Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Todays breakfast is fried rice with a scrambled egg.  She uses yesterdays rice for fried rice.... wait a minute we did not eat at home yesterday (we were at a wedding all day) how old is this rice?

Three days. One week with refrigeration. As the cooked rice becomes drier, it is easier to make good fried rice using a wok. Don't forget the garlic, lots of it.

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Yeah we do the same thing as I still haven't got the hang of how many cups go in to begin with..... There's always plenty of left over when I'm the chef!

so just popping it in the fridge overnight always ensures that I wake up to the glorious smell of garlic fried rice the next morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Ours tends to stay in rice cooker overnight - I prefer the refrigerator...  and yes there is tons of garlic! 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

From a budgetary point and the ability to live in the Philippines for less than $1,000 a month, it makes sense to become a rice eater. Quality bread like whole grain is usually expensive. The retail prices for rice include a large subsidy for farmers.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have not been a big rice eater in the past but I can eat rice with every meal, just not as every meal. I tried the locally produced rice, brown and white and there was little difference so I stuck with the brown rice for the nutrition. I love the spicy pancit canton noodles also and they are not budget breakers either. I do have to admit that I did occasionally crave meat and the meat locally sourced was not exactly the meat I was used too but I found loganisa sausages from the wet market decently good and reasonably priced. This might vary from wet market to wet market. :)

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If you enjoy beer, Miguel costs 32p a can.

If you look back in a similar topic, Americano let us know of an even better deal on beer. Buy a 6 pack of Red Horse liters (equal to 18 bottles) from the wholesaler for 330p. That works out to 18.3p per regular sized bottle. That is my kind of 3 in 1. Thanks again Americano! I even like the taste better, SML is too weak.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Quality bread like whole grain is usually expensive. The retail prices for rice include a large subsidy for farmers.
Yes, I know brown rice cost more of some odd reason.

Isn't brown tice just harvested rice where the husks have been taken away?  = SAME as what's in the sacks BEFORE milling it?

If so, just by a sack from a farmer BEFORE it's milled.

- The higher price make A BIT sence by it's less resistant, because if not parboiled bugs are there easier, and the expireing date is SHORTER because of some nutricion, which white have lost, can be stored shorter.*

- Much less demand, so I suppouse it can be higher handling and transport cost per kilo.

+ Need less processing work  (?)

+ Many more percent LEFT to be food by less is taken away.

*Later expiring date if parboiling the rice. The boiling kill bugs.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Isn't brown tice just harvested rice where the husks have been taken away?  = SAME as what's in the sacks BEFORE milling it? If so, just by a sack from a farmer BEFORE it's milled.

The palay (unhusked rice grains) are purchased from growers. It is milled and resold at a lower price. The government subsidy is the price difference. Brown rice is only partially husked and therefore there is no subsidy. Doesn't make sense, but that's the government. . 

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Isn't brown tice just harvested rice where the husks have been taken away?  = SAME as what's in the sacks BEFORE milling it? If so, just by a sack from a farmer BEFORE it's milled.

The palay (unhusked rice grains) are purchased from growers. It is milled and resold at a lower price. The government subsidy is the price difference. Brown rice is only partially husked and therefore there is no subsidy. Doesn't make sense, but that's the government. . 

Not only make no sence, it's stupid. Give subsidy to TAKE AWAY nutricion. Extra bad in a poor country :1 (103):

--

Palay = before doing anything with it (?)

Brown rice = when it's treched but not milled?    =Only taken away the husks, which often are laying beside the fields?

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is alot of bran on the rice before it is milled. Brown, partly milled rice tastes good to me, I don't know how the unmilled rice would taste.

Edited by robert k