Guitars

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

i have an acoustic/electric bass that has been following me around for years. the price to ship it over is astronomical because of the size and weight of a hard shell case. i think i will donate it to someone i have in mind here and try to hunt a new one down once i arrive.

i imagine there are quality music stores in major centres? if a similar guitar new goes for $1000 (ovation, martin jr, gibson), could i find a replacement  for the same dollar? any chance of buying used?

softail
Posted
Posted

Lots of guitar shops on Mactan. 

Here is the website for Alegre Guitars: http://wn.com/Alegre_Guitars_Cebu_Philippines

If it is against the rules to post there website the mods should feel free to delete it.

Doug

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

All the Major Malls have music stores, so you can pick up most instruments although I did have problems finding a 5 string Banjo recently, however I did find plenty of 6 string guitar Banjos, if your coming to Cebu, as mentioned in a previous post theres also plenty of guitars available in and around Mactan, the link below is simply to a free classified adds site, it will give you an idea of whats available and rough estimate of costs

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+category/id/135/province/Cebu/Musical+Instruments

John

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Doug,

The links to guitars you provided is absolutely correct and helpful. The rules are clear on what can and can not be posted. Thanks again for taking the time to post that link and your information on Mactan shops.

Spamming

All spammers will be banned immediately, no one is to post advertisements on this forum unless permission is granted by an admin. Members who use PM or send email to other members for the purpose of spamming them will be removed without notice.

Links

Adding links to your post is allowed if the link is for information regarding the Philippines and/or relates to the topic. The exception is links to dating sites, sex sites, blogs and other forums or what would otherwise be considered spam.
Anyone who abuses this privilege will be removed from the forum. If you are unsure of what is allowed then contact us before posting.
Personal blog links must also seek permission.
Note
If a member posts links for personal gain such as directing members to a site that he/she owns to make a sale or to encourage someone to join that site then the discretion of the admin prevails as to whether it will be allowed so its always best to seek permission first.

• Like 1

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

that rocks! thanks for the info! i saw a 5 string laramie for sale. very unique and unusual. keith richards was the innovator i believe as he took ry cooder's open tuning method and you automatically delete the 6th string. that is why it is difficult to do cover tunes of the stone's post 70's music. well, depending on where i find to settle down, would love to start playing again.

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

that rocks! thanks for the info! i saw a 5 string laramie for sale. very unique and unusual. keith richards was the innovator i believe as he took ry cooder's open tuning method and you automatically delete the 6th string. that is why it is difficult to do cover tunes of the stone's post 70's music. well, depending on where i find to settle down, would love to start playing again.

Hi Bc you might like to try and play one of these when you arrive

http://filipinofestival.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/bandurria-the-instrument-of-the-philippines/

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

i have a hard enough time with 4 strings. what a great sounding instrument. simple chording like a mandoline. loved the vid. duelling bandurrias, ha! i like music played with sharp notes. adds more feeling and soul. there is a local jam night here with lots of real classic instruments from visitors around the world. my son plays sitar and joined in one night. hard instrument to follow because of all the ancient chording and tuning. 27 strings i believe.  just curious, anything of a blues following in the philippines? my gal's aunt has a radio station that plays all 60's and 70's(thank you lord, no 80's disco). so if they like 60's rock, maybe they like the blues. that's what early rock and roll was based on.

johnb
Posted
Posted

i have a hard enough time with 4 strings. what a great sounding instrument. simple chording like a mandoline. loved the vid. duelling bandurrias, ha! i like music played with sharp notes. adds more feeling and soul. there is a local jam night here with lots of real classic instruments from visitors around the world. my son plays sitar and joined in one night. hard instrument to follow because of all the ancient chording and tuning. 27 strings i believe.  just curious, anything of a blues following in the philippines? my gal's aunt has a radio station that plays all 60's and 70's(thank you lord, no 80's disco). so if they like 60's rock, maybe they like the blues. that's what early rock and roll was based on.

I havent been to any blues places, but have bumped into many acoustic bands playing in various bars within the Philippines, theirs some real talent here, I dont use face book but heres a link to a Philippine music place, choose your night carefully

https://www.facebook.com/theoutpostrestobar

John

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If you happen to be coming to the Subic Bay Freeport, a new Guitar Center outlet is opening soon.