Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Well Brett once you come here you can take it up again, Marvel Menthols at the supermarket 187 pesos carton of 10

Uggghhh, don't tell me that!  It's been hard enough as it is and the financial was the main reason in the end!!  <mutters something about never once saying he likes Chris>

Just trying to help old son :tiphat:

• Like 2

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Brett, keep up the good non-smoking fight! If you're thinking about finances to motivate you, add the following expenses: mouthwash, breath strips, gum, Febreeze fabric refresher, cologne, frequent dental cleanings...things that a smoker needs. (My grandfather was a heavy smoker, as was my ex). You save money, smell better, and live longer. More fun for you!

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I stopped smoking, after 30+ years, in China, surrounded by cheap good cigarettes, in 1999. I have not thought about it since.

K smokes, and to her surprise I told her that she will stop when she feels like it. It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

She on the other hand has scared me into the gym...

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

i agree with you Mike B not a good idea to move there with only $1,000 a month. Unless you have a huge nest egg. I still think a $1,000 a month is a pipe dream. I am coming there with my Social Security of $2,378 a month and a $500,000 nest egg and i am worried.

I am 67 and i know i am way short of what is needed to retire. i am hoping my current good health hangs on for at least five more years then maybe my money just may last.

Poker Mike also a Mike B

if i had that amount i would be off like a shot, what are you worried about with that sort of income

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Now Mike, I smile Smirk here attachicon.gifSmirking.JPG we are a little off topic I think but it is all Relevant, so I will continue. You are already living in one of the Worlds most expensive Health Care Countries,

Now you say it worries you to move to a country that at the very Costliest, It will be no where near what you will pay in the US. Here, Health care is getting what you can pay for, now to me and it is only My Opinion here, You seem to be going the Wrong way on this, Without even beginning to upset you or anyone else, did you ever stop and consider.

With $ 500k Banked and disposable income monthly of $ 2+k

Surely man, you can afford just about the Goddamn best, Health Insurance possible. Now My friend, Sit and explore this as I am sure, this is the way to Go. Doing it now, will ensure the Pre-exsiting clause's does not come in  :thumbsup:

JP (thinking ahead for others as always.stretcher.gif no need for this. When it can be wheelchair.gif old age that gets you)

Remembering that a ticket Home for both of you, will only be $3k max if it all went wrong. Worry and Stress No one needs, If I were in your shoes, I would  not even  blink an eye. :no:

:tiphat:

well said that man

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

i agree with you Mike B not a good idea to move there with only $1,000 a month. Unless you have a huge nest egg. I still think a $1,000 a month is a pipe dream. I am coming there with my Social Security of $2,378 a month and a $500,000 nest egg and i am worried.

I am 67 and i know i am way short of what is needed to retire. i am hoping my current good health hangs on for at least five more years then maybe my money just may last.

Poker Mike also a Mike B

Suspect you have added a zero to many.

Nobody with half a mill (unless pesos) nest egg could possibly be concerned.

We would average less than $1000 a month by far, if still living in Cebu not. Once one goes to smaller cities or towns it's amazingly cheaper.

I know what we will live on and what we can live on once we have made the move,

Me and the missis has this little game about what things would cost us over in the Phils, and when we eat what that would cost us to have there too,

All i can say its as cheap as you want or as dear as you want,

My Ems lived in the Phils till she was 35 so she does know what she is on about about the cost of things, they was not rich but also was not poor either, but when she says all we need is this to be happy, well i believe her, its just the emergency fund and what i can leave her once i have gone that we are working hard at now

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
sorry PM but with that sort of income and savings, Just What are you worried about?

On a previous visit, PM spent $16,000 in 2 weeks. At that rate, $500,000 will last 62 weeks. The pension will be chump change.

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted
On a previous visit, PM spent $16,000 in 2 weeks. At that rate, $500,000 will last 62 weeks. The pension will be chump change.

Even in California or New York that's ridiculously extravagant!

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Yes that is a lot of ,money , it is one months pay for me. When i go there for a few weeks i live well becuase i am on vacation and visiting my wifes family, helping them out and letting them take turns traveling with us. The hotels i stay at are usually over 12,000 pesos per night and i usually get more than one room. Yes you are right my retirement money is chump change if you are over 60 and have not saved over $500,000 US you are hurting. When i quit working i will not spend money like that. My plan is to spend $3,500 a month living there, hoping that i can adjust to that number. Yes that might be a lot for some people but i dont consider myself rich if anything just average

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

They say every cloud has a silver lining post-2148-0-89367900-1414306608.jpgthey also say that the Sparks Die out post-2148-0-00503900-1414306666_thumb.jp From some of the things we are reading lately lets hope it is not a  fool and his Money are soon Parted  

Big talk, can put people into Another Topic

post-2148-0-84440600-1414306895.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson