Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

Alby
Posted
Posted

I use an app on my iPhone called, iSpending.

It's Sep 19 now and it says 43,410 Pesos for both. My rent is 18k pesos now.

Now out of that I gave 2k pesos to my gf brother. Another 2k pesos for some kid school supplies and enrolled my gf in PhilHealth for 2,400 peso.

Mind you, I can afford a lot more but then I am trying to find the minimum that will work then expand later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am only putting in what i can afford to lose

Me too.  I calculated what I would pay in rent over the next few years vs the risk of a low cost housing unit and made my decision.  A dream house, for me, is just an illusion.  I had that with my second wife and it did not make me any happier.

I am only 50 so I should have enough years left that I could justify building over renting.  But I am happy renting.  If the neighborhood goes to crap I can move easily.  And I cannot own anyway.  I will just make sure and leave her enough money that she can build if she wants, after I am gone   :tiphat:.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

My planning is easier, nobody in my family has ever made it to 80! Oh sure, I will try, it's just not going to happen. If I can just make the threescore and ten without becoming a leafy green vegetable, I will be elated. :tiphat:

• Like 2

tomaw
Posted
Posted

I just realized something. If I didn't have to pay rent and spend a fortune on gas for my van every day, I could easily live on $1,000 a month IN LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY CALIFORNIA! ( $1000 / 30 days= $33.33 a day.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Larry45
Posted
Posted

I'm new here, but I live on $1000 a month, hence my continuation of this insightful thread.  I'm a bit blessed as my wife has a very good job and her family is quite small.  Almost all of her salary goes to school loans, home improvement loans for parents, tuition for younger sister, etc, etc.  If I was paying for all that, I couldn't do it.   I contribute $1000 each month and we are all quite happy.  We don't have a car or own our home, as we are short timers and plan to go back to US in 2 years.  Here's how it breaks down:

Rent for 3 bdrm, 2 bath house...5000

Elec, cable, water, internet...5000 (we run air-con 14 hours a day)

Grocery....10000

Supplies...5000

Toddler...5000

Beer out....5000

Being nice to wife after going out for beer....5000

If you have few vices, it's not that hard to live a good life here on $1000 a month.   :thumbsup:  

• Like 3

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm new here, but I live on $1000 a month, hence my continuation of this insightful thread. I'm a bit blessed as my wife has a very good job and her family is quite small. Almost all of her salary goes to school loans, home improvement loans for parents, tuition for younger sister, etc, etc. If I was paying for all that, I couldn't do it. I contribute $1000 each month and we are all quite happy. We don't have a car or own our home, as we are short timers and plan to go back to US in 2 years. Here's how it breaks down:

Rent for 3 bdrm, 2 bath house...5000

Elec, cable, water, internet...5000 (we run air-con 14 hours a day)

Grocery....10000

Supplies...5000

Toddler...5000

Beer out....5000

Being nice to wife after going out for beer....5000

If you have few vices, it's not that hard to live a good life here on $1000 a month. :thumbsup:

Thanks! This looks very encouraging. Where do you live and for how Manny people is this for? We plan on building a house in a subdivision a short drive outside Cebu City or in Cebu Province. Since the house will be built and paid for, following your example, we should be able to live on $778.29 a month! (35,000/ 44.97p per $ = $778.29). Edited by tomaw

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome Larry.

I contribute $1000 each month

Notice Larry says "contribute". Most of us are the sole "bread winner". I agree with almost everything everyone has said. Yes it is possible to live on USD 1000 here or even less. I am just extremely grateful that I don't have to.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Welcome Larry.

Notice Larry says "contribute". Most of us are the sole "bread winner". I agree with almost everything everyone has said. Yes it is possible to live on USD 1000 here or even less. I am just extremely grateful that I don't have to.

Very valid point on the dual income.. Most of us will be there on our own income only.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Welcome Larry.

Maybe 'contribute' was a poor choice of words, as I cover all the expenses of my family.  Wife uses her paycheck to help her family, as that's something we agreed upon.  Her family is small and they all have good jobs too, so those are other qualities that facilitates living on a small budget.  I only have to provide for the 3 of us, which is good because I don't get a check every month!   :unsure:   I work online also, and take care of my daughter during they day, so we are very busy and don't really have much time to spend money.  If we had lots of time on our hands, or lived in a nice place like Paranaque, we would struggle to get by on $2000.      

• Like 2

tomaw
Posted
Posted

Perhaps things would be clearer if people mentioned what they get for $1,000 a month and if that includes rent or house payment. If the house is already paid for it can make a big difference. Also things like taxes and HOA Fees can vary a lot.