Chinese Dating / Rating System / Far More Complex Than The Pinoy System.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I happen to live in China and can tell you there is a world of difference between PH and CN.

First of all, the women are ridiculously demanding. English teachers (the least respected and most ridiculed profession for foreigners in China both among expats and Chinese) making 2-3k USD/m will not do for any self-respecting lady.

And there is a ridiculous wealth-beauty gap in China. Poor women are almost without fail ugly and (very) rich ones (often) good looking. This is extremely pronounced in mainland China, visit 2nd or 3rd tier cities and you will know what I mean.

Add to that the very strategic and calculating way Chinese women go about dating men, and the whole scene very quickly loses its charm. Don't get me wrong, I do just fine there, but that's only because I happen to fit the rather narrow profile they have. I see German executives with uglier girlfriends in China than I see old American drunks in the Philippines.

Of course a majority of Chinese women have zero interest in dating a foreigner and don't speak the language anyway. One good thing is that Chinese women don't care about looks, they are fully conscious that their Chinese hubbies are butt ugly and will admit as much, but simply point out his other qualities which mostly include an introverted, frugal lifestyle and a good job.

So yes, there are plenty of 30 something attractive and wealthy leftover Chinese women, but they are just leftover because of their expections (prince charming and all that) not because there are no men available. If everyone wants to date up but men who have the choice prefer younger women there are bound to be leftovers...

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Many Chinese women are (a) calculating and (b) insane.

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

True and true, and for some reason have zero self-respect once you've dated them. They will not take no for an answer. 

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

True and true, and for some reason have zero self-respect once you've dated them. They will not take no for an answer. 

"Don't ask me how I know that!"... :cheersty:

"Bunny Boiler" does not begin to describe it!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I happen to live in China and can tell you there is a world of difference between PH and CN. First of all, the women are ridiculously demanding.
I suppouse they CAN be, because of the Chinese one-child law, which have made a shortage of women in China.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I happen to live in China and can tell you there is a world of difference between PH and CN. First of all, the women are ridiculously demanding.
I suppouse they CAN be, because of the Chinese one-child law, which have made a shortage of women in China.

Well not really to be honest. There is a surplus of unmarried migrant workers, not handsome, intelligent bachelor millionaires. 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

"He has to be:

Good Looking

Tall*

Educated

Rich

"and he has to buy me an apartment and a car and pay bride price""

* This is tough on the Cantonese!

An academic paper on marriage in China is here:

http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=3994741&fileOId=3994798

Note that China, like the Philippines, is a place where the bridegroom pays for his bride, (Bride Price) as opposed to the bride's family paying someone to take a daughter off  their hands (dowry)

The article refers to another academic article in which the author argues that competition in  the marriage market due to the inbalance in the sexes is responsible for 25% of China's annual growth in GDP, or 2% out of the typical 8% annualk growth. Parents of boys start saving to meet their son's marriage obligations from an early age.

I have long noticed that amongst my Chinese colleagues men who have daughters are much happier than men who have sons.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

"He has to be:

Good Looking

Tall*

Educated

Rich

An academic paper on marriage in China is here:http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=3994741&fileOId=3994798

Note that China, like the Philippines, is a place where the bridegroom pays for his bride, (Bride Price) as opposed to the bride's family paying someone to take a daughter off  their hands (dowry)

The article refers to another academic article in which the author argues that competition in  the marriage market due to the inbalance in the sexes is responsible for 25% of China's annual growth in GDP, or 2% out of the typical 8% annualk growth. Parents of boys start saving to meet their son's marriage obligations from an early age.

I have long noticed that amongst my Chinese colleagues men who have daughters are much happier than men who have sons.

But many times a family will abort a baby girl. Crazy place.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

"He has to be:

Good Looking

Tall*

Educated

Rich

An academic paper on marriage in China is here:http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=3994741&fileOId=3994798

But many times a family will abort a baby girl. Crazy place.

Not so much anymore, that is (mostly) a thing of the past. Nowadays many urban residents don't care or even prefer girls. Might be different among rural people still but due to the reasons mentioned above that will soon balance out.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Yes, girls are preferred amongst the better educated people.

I foresee that many Filipinas will be marrying Chinese husbands just as many marry Koreans today.