Can I Really Live On $1000 A Month In The Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sounds like my little pot of money will not go as far as i thought compared to what other may have.

But wait a minute,

My plan for what i have will work for me ,  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Julia
Posted
Posted

I know i am not happy here in Scottsdale.

Culture in the Philippines is completely different than here in the states. Life is much *much* slower.

The main attribute you need to survive and thrive there is patience. Many things will not proceed as you are accustomed to. Just accept those things and try to understand them as best you can and you will be miles ahead of most other foreigners.

Just relax, because (as long as you have some money, but not an enormous amount) life is just so much less worrisome from day to day.

If I haven't recommended this book to you yet, please read: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Shock-Philippines-Survival-Etiquette/dp/9814484016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417721753&sr=8-1&keywords=culture+shock+Philippines

Amazon is out of stock currently, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. There is an old edition you can get used: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Philippines-Survival-Customs-Etiquette/dp/1558680896/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417721753&sr=8-2&keywords=culture+shock+Philippines

These books will help you much better understand the culture. Don't expect to learn all aspects of culture from your wife. There are many things that she takes for granted that she will not even think to explain. For a small example, Filipinos use subtle body language as part of their routine communication. An open mouth will indicate they didn't understand. Raising the eyebrows means yes. Yes frequently means no. :lol:

Get that book and at least skim through it. You'll be thankful you did.

:th_thbestpost:

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Thats crazy thats what happened to me also , i feel quilty now wish i had thought of that. some philpino gardners almost bought everything. My wifes family could have used so much of the clothes from my kids , a lot were brand new , sold them for 25 cents. sold my tommy bahama shirts worth over $100 for $1.   What a waste!

You could have donated a lot of your clothes to the Salvation Army or other charity, and taken a nice tax deduction. You might come out ahead more then a buck.

russellmania
Posted
Posted

What about your live poker play where was most of that done? i wonder what my visa costs will be , since i married to a phillipina, plus a veteran , i hear it might be cheaper for me.  Does anyone know?  John we might cross path at a poker table so lets stay out of each others way, hate to bust you , since you have helped me answer some of my questions. ha ha just kidding

if we make a final table together chop,chop  ok  Poker Mike

Also I heard that u.s. military can import their private vehicle to the Philippines. If you care to do that. Somebody correct me if I got some bad info.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Also I heard that u.s. military can import their private vehicle to the Philippines. If you care to do that. Somebody correct me if I got some bad info.

Russell, not sure about military private imports but i think you may find this customs link a good place to start looking.

http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/motor-vehicles-boats-yachts/

Hope it helps some. 

JP :tiphat:

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Well forum members i had a great day today, i had the privelge of meeting JJ Reyes today and his wife Cathi. We had lunch together , i am so grateful for all the advice that has been given to me on this forum, but finally meeting a member and his wife was great. They are really classy couple and were full of advice for me. They live well traveling around in their nice camper , first class unit.

Russlemania i did donate a lot to Salvation Army b ut because of last years salary its not enough to get a deduction , but hope fully at least it helped somebody needy. Tomorrow i am going to donate a lot of baseballs to a little league oragnization so they can auction them off , was going to save them for my kids but they told me to donate them. What great children i have, will miss them. I will come home every year but still will be tough leaving them.

I am sure my oldest daughter will visit me there just like me a complete adventure junkie bordering on crazy. She is the true meaning of lean and mean.

Closing i would like to say thanks again to JJ and his wife Cathi its a good day when you make new friends. pratice on saving already took them to Taco Bell     Later Poker Mike

• Like 5