American National Parks Senior Pass

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is to alert Americans with the forum that one of the few remaining bargains might soon be gone.

If you are an American citizen or legal permanent resident, age 62 or older, domiciled in the United States (have an American address), you qualify for a senior pass to visit more than 300 national parks. The pass is lifetime and it costs only $10 plus an additional $10 for the application and processing. You can save on the $10 application and processing fee by asking for it at the entrance kiosk to the park. 500,000 seniors were issued passes last year and the government received $5 million for park related projects. Vandalism apparent is a big problem and the money is used for repairs.

Some members of Congress claim that it gives seniors an unfair advantage. To visit the Grand Canyon, the entrance fee is $25.00.  It is the same amount for Yosemite National Park. You can also purchase an annual pass for $80. The entrance fee is per carload of not more than four adults and children under the age of 12. It entitles you to seven days of in & out privileges or to stay within the park.

Members of Congress want the fees raised for seniors in that $10 for a lifetime pass is too cheap. I guess they are targeting all the retirees driving around in their RVs (Recreation Vehicles) visiting the parks.

As my wife and I move towards seni-retirement, our Bucket List (from the movie of the same title) includes visiting all 50 states and the national parks. Yesterday, I mailed my application before these stupid members of Congress impose rules changes (increased taxation). We already purchased vacation tickets to California in September. The departure date is after the end of summer and students are back in school. Our travel plans include driving to Sequioa, King's Canyon, Yosemite and Joshua Tree. There will be a smile on my face as I flash my senior pass to the ranger at the entrance kiosk. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

The US Government is in a constant quest to raise your taxes or make you pay a fee.

Hell, they even elected a President who wanted to "fundamentally" change the way America works.

"Change the way it works" is political speak for taking money from one class of people and distributing it to another class.

All in the name of "fairness"....oh hell yeah!!

I have the Park card.......works like a charm!!

Edited by dalidali
  • Like 2

softail
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea us old guys got a break.  I downloaded the form and will be sending it in tomorrow. I noticed that at the top of the form it says "expires in 02/2014".

Doug

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My sister has one and we used it last fall for several parks, and it saved us a bundle!

• Like 1