Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Initial costs being what they are, you will need to have a round trip or outward trip air ticket to enter so they know you will leave. For Thailand, I obtained a visa before I left USA so only paid one way. For continuing visas for the first 16 months, Phils is dead easy, cheap, and FAST eapecially in smaller cities like Bacolod, where Thailand you take a $60, 7 hour van trip to the border every 30 days. After 16 months in Phils, you will have to buy 3 air tickets to get out, come back, and have an exit proof.
Earlier I planed to settle in Thailand, but after studying the conditions for LONG TIME staying and laws for own company for foreigners, although Philippine fees and laws are a pain in the a...  too, I found it less bad in Phils.

If married to a Filipina, the VISA cost can be reduced much.

I haven't checked proper for Phils, but in Thailand a PERMANENT VISA/citizenship cost very much if ever being aproved...

• Like 2

Ruben Scouse
Posted
Posted

Good to read all the posts here, has taught me a lot, the $1000 a month seems do-able it seems as long as your not a drunk or a skirt chaser, lucky I am too old for either of those, maybe a quiet beer at a local restaurant with a pretty lady seems the way to go. Just to remind myself of the price difference, today I bought a packet of 30 cigs here, costs in pesos 820, no wonder I don't smoke too often. Looking forward to the adventure, have a good one

How about a buget of $3300 US a month if you are a beer drinker and skirt chaser..? (I don't smoke) :-)

I am sooooo looking forward to Asia next year... roll on pension age..!!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
Dogfude7
Posted
Posted

Avoid taxis if possible and take jeepneys and sidecars (shorter trips), I have had to live without ground turkey!

But you can but it at S & R in Mandaue City which caters to American tastes - for 700 per membership.

Otherwise you can't buy a centavos worth. Also, Roustan's at Ayala Mall is pretty neat too. I have a Filipino

GF, who watches every penny, so,to speak...Living on 30,000 p a month including rent. About $750.00 US.

It can be done.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dogfude7, you are not the only member who lives well under a thousand USD. I think the key is having a loving Filipina doing much of the shopping. If living on a very small budget avoiding da Kano Discount is necessary.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have a Filipino GF, who watches every penny, so,to speak...Living on 30,000 p a month including rent.
That's good!  That's even lower than I hope I "can" live at.

Even better if you tell it more detailed  :)   what you get for 30 000p and what each part cost roughly.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I know it can be done. It may mean breaking some ingrained habits like retail therapy. If you are often bored and retail therapy is your outlet, you aren't going to do too well in my humble opinion.

I think Thomas is on to some excellent ideas, hobbies and durable goods, the gifts that keep on giving. :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Thanks Dogfude7, you are not the only member who lives well under a thousand USD. I think the key is having a loving Filipina doing much of the shopping. If living on a very small budget avoiding da Kano Discount is necessary.

It would be great if some international correspondent does a story about someone living on less than $1,000 a month. This may inspire others to say, "I have $2,000 a month. I can live like a king in the Philippines!"

Dogfude7
Posted
Posted

No problem Old55... We eat soup 3-4x a week, cabbage, onions, chicken- chicken if you buy it costs about 148 pesos. My girl boils it.

Pretty plain eating, I admit, but we are committed to being stingy. My pension is just over $1200.00 a month, or about 53,000 p give or take. I give her total control over the purse strings-and she still asks me if its ok to buy an item. If she says pineapple is too expensive this week, I am on board. Try buying vegetables from roadside stands-much cheaper than Robinson or PureGold. We don't eat pork (adobo) or red meat- a budget killer. Rent is 13,000 p a month, rather have a decent abode, than blow it on expensive food.

If you enjoy beer, Miguel costs 32p a can...stay home a couple days a week ..you can't spend money at home...lot of canned stuff for under 35p..make a budget and stick to it...eat boring food...load up on rice and pasta, eggs- real cheap. But I do miss my garlic hummus!

Good luck!

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rent is 13,000 p a month, rather have a decent abode, than blow it on expensive food.

Hey DogFude,

That was a head shot bulls eyes!  Your suggestion above is a valid compromise to balance your lifestyle

in which you have adapted so well.  I also, would rather spend a little bit more on rental with better family

security and perhaps, better neighbors.   

For some of us, introducing your taste buds to new and exotic foods will immediately cause nausea, just

by the visual and smell impact.  However, there are many local cuisines that are absolutely delicious.  For

example, there are many styles of cooking adobo, depending on the province.  

Sure you will find the wet market full of flies surrounding the chicken, fish, pork or meat but I have never

had any stomach aliments as long as it is cooked well done.  Sorry folks, but your taste for rare or medium

rare steaks requires some drastic lifestyle changes.

Thank you for your comments, respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have written a post or two about my living on $800.  It is doable - but tough.  I always say I enjoy it but would not recommend it.  My biggest problem is travel.  We love to go check out other islands... and it does not really fit in a p30,000 budget.  So I have dipped into savings a few times this year for trips.  I need to stop doing that ha ha!

Todays breakfast is fried rice with a scrambled egg.  She uses yesterdays rice for fried rice.... wait a minute we did not eat at home yesterday (we were at a wedding all day) how old is this rice?

• Like 2