My Actual Spending For July 2013

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a pretty lax budget - I get p30,000 a month and i spend it.  So I decided to actually track every peso for one month.  There were 98 entries in the database on my phone and no way to port them to the computer - damn I miss my Palm!  Anyway... this is a good month because there were some unusual expenses to make it more expensive.  We joined PhilHealth and paid the quarterly dues for 2 individuals, my girlfriend took a trip home (I opted out of the 4 hour each direction bus ride!), and we had to buy gas for the kitchen.  Been in the house 5 months and it was our first refill.  Then to top it off someone recommended a grocery store for foreigner items... OMG I went crazy and spent p2,400 in 1 week!  We also sent a box of Palawan and underground river shirts to my kids - p2,200 for postage?!?!  Ouch. I did not have to go to immigration this month so that is not there.  Immigration is hard to budget because yesterdays visit was p3,240 but the one 2 months ago was p1,830, and he said next time would be about p2,400.  So... whatever.... 

We were both a bit surprised with how much we eat out.  We always have me, my girlfriend, and her cousin.  So the cost is for 3 people but there were 14 fast food visits for a total of p4532.  But we easily came in right around our p30,000 goal. 

There is a LOT of debate on "how much can I live on?"  And the answer is different for all of us!  I live in Oton, near Iloilo.  Not a big city so my prices may not be your prices.   I did just post some pics of my house so you can see how we live.  I like it but would not recommend it unless I knew you better ha ha  :tiphat:

July 2013 Spending

Normal expenses

3000 Rent

940 wet market

7219 Groceries

1428  Jeepney/taxi (3 people tons of jeepney rides!)

722 Cignal satellite tv

1267 Globe internet

2200 electric

60 water (Three 5 gallon jugs)

128 Tanduay Ice (4 bottles)

300 Phone Load (usually 500)

4532 Jollibees/Mang Inasal/Andoks etc  OMG!

1300 2 movies coke & popcorn for 3 people

23096 Sub total

Unusual or quarterly expenses

800 Trip home for girlfriend

400 condoms (been here 6 months finally ran out ha ha)

1669 House wares (mosquito netting, table, glassware, pillows - not usual expenses)

800 Clothes (very unusual for her to buy clothes)

910 Gas (Last tank lasted 5 months)

960 Phil Health (1 quarter for 2 individuals)

2250 Post Office (sent t-shirt gifts to my kids - NEVER again ha ha!)

7789 Sub total  Plus 23096= 30885

Hey King Tuka Ram,

Dang, you're one slick dude!  Four hundred condoms already?  Or is that the price of 400 pesos for 

a few condoms, extra large?  

You're the man -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Should of known... no it is p400, sorry I should have been more clear! 

But i won't say how many boxes I brought with me! (but there were 40 in each box)

:tiphat:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This is what I like to hear...  What the costs are and is a "smaller" budget liveable.  Sure, maybe some people don't like the idea of living in a native/local house....  Or don't like shopping at the local wet market.  I myself enjoy living the way the native/local life.  And if my Special Someone were to live in a NIpa Hut or buy all her food at the local market, I would enjoy living that way too.  I wanted to have as my signature line that "Life is meant to be lived all out" (but Curley beat me to it!) and, even though my life has slowed down lately, once I am boots on ground, look out world!  Here comes Bob!

• Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

OK, you got me, I am hooked.

You have motivated me, to take a video of our house and area, and will list our expenses for July as well.

I think you will find they are very similar, with maybe on exception......, NO CONDOMS!

Will try and get it posted this weekend.

Again, well done and thanks

Papa Carl

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
But even any other month, with 2 teenagers, my costs are much more than 30,000. Today, Saturday, is safety training. Last Thursday was Filipino Day (rent a gown, new shoes, food dish, etc)  Every year there are proms so rented gowns and new shoes. Both go to school in Bacolod so bus service is 2,000. Both need 2 new uniforms each year plus tuition and books. They are gone from 6 am to 7 pm so they need food allowances. Most weekends have special projects and materials. Then there are the incidentals like new keyboard, lost cell phone, light bulbs, hard drive, technicians, whacker, dippers, umbrellas, medicines, vitamins, house cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, door knob, garbage can, USB, tea kettle, fans, birthday parties, gifts, Christmas and New Year's parties, taxis, mosqito nets, glasses, cups, tools, paint, screens, light switches, pvc water leaks, repairs, fingernails, rebanding hair, school bags, gym shoes, dental, doctor check ups, lawyers, neighborhood patrols, and the list goes on above the basic normal monthly expenses. Things seem to not last here, they break easily. 

Wow! I am glad we raised two sons. 

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

Hmmm, I HATE condoms, Ever thought about getting her on the pill or getting the snip?

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm a child of the 80's.  We always had to use condoms.... just used to them, I guess.  Somehow my budget revolves around condoms ha ha  First time in 5 months I've bought any... should have left them off the list... youse guys....

:tiphat:

Edited by Tuka Ram
  • Like 5