies etc. if deaths were not involved. We did this because it gradually dawned on us that we seemed to hear of a violent crime very frequently. What we discovered over a 3 month period was that there was AN AVERAGE of at least one REPORTED killing every day in Cebu. This included 'vigilante' killings but not bus accidents etc. When you consider how many crimes in general are not reported or recorded by the police for a variety of reasons our figure probably is on the low side. Most of these did not involve foreigners but there did seem to be an increasing trend in foreign deaths.

Now- at a very conservative estimate, this works out at about 350 to 400 killings in Cebu alone per year. If I compare this with a similar size city in the UK e.g. Birmingham, there would probably be no more than 10 killings per year there. Of course I know that the numbers of killings in the UK as a whole bear no comparison with those in the USA. Undoubtedly your US gun culture has a lot to do with it. Gun crimes are very rare in the UK where hardly anyone owns a gun.

Cebu figures for killings may not be too bad compared with Los Angeles but for those of us from countries like the UK they are disturbingly high.

As far as reported statistics are concerned I wouldn't believe those from the Philippines very much.  Chris McG.

I think this number of vigilante killings should rise by ten fold, then it will be a better place to live .... For non criminals . Vigilantes form when there is no effective , public , law enforcement and Ten criminals extinguished each day or more, would reduce their population eventually.

I was showing my gf , you tube videos of vigilante justice, one of them was a bag snatcher on a bus and the bus driver caught him in the door and beat him with a stick and then drove to a police checkpoint . Many were fromthe USA where robbers were shot or beaten by store workers. One video was an attemped bike napping, a citizen at he intersection got out of his car and shot the bike thief.